Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

LX headers on EX Head?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoseyEm2 is an unknown quantity at this point
LX headers on EX Head?

Manifold cracked, just gonna buy a new one. Can I get LX headers? Will it fit fine? In the process of doing a A2 headswap.
Old 05-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LX headers on EX Head?

Removing the manifold (assembly with the cat) and replacing with a plain header will cause catalytic converter fault code P0420.
Old 05-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Removing the manifold (assembly with the cat) and replacing with a plain header will cause catalytic converter fault code P0420.
Okay well I guess I'll just go to the junkyard. How would I clean a catalyst converter? Would an LX exhaust manifold fit on a EX head?
Old 05-06-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Another option, you could get a stock EX exhaust header and cat, along with some O2 sensor extension harnesses to relocate them.

Does your car have to pass emissions testing?
Old 05-06-2017
Registered!!

Another option, you could get a stock EX exhaust header and cat, along with some O2 sensor extension harnesses to relocate them.

Yeah it does. I just thought I'd clean it out to have a good catalyst.
Old 05-07-2017

Then you may need to figure out what the regulations are in your area and what sort of checks will be done.
Does everything have to pass a visual inspection and be strictly stock as it came from the factory?
Is it simply inspecting for fault codes, nothing else?
Tailpipe snifff emissions test?
Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

Then you may need to figure out what the regulations are in your area and what sort of checks will be done.
Does everything have to pass a visual inspection and be strictly stock as it came from the factory?
Is it simply inspecting for fault codes, nothing else?
Tailpipe snifff emissions test?
No it's none of that. I just like to clean used things. I live in Florida so it's not strict. What can you use to clean it? I know there's a mesh inside of it. Would something like brake cleaner or carb cleaner work? Or do I have to use an specific product?
Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

I'm sorry I misread what you said. Nah my car is okay for emissions.
Old 05-07-2017

I'm not aware of any viable product or method that can truly "clean" a cat substrate (that's the guts or element inside the shell) and restore lost efficiency to sustainable levels. Many products make claims, but none are guaranteed to deliver....and every good sales pitch I've ever heard was based on junk science. At best you're buying a short period of time before failure happens again.

I'm sure you can find references and videos showing various cleaning attempts that look and sound good, but no guarantees and many can cause more harm than good. There are also cheap tricks that can get around setting cat fault codes, but wouldn't pass a visual exam of your emissions systems at test time.

Re: used cat
If you can see around corners (some styles of cat) you might be able to get a light at one end of the substrate and be able to look through the substrate and see that light to determine if it may be clogged or not, but you'd never be able to tell if it will pass the computers self testing because the computer judges the cat on its ability to store and release Oxygen and that happens on a microscopic level inside.

Get a cat, bolt it on, connect proper O2 sensors.
Erase fault codes. Drive it a few days. Check readiness monitors to see if the cat monitor has run and passed with no fault code set. If so, you got a decent one.

You could try brazing the cracks shut in your original unit too, that could buy some time if it hadn't already set fault codes.
Old 05-08-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RoseyEm2
Okay well I guess I'll just go to the junkyard. How would I clean a catalyst converter? Would an LX exhaust manifold fit on a EX head?
it will fit, but you will need to change the other pipes too, from what i understand?

EX - CAT is after downpipe
LX - CAT is in the header

you have an EX and wants to put LX? That's the opposite of what others want to
Old 05-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
it will fit, but you will need to change the other pipes too, from what i understand?

EX - CAT is after downpipe
LX - CAT is in the header

you have an EX and wants to put LX? That's the opposite of what others want to
No I have a LX and I'm converting to VTEC so I'm putting a EX head. Just asking what I should get .
Old 05-09-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Best way to clean a cat is the same as cleaning a fish..gut it.
Just don't tell uncle Sam and live in a state without emmission checks.
Old 05-09-2017

Originally Posted by RoseyEm2
No I have a LX and I'm converting to VTEC so I'm putting a EX head. Just asking what I should get .
I'd say do it one step at a time.....so
For simplicity, for the moment, just reuse the manifold and cat the car has in it now. LX manifold bolts to the EX head no problem.

After you have the head and VTEC all working like you want and know it's good, then dink with changing out the exhaust as you desire.
Old 05-09-2017
Registered!!

I'd say do it one step at a time.....so
For simplicity, for the moment, just reuse the manifold and cat the car has in it now. LX manifold bolts to the EX head no problem.

After you have the head and VTEC all working like you want and know it's good, then dink with changing out the exhaust as you desire.
Yeah I guess I mean I didn't really care about headers I'd probably go to an exhaust shop and have them make one that can fit. I just wanted to know if the LX manifold can fit on the EX head
Old 05-09-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ah, OK, so then use a LX header - it will cost more for the CAT, but if EX, the wiring need to be longer to reach the O2 sensor. its much easier to use existing wiring.
Old 05-09-2017

I just wanted to know if the LX manifold can fit on the EX head
Oh yeah it will, no problem. Pattern is exactly the same.