Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

New member...new Civic driver...lookin for some more HP and got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inkubus is an unknown quantity at this point
New member...new Civic driver...lookin for some more HP and got some questions

hey yall
as the title says I'm new to honda, new to this forum...have hondaheads as friends irl. hopefully yall can answer some of my questions.

first off I got 02 civic ex manual trans. great car but I know it could be better. now I want some more hp in this thing than what came stock.

I figure in the future I will do an engine swap, k20a2 or something like that. but not for a while yet. this car has 89k miles on it which is good...low...and I'd rather be more stable in life when I do a swap...so I'd just like smaller gains for now. 1. unless you guys think a swap would be better idea?

if not...figure Ill get intake tubes on ebay, buy an AEM filter and drop it in...save some money there, get a better exhaust after reading more of the exhaust sticky. then maybe crower stage 1 cam. 2. what kind of boost would those 3 things give (intake, exhaust, s1 cam)?

if a swap is better for my situation...3. will I need a crower stage 1 cam? or will it not matter at that point? and I figure Ill still need to get a better intake and exhaust anyway

so what do yall think? any help is appreciated.

EDIT: probably would help for you to know what I'm looking for: better acceleration, especially from a stop. I'd like better sound than stock. and some more horses under my hood...if you suggest not doing swap yet, then just enough to make this thing move a bit better...again, especially from a stop.

Last edited by Inkubus; 07-07-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: New member...new Civic driver...lookin for some more HP and got some questions

Welcome!

Things to make it accelerate faster:

1.) Headers, Intake, Exhaust
2.) Stage 1 Cam. Stage 2 for more
3.) Sticky tires

A swap is always a better option if you want to make the car faster, but I agree that it should be done when your finances are in order as it will cost 3k-5k.

Buying a cam for the D17 that is in your civic at the moment is not going to help with a k swap. They are not interchangeable and the k series has 2 camshafts.

Suspension mods seem to be what most people start out with but if you really want to make it a little quicker (not faster) then save for the stage 1, intake and headers.
Old 07-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inkubus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New member...new Civic driver...lookin for some more HP and got some questions

Thanks GolNat. I've been lurking since before I got the car, seen your posts around a lot, helpful stuff from you.

Thanks for clearing up the cam thing for me.
I'll be doing intake/exhaust then. I was thinking get a cheapo CAI from ebay, swap out the crap filter it comes w/ for a higher quality filter. Good idea, or should I buy tubing from a brand as well?
And yeah, new header might be a good investment.

And suspension mods...I know for one I am gonna want to lower the car. I'm sure I'll be back in the suspension forums in no time with questions...
Old 07-07-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Inkubus
Thanks GolNat. I've been lurking since before I got the car, seen your posts around a lot, helpful stuff from you.
Thanks, I try.

I was thinking get a cheapo CAI from ebay, swap out the crap filter it comes w/ for a higher quality filter. Good idea, or should I buy tubing from a brand as well?
Most people end up doing exactly that. Just swapping the eBay filter for a nice one. There may be slight fitment issues with some of them but I am not sure which ones. There should be a "rate your intake" thread somewhere.

And suspension mods...I know for one I am gonna want to lower the car. I'm sure I'll be back in the suspension forums in no time with questions...
Makes the car look better and increases handling, it's a win win!