Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

01 civic stock air box mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skinner1790 is an unknown quantity at this point
01 civic stock air box mod

ok so i would like my intake deeper but stock look the air resinator box is it needed can i gutt the inside. i dont want a cai but i want the deeper sound thought about maybe k&n drop in filter but idk i want some ideas please
Old 02-02-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 01 civic stock air box mod

Yes you can gut your stock air box. You could also remove the resonator, leave the filter box on top of the throttle body and add a snorkel on the end of the box. Filter replacement is up to you.
Old 02-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'd have to cut the resonator box apart to gut it....It's one piece.

Just remove the resonator box completely, leave the stock air filter inside the breather box attached to the throttle body.

You will get ALL the sucking sound from the intake that way, at zero cost.
Plus you will be able to see the top of the transmission.
Old 02-02-2014
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
It is one piece. More of a pain to cut it

Haha, always nice to see the top of the trans! Weight reduction also!
Old 02-02-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolNat
It is one piece.
It will hold a LOT of dog food.
Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Just remove the resonator box completely, leave the stock air filter inside the breather box attached to the throttle body.

wouldn't your engine be sucking in all hot air then?

i cant see that being a good thing,

the reason why the intakes in cars are routed outside of the engine compartment is to get colder air, this would be defeating that purpose
Old 02-02-2014

And a short ram inlet goes where?

OP wants the sound, don't give a rats azz about performance.
Old 02-02-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

SRI takes a suction from where the OEM resonator box is, right behind the battery.

Like so:
Name:  IMG_0361.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  106.9 KB
Old 02-02-2014

That's certainly not a cold air area.
Old 02-02-2014
Prelude Owner

Cold air is down behind the radiator

Name:  IMG_6149_zps18d1eda5.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  151.6 KB
Old 02-02-2014

OMG that last pic made me think of

So where does it go after it disappears behind the radiator?

Remember, OP only wants the noise. I thought just removing the resonator box would make plenty of noise.
Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

And a short ram inlet goes where?
i never recommended that either
Old 02-02-2014

Originally Posted by mikey1
i never recommended that either
Yeah I know, but there are plenty of SRI's for sale with no second thoughts about cold air. People buy them.

And OP doesn't want a CAI anyway:
Originally Posted by skinner1790
ok so i would like my intake deeper but stock look the air resinator box is it needed can i gutt the inside. i dont want a cai but i want the deeper sound thought about maybe k&n drop in filter but idk i want some ideas please
Old 02-02-2014
Prelude Owner

Ahh, that is a disturbing pic!

It goes under the battery behind the bumper. Can't really get a good shot.

Name:  IMG_2451_zpsf58e0eca.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  92.5 KB
Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Yeah I know, but there are plenty of SRI's for sale with no second thoughts about cold air. People buy them.

And OP doesn't want a CAI anyway:
i realize that, but we shouldn't be advising somebody to modify their car in a way that could do harm or hurt performance,

i mean, if he wants a lot of noise then why don't we just tell him to remove the intake and air filter all together?....get my point?
Old 02-02-2014

Originally Posted by GolNat
Ahh, that is a disturbing pic!

It goes under the battery behind the bumper. Can't really get a good shot.
So it's not a short ram at all.

Originally Posted by mikey1
i realize that, but we shouldn't be advising somebody to modify their car in a way that could do harm or hurt performance,
Sell the customer what he wants! OP wants the noise.

Warm air doesn't HURT anything, but is not the best for performance in the traditional sense. It can be good for economy though.

i mean, if he wants a lot of noise then why don't we just tell him to remove the intake and air filter all together?....get my point?
I would not tell someone to run with no air filter.
I'm not an advocate of aftermarket filtration either.

I even told OP to leave the stock filter in the breather.
leave the stock air filter inside the breather box attached to the throttle body.
Old 02-02-2014
Prelude Owner

So it's not a short ram at all.
Correct. It's a CAI. It was to compare against RiceBoy. I like my air cold.