Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

what kind of power increase can i expect

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gjabraun is an unknown quantity at this point
what kind of power increase can i expect

I have a 04 civic si ep3, I plan on doing a 70mm ebay exhaust with a 70mm invidia header, and a skunk2 intake manifold, I already have the k&n typhoon setup, what kind of a power increase do you guy think i should get
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

Re: what kind of power increase can i expect

Originally Posted by gjabraun
I have a 04 civic si ep3, I plan on doing a 70mm ebay exhaust with a 70mm invidia header, and a skunk2 intake manifold, I already have the k&n typhoon setup, what kind of a power increase do you guy think i should get
I have decided to go with blackworks cat back exhaust
Old 04-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

10whp, if you're lucky.

You'd be better off doing a plethora of other things if your goal is to make power. A k20a/a2/z1 head would all offer significant gains.
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
10whp, if you're lucky.

You'd be better off doing a plethora of other things if your goal is to make power. A k20a/a2/z1 head would all offer significant gains.
Seriously? I would think the intake manifold would add atleast 20-30 when the vtec kicks in
Old 04-26-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

GIS for the obvious:

and

/Go ahead and hate on me.
//LOL
Old 04-27-2012
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Seriously? I would think the intake manifold would add atleast 20-30 when the vtec kicks in
You said nothing about an intake manifold. Personally, idk what kind of gains you would get from one. Hopefully someone else knows, I'm curious.

Just exhaust and header, which like he said would prolly give you about 10whp. After adding those, a professional dyno tune would probably get you another 15-30whp and an increase in fuel effiency -- belive it or not. That will cost $400-$700, depending on who does it.
Old 04-27-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Artificial
You said nothing about an intake manifold. Personally, idk what kind of gains you would get from one. Hopefully someone else knows, I'm curious.

Just exhaust and header, which like he said would prolly give you about 10whp. After adding those, a professional dyno tune would probably get you another 15-30whp and an increase in fuel effiency -- belive it or not. That will cost $400-$700, depending on who does it.
Actually a skunk2 intake manifold was in the original post, I am trying to make this car fast naturally aspirated, and if I ever do boost it I want to have built the engine by than.
Old 04-27-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Intake manifold alone without turbo? 10whp maybe? This is a crapshoot and everyone is guessing. If you want to know the answer do a dyno before install, install it, then do another dyno That way you know what you gained. You might not get anything.
Old 04-29-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

K engines are also very well designed to begin with.
I/E will not do much to them. heck, it's a 2 liter!
a higher displacement poorly designed with tons of restrictions engine will get easily more power with that mods, but it's a percentage game, not raw gains.
Old 04-30-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You can't forget man, the k20a3 is fundamentally different and indeed inferior from any other k-series engine. Although, a k20a2/k24a2 are capable of pretty significant gains with an im/intake/header/exhaust and AEM EMS or K-Pro with a corresponding tune (<-Critical), that's simply not what you have right now. I'm going to get even more harsh, brace yourself, I'm just giving honest advice; you're not using great parts. A really good header to get big gains is going to be $1000 or more; skunk2 produces decent IMs but nothing special and the stock throttle body is still a major choke point; the exhaust speaks for itself, the diameter is one thing, but the quality of the way it's run does make a difference; the stock ecu, well it can only adjust itself so much in correspondence to the increased airflow. Going N/A is expensive, but a k is a very special engine. With 4 cylinders you can hit about 282whp N/A on the average dyno without going totally crazy and spending tons of money, the good head is pretty much a necessity though and the exta .4L of displacement helps a lot if you have it. Are you registered on K20a.org? If not, do it and research, research, research. Best of luck with the project, please post a build thread and keep us posted.

BTW; I deleted the street racing/thread hijack, if the member who originated that digression does so again in this thread a ban will result.