Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

stripped exhaust manifold studs and nut

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
stripped exhaust manifold studs and nut

i wasnt sure which sub-forum this went in so ill just make it general...

my friend has a new dc exhaust header to put on his 01 ex and i figured since i put my megan header on i could do it in a couple minutes...BUT the nut is like completely rusted and the stud is stripped pretty bad i tried vice-grips and it just doesnt grab it no matter how tight i get them on it. So i took it to my dads friends shop and borrowed his torch heated it then grabbed it with vice grips...still not budging. Any ideas how to get it off?
Old 10-10-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: stripped exhaust manifold studs and nut

spray it with some PB blaster (you can find this at any home improvement store like homedepot or lowe's or walmart or autozone)

spray the crap out of it, let it sit.

if then take it out with the vicegrip..

if that doesnt work, grind down each side of the bolt (parallel) so the vice grip will have a parallel surface to grip on
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

tried pb blaster, thats what got mine off. will try grinding the bolt tomorrow
Old 10-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Hard thread to place, I'd say it fits best in basic performance since it's related to a header install though. Moved.

+1 on Sl33py's suggestion of grinding down one side of the bolt.
Old 10-10-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

+2 on the PB blaster. This may sound a little weird, but if you have some time to sprare and aren't in a hurry. Spray PB Blaster or apply candle wax on the threads after driving home for the night, then let the engine cool a bit (for an hour or so). Repeat this process M-F (or for 5 days). The lubricants should seep into the threads enough to allow easy removal of the most stubborn bolt or nut. Learned this trick from an old VW guy, when I worked on my Beetles. Did the same on my EM2, before I swapped in the header. Everything broke free without much force. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

drimeled the sides down still wont budge.
on another forum they suggested drilling a reverse thread into the end of the stud (or something like that) but not too sure what their talking about.
preferably id like to get it done today or tommorrow because somehow he convinced me to let him take my car to work today so i could work on his...and i HATE driving this thing...its an automatic lol
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

okay so im thinkin if i can drill a 1/8" hole into the stud...and use this
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...8&blockType=G8
i MIGHT be able to get it out...

any opinions before i order it?
Old 10-10-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I'd reverse drill / back out the stud, as a last resort. I've had to do it before (never on the exhaust port though). Works well, if you get it right. More headaches if you screw it up. Been there, done that for both. Header studs can be tricky because of the heat, galling, etc. If you're having issue with the nut, imagine how hard it would be to get the stud off. If you have to go that route, try dremeling a line across the top of the stud and use screw driver to back it out. It's free if you have a dremel, anyways. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

any suggestions how to actually get the drill in there to do it? the radiator is kinda in the way