Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

mugen twin loop

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01cvc will become famous soon enough
Re: mugen twin loop

i was just going to buy an khs but i dont want a big tip thats why i wanted a mugen replica i still might.
Old 05-21-2009
Registered!!

i was just gunna buy a hks muffler but i dont want that big tip thats why i wanted the mugen replica i still might get it
Old 05-22-2009
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

oh ok
Old 05-22-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the hks hi-power and it sounded great, but once i put on my headers it got a real raspy ricey sound to it. i had an off brand exhaust from a shop down the street from where i use to live, i think it was called "bombz exhaust" i dunno, anyways, it sounded ok but then i got rid of that and got the hks, as i just stated above, after the header install i got rid of it and got a megan racing...loved it! best sounding exhaust i had so far. if it weren't for getting rear ended and having the muffler get crushed i'd still use it. now i have another off brand from a shop down the road i think this one is called "wicked exhaust" it gets the job done but i'll be getting another megan racing exhaust soon
Old 05-24-2009
Registered!!

oh okk i see well i cant find the mugen twin loop nemore someone bought it already haha now i need to find one
Old 05-24-2009
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough

Whatever you do do NOT get an eBay OBX twin loop unless you want to buy a new one in 6-8 months when it sounds like a straight pipe. However it really sounds like your needs might be better suited for an off the shelf cat back/ header. A twin loop is really advantageous when you need a large exhaust that would otherwise be loud. Unless you're doing a big N/A build or a turbo setup that requires that, it's probably not worth the cost.

If you stick with the twin loop idea, I would go with Hytech over Mugen, but that's just me. From what I read when I was doing the research before I bought mine, the Hytech quality is better. I can't possibly imagine the Mugen is nicer then my Hytech...it's just got a Mugen emblem on it and that makes it "better".
Old 05-25-2009
Registered!!

o are u talking about the hytech twin loop muffler? i wasnt planning on buying an OBX any way

Last edited by 01cvc; 05-25-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2009
Registered!!

if you wanna get a twin loop system, i'd go with hytech, seems like everyone has nothing but good reviews on it
Old 05-25-2009
Registered!!

so the whole cat back or just the muffler? and would i have to buy anything else like a new header or anything if i get the hytech twin loop?

Last edited by 01cvc; 05-25-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2009
Registered!!

if hytech makes a cat-back for the lx then sure, get the whole exhaust, if not or if it's too expensive get just the muffler then take it to a local exhaust shop and tell them what size piping you want, typically 2.5in, and have them install it
Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fiend
if hytech makes a cat-back for the lx then sure, get the whole exhaust, if not or if it's too expensive get just the muffler then take it to a local exhaust shop and tell them what size piping you want, typically 2.5in, and have them install it
hytech is all custom. Its not like buying an exhaust of the shelf, you must call or make an appointment to see them and tell them exactly what you want done. You can choose whether to buy a fully custom catback or just the muffler itself telling them what size piping you want. The usual wait period is near 4 months for the exhaust to be completed due the delicate craftsmanship and a big line in front of you. I know this for a fact because I live near hytech and a few buddies of mine have had custom headers and twin loops done. $400 average for the twin loop and close to 800-1000 for a full catback set up. $2000+ for headers catback and muffler.

If youre really set on the twin loop, get ready to break your wallet

Last edited by mrtrinh; 05-26-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

oh damnn im set on the twin loop muffler and the 2.5 piping, but 4 month wait?. and if not an apexi ws2
Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mrtrinh
hytech is all custom. Its not like buying an exhaust of the shelf, you must call or make an appointment to see them and tell them exactly what you want done. You can choose whether to buy a fully custom catback or just the muffler itself telling them what size piping you want. The usual wait period is near 4 months. I know this for a fact because I live near hytech and a few buddies of mine have had custom headers and twin loops done. $400 average for the twin loop and close to 800-1000 for a full catback set up. $2000+ for headers catback and muffler.

If youre really set on the twin loop, get ready to break your wallet
well i just learned something new...didn't know hytech was like that, guess i just assummed they were just like any other company, oh well, now i know
Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough

Hytech has catback systems listed on their site for specific cars, but I don't think he stocks very much, if any. It takes a while for it to come because he makes it for you when you order it. He told me that sometimes he will have mufflers in stock when he can make extras over the winter, but this time of year he is pretty busy with custom stuff for race teams.

I think a Hytech header, cat, and cat back are actually something like $2500+, but people have seen gains on B-Series motors that justify that cost compared to other engine mods for the same price. I would not expect it to be anything revolutionary for the D17's, so I don't think a full system from Hytech would be worth the cost(if he even has a jig setup for them). That was why I suggested buying a header, high flow cat, Magnaflow Resonator, and just the Hytech muffler. Then have a muffler shop do the piping all custom and you should be able to keep it under $1200 without a problem.
Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

98mugenpower98 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey u probaly got ur answer already but I went with skunk2 catback and that exhaust is deep! lol and the hp gains r 1 of the highest besides apexi. yea a real twin loop is real expensive, I was goin 2 go with it but the sound and the hp gain wasnt there... I havnt read all the thread but hope it helped
Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

haha yeah thankss i think im going to go with the apexi ws2, i cant find one for my lx, so im just going to buy the universal??
Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Or you could get the ex exhaust (oem headers, cat etc) and then get the apexi ws2 for the ex.
Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

so you're just lookin for a can for the deep sound? I'm kinda lost... I'm not a know it all or anything like that, I'm just tryin to help. I just saw this si today with greddy exhaust oh man it was deep as hell! I wish I had the money to buy it. Hold on I have a buddy that has a few cat backs for sale for cheap, I'll find out how much and what models they are for.
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

yeah im not sure if im looking to get a catback spending around 400-500, im really not sure i saw an apexi for like 250. i dont want it to be loud tho quiet n deep. w.e is good for me i just dont want to spend around 400
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the scoop...THE BEST twin loop exhaust for our cars has and always will be the DC Sports TCS (Catback). It is mandrel bent, full stainless steel, and the welds are fuggin' heavy duty.

I owned one way back in the day when they first came out. They have a nice mild tone at low rpms, and gradually gets a little deeper at higher rpms....sounds even better with a header.

I'd definitely recommend it over the POS twin loop mufflers that you see on the market. They are super rare, so good luck finding them!
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

i tinhk i found the twin ur talking about, its like 500-700 tho lol. is there any other mufflers or axelbacks that are not too loud, deep and smooth? borla?

Last edited by 01cvc; 05-29-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

hey what motor do you have and such, I'm lookin through my buddys exhaust and he has a few mufflers layin around...
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

1.7 liters, 4 in-line front engine with 75 mm bore, 94.4 mm stroke, 9.5 compression ratio, overhead cam and four valves per cylinder
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

lol thats not really what I meant lol. so its a 2001 lx d17? I'm just tryin to find out if the exhaust my friend has will fit.
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

idk if my civic is a D17 or not, how would i figure that out?
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

lol I'm not a smart honda guy at all but if its a single overhead cam its a d series and 17= 1.7 liter, I think thats what it means right? or are u just messin with me? I have a d16y8, I have no clue what y8 even means lol so if some one can help me out that would be great. I am no honda expert what so ever
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PaCiFiKbAllA
Here is the scoop...THE BEST twin loop exhaust for our cars has and always will be the DC Sports TCS (Catback). It is mandrel bent, full stainless steel, and the welds are fuggin' heavy duty.

I owned one way back in the day when they first came out. They have a nice mild tone at low rpms, and gradually gets a little deeper at higher rpms....sounds even better with a header.

I'd definitely recommend it over the POS twin loop mufflers that you see on the market. They are super rare, so good luck finding them!
I've never seen one of them, but it looks interesting. However, it is definitely not "THE BEST" Again take a look at the Hytech pictures I posted : P. Better than OBX and SNL probably. Those "POS" mufflers actually sound quite good at first...it's just the material they're packed with doesn't last very long before it burns out and it sounds like you have no muffler at all. Not worth it.

To the OP, sound like you're on the right track with a more basic catback. Consider picking one up used so you can get a full system. Heck, a few years ago I got a Magnaflow catback for my civic for $350 on eBay...even came with the pipe for the LX's. Just checked and they're running $430 shipped right now, so that's right in your price range for a full system with stainless + mandrel bends. Sounds great and is very good quality. If you get that WS2 'universal' it's just going to be the muffler (no piping or resonator), so you're not gaining anything but sound. A full catback would at least free it up a little (although the difference is small for D17's).

And for the person asking...A D16Y8 means it's a D-series, 1.6 liter and the Y8 part is just a more specific designation because there are multiple 1.6L D-series motors. It doesn't really mean anything specifically.
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

thanx for the info... I thought the last two codes like y8, z6 meant it was vtec or not?
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

No problem, and you're correct that the D16Z6(92-95 Civic EX) and the D16Y8(96-00 Civic EX) are VTEC motors, but the letters themselves are just arbitrary references to that, they don't stand for anything.

Anyways, back on track with the thread...
Old 05-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 01cvc
idk if my civic is a D17 or not, how would i figure that out?
it's a d17a1 if im not mistaken and d17a2 is vtec, i think that's right, im a little buzzed right now

Quick Reply: mugen twin loop