Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Finally Installed w/pics!: Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trusted
Re: Arrived: Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake *pics

I don't think the little instruction page it came with said it oil it and I read online somewhere else it filters fine without oil, but if you do add it it's just extra protection.

And I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but where do I put that big plastic tube it came with, the ram air kit?
Old 03-16-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

supposed to go on the end of the filter and then the other side goes to someplace where cold air can flow inside. the filter foam has 300 pores/inch, so already it will filter over 3x better than a K&N, but you need the sticky oil to really stop the fine dust particles. youll be amazed how much crap it filters, and how clean the inside of the pipe stays. im gonna start cleaning it every 6 months now cause it just traps so much dirt. when i was using K&N filter (stupid i know), my vtec solenoid screen got clogged with sand and my TB and iac valves had so much carbon it was affecting idle and performance. after a year of using WR filter, i opened up the iac to clean it again, and there was zero buildup, and by that i mean it looked like i just cleaned it already lol. and the intake pipe had no dust inside at all. totally clean. the K&N pipe had a very fine layer of dust that you could see if you wiped your finger across. very bad filters, should be taken off the market like AEM wised up and threw all their cotton gauze stock away. now they only sell dryflow paper cones.
Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

inthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trusted

would it do anything? I mean you're basically mixing warm/hot air with cool air. Would you really notice a difference?
Old 03-16-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
too bad you dont live nearby or you couldve just come over and used mine
Actually I like road trips. lol. If I wasn't busy I would just take a cruise out there with the wife, make a weekend out of it, get a hotel room. Good way to get out of town for the weekend. I don't know what part of IL you are in, but we've shot across Iowa a few times to the Quad Cities area for concerts. If you're in the Chicago area, even better, we like to visit there too!

Originally Posted by karlozc2003
Nice one, thanks!!

Originally Posted by inthezoneac
would it do anything? I mean you're basically mixing warm/hot air with cool air. Would you really notice a difference?
Nope. . lol. As we've mentioned before it's not doing a whole heck of a lot. A SRI really is designed to minimize the restriction of the stock air box. The air probably isn't much cooler. but you're getting a little more of it.

I think it's 4 or so HP that you are gaining, more like 2.5 or so at the wheels, so don't expect much. The real deal is the sound I think, it just sounds cooler than the stock intake and gains you a little wee dab of power in the process.

I'm expecting no more of a gain than the response you get from your car on a nice cool day, with the AC off, half a tank of gas and a fresh tune up. Anything more, would be all bonus for me.
Old 03-21-2008

pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: Treatment Oil Arrived: Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake *pics

Hey guys, the "cleaning kit" showed up. Most importantly the treatment oil.

Gear, this oil isn't in a spray bottle. It says to use a cloth to apply. When you apply it do you apply over the wire mesh on the filter, or do you somehow remove the foam from and only treat that?

Old 03-21-2008
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough
Re: Treatment Oil Arrived: Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake *pics

For me I was not to sure if you can remove the foam filter from the mesh so I just applied it over I guess its the samething. But gearbox would know better.
Old 03-21-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

haha wow that is weird when i read you have to wipe it on. mine is a spray. but thats okay, just take a rag and carefully dab it on til you get full coverage. you just do it over the mesh cause its all the same piece. dont forget to oil inside too. remove the four screws to take the top wood piece off. then wait about an hour for the oil to sink in and become part of the foam.
Old 03-21-2008

Originally Posted by gearbox
haha wow that is weird when i read you have to wipe it on. mine is a spray. but thats okay, just take a rag and carefully dab it on til you get full coverage. you just do it over the mesh cause its all the same piece. dont forget to oil inside too. remove the four screws to take the top wood piece off. then wait about an hour for the oil to sink in and become part of the foam.
That's the other thing gear. It says apply to the outside only. ..

And not to over apply. It's a 20+ use bottle. hehe
Old 03-21-2008

Ok, it's all oiled. What a PITA. LOL. I have to get the spray stuff. I used too much, haha.

I didn't think it was coating correctly so I ended up tipping the bottle and putting a little tiny drops worth on each little peice of foam between the mesh and taking a paper towel to wipe off the excess.

Then I took more paper towels and lightly went over the foam again picking up even more excess.

It's soaking now. I'll give it another wipe in about 15 minutes just to make sure I didn't over oil it too bad.

I gotta find that spray!!
Old 03-22-2008

My final update for the evening. I used yet another paper towel to lightly wipe off any excess. Not too much came off this time.

Yet, when I touch it with my pinky, it comes out shiny.

The inside is still dry. I think that is supposed to be the goal.

I'll be doing the install tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Wish me luck!
Old 03-22-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

im so excited for you joe. hurry up and post pics.
Old 03-22-2008

haha. When I saw that skipbarber was the last poster on the thread I thought to myself. He's going to tell me to boost it again..

LoL. what a nice surprise!
Old 03-22-2008
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

in for pics, this intake is supposed to be the best of its kind i hear..
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough

Post up some pics! ;]
Old 03-22-2008

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

i hate to disappoint. boost it.
Old 03-22-2008
Premium Member

nono both sides must be oiled, just like any standard foam filter. technically you are supposed to spray both sides and massage the oil into the whole foam, but obviously you cant do that with the mesh in the way, so you just apply to both sides and hope it coats most of the foam. i dont think i put enough on mine cause it looks dry now, or maybe just really dirty lol. you can never have too much and i think you did it right by getting off the excess. youll see once it gets used a few weeks, it will not even look like its oiled.
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

Clean your engine bay with simple green...simple enough
Old 03-23-2008

Holy crappin' gondola trees. I was spending time doing my little tune up in the process of installing the intake. Talk about a not so good time.

Everything was going wrong. I dropped a ignition coil into the unknown bowels of my car, finally found it. Took about 45 minutes.

Broke the tip on one of the new plugs (got a little carried away with the gapping). So I'm running 3 new and 1 old.

Jacked with the intake for like an hour, lol. Finally got it on. I can't believe they didn't give us a clamp for the 2.5" side of the throttle body adapter. Might have to pic an extra up.

Getting the bracket mounted was the 2nd pain. You're right gear that thing is flimsy. I got it to hold though.

The PCV valve? I have no idea. I tried to get it out. No luck. I'm going to have to mess with that later.

Oh and the AIT??? Sensor, yeah too short and still doesn't fit in there like it's supposed to. I'm going to have to do the fix to snug it up and the fix to make the wires longer.

I have a bulging heater hose too BTW. I'll have to wrestle with that soon.

Fun fun.

My camera is still in the garage, I'm going to get it now and I'll get pictures up tonight.

It's in, it works, I guess that's the good thing..

The sound is pretty much stock unless you do a WOT then it roars.

The power?? Seems like I lost some torque, but it seems to pull more evenly.
Old 03-23-2008

pcv valve is more easily accessible from underneath IMO, 14mm wrench i think. sorry to hear about your troubles. and good luck with those heater hoses, i had to replace one not long ago and it sucked. and there isnt much you can do since the inlets to the heater core are plastic...
Old 03-23-2008

Post Re: Treatment Oil Arrived: Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake *pics

Here are the pictures guys! Enjoy. There is still some work that I need to do to get this thing where it needs to be. I still have to extend those wires and fix the way it fits in there. Then I'll see if I can do the ECU relearn, but it doesn't do much good until then, because the car doesn't have any idea what is going on anyways. Plus without a clamp right on the throttle body I'm probably loosing a little air.

First up is the overall install. Looks decent enough.

Here is where I connected their included bracket.

Here is where it sits on the throttle body. I need another clamp here I think. Oh and the dumb sensor that is too short and doesn't go in correctly.

And the jacked up hose that doesn't fit right with the OEM clamp that has to be replaced. I might get a different hose that has an adapter or something to make it fit better. BTW doesn't that hose go to the PCV valve? Or is that something else?

Old 03-23-2008

Re: Finally Installed w/pics!: Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake.

Oh and an update on how I feel about this intake so far.

I love the sound. I like how it sounds so nice and quiet, but soon as you go WOT it roars.

Now, that being said, I'm not sure if it's cause I have everything kinda ghetto rigged at the moment and I haven't did the ECU relearn thing, and I haven't really given the car a chance to learn by itself without the heater on, or just idleing, or what, but the car really seems a little more sluggish.

Keep in mind, I've been driving this car stock since I got it in July of 2001. So I'm not used to this at all.

To me when I have the throttle wide open and it's roaring away, I can't hear the engine like I used to. So it gives me the impression that I'm at 6000RPM when I'm really at 4000RPM so it could be just me thinking that the car is slower because I can't hear it.

Or my clutch is slipping. . j/k

In summary. It's either slower, or the fact that it sounds fast makes me further realize how slow it actually is. . LOL.

All I know is my brother in law with a early 80's 4 cylinder Mustang loves it. . And, I quote, "wishes his car had this much power". LOL. I love this kid.

Last edited by pheaton; 03-23-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2008

that hose is the fresh air inlet for the pcv. the pcv valve is located behind the block and has a vacuum line that goes straight into the intake manifold underneath the throttle body. if you do a relearn, the sluggishness should get better.
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pheaton
Now, that being said, I'm not sure if it's cause I have everything kinda ghetto rigged at the moment and I haven't did the ECU relearn thing, and I haven't really given the car a chance to learn by itself without the heater on, or just idleing, or what, but the car really seems a little more sluggish.
what is this said ECU relearn thing, and how does one go about doing it?
i'll be ordering the aem v2 soon and wondering if i'll have to do this?
Old 03-24-2008
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pheaton
the fact that it sounds fast makes me further realize how slow it actually is. . LOL.
ding ding ding! winnAR!!
Old 03-24-2008

Originally Posted by dryft
what is this said ECU relearn thing, and how does one go about doing it?
i'll be ordering the aem v2 soon and wondering if i'll have to do this?
I believe you shut all the accessories like your heater off. Start the car rev to around 2500 to 3000 rpm until the fan kicks on, then let it idle normally for about 10 minutes.

Now, whether you're supposed to start the car cold, or start it after it's been running at normal temperature for awhile, I have no idea. Anyone?
Old 03-24-2008

So this is like day 3 with this and I'm starting to get used to it. I tried to do the relearn thing, but I'm not sure that I did it right.

It seems like 2nd gear is still sluggish. I still have to finish getting everything clamped down and get that air temp sensor extended and fitting in there correctly..

Then I'll try again to do the relearn.

I will say that while on the highway it seemed to gain speed better in 3rd and 4th gear. So it might help a little. Again only above 4000RPM really.
Old 03-24-2008

ok, now boost it.
Old 05-27-2008

2 months now. Things are much better. The computer must have figured it all out, I fixed the hose that runs from the intake to PCV valve, so that might have helped a bit. It was a bit pinched as you can see by the pictures.

I'll put new pictures up soon, I just went to Autozone and the guy let me look at his wall of preformed hoses and I found one that looked "s" shaped, and it worked great.

Anyways, I still love the sound of this intake. It's nice to not have to listen to it all the time, I can make the sound happen by punching the gas, or I can drive normally and it sounds stock.

The gains are minimal, but at least it doesn't feel like I lost power, like it did once I first put it on.

It sounds nice, and the car may have a bit more responsiveness.

This is the most I ever expected out of any intake for our cars, so A+ by me.
Old 05-27-2008
Registered!!

popee will become famous soon enough

do you think .. if you intsall a strut bar it will clear the intake??
Old 05-27-2008
Premium Member

neuspeed bar works

Quick Reply: Finally Installed w/pics!: Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake.