Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Those w/ B&M SS installed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCaly2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Those w/ B&M SS installed...

How much shorter is this than stock? I've been searching all over the place and haven't been able to find this.
Old 05-25-2006
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's before and after positions for each gear. Feels like more than it looks:
Old 05-25-2006
Registered!!

So the actual shifters height doesn't change, the b&m just changes shift throw? Thats how it looks in those photos. With the b&m theres the two holes, high and low which determines how much the throw changes, which are you using?, cause looking at those pictures, it doesn't look like it changed at all
Old 05-25-2006
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
The height is the same - maybe 1/8th lower if I recall, but with the arm rest, I wouldn't want it any lower.

That's set at maximum reduction in throw. It doesn't look like much, but it makes a huge difference. I don't think it could be any less and still give you enough tactile feedback as to which gear you were in. Shifting is now just a movement of the fingers, maybe a little writs, no arm motion at all. More of a flick than a push and pull - if that makes any sense.

If you look closely at the pictures, there is a significance reduction relative to the dimensions of the shifter but I agree that it isn't very dramatic visually. The difference in driving comfort and precision is huge. The overall feel of shifting is fantastic - no play or sloppiness and the B&M part is massive compared to stock. several people said that installing a short shifter was great but that in a day you get used to it and want it shorter still. I haven't found that to be the case at all. I wanted reduced throw and more precision and after a month or so it still feels perfect.

I was torn between the B&M and the Revo with the enhancement kits to beef it up. The B&M comes with new aluminum bushings and replaces a few of the stock plastic parts with aluminum as well. It uses the stock housing which is sturdier than the Revo and has a much heavier shaft. Since I wasn't interested in reducing the height it just seemed like a better choice. Haven't regretted it at all.
Old 05-25-2006
Registered!!

extremely helpful, thank you very much, i purchased the b&m already, but am getting aftermarket shift boot so i wanted to be sure of everything