Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

HP Race Header and High Flow Cat = CRAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick Cycle is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Danger Mouse
you act like i took my car to your neighbors shade tree service or something..
like i said.. the shop i take my car to is one of the most respected RX-7 shops around.. and yes he use the proper tool to but it on with and to try and take it of with.. we ended up using a air ratchet to take it out with.. after about 40 mins of trying different methods.. and yes the threads from the sensor had become part of the header.. i was there when he re-threaded the thing.. once agian... Crap Product
it's possible that he cross-threaded the o2 sensor when he first installed it as well. it's not hard to do.

I don't care what kind of shop you took it to. it's a respected rx7 shop, not a honda shop. they probably build motors and install new turbo kits ... not dilly dally with a nearly stock n/a sohc who wants to get a little header on.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ManUtd0018
i have 215.40.17 tires. I don't go to goodyear and say i need that size and expect to have to modify a tire that is supposed to fit by shaving it considering everything else is similar to stock.

customer service is key, especially when its your product. i find it strange that hp cannot give tech advice on their own product. It's probably because they know that each header is not uniformally made. its a crap shoot.
what the hell? you're comparing apples to oranges.

the guy didn't have to shave his HEADER, he had to shave stock parts on his car. Why the hell would goodyear have you shave their TIRE to make it fit? ... you would have to shave your fenders to make a bigger tire fit.

if you're gonna use a metaphor, use it correctly.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by nick95673
ok. thats what i was trying to figure out. What i have learned is dont buy a header and blow 588 bucks that could be better spent in a turbo fund/coilover fund.

well said
Old 11-23-2005
Tejas PimP
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Danger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sick Cycle
I don't think you should blame the company. You paid $375 for some shady techie to install your header when you could've easily DIY'ed and asked questions on this site for help.
actually.... after watching them.. there was no way i could DIY'd this item on my own, w/o a lift and a means to shift the engine safely with... not to mention a saw to cut the sub-frame with.. Which mind you is anther one of my complaints about the product.. you should not have to cut the frame to make a header fit.. especially if there is room between the header and engine block.. HP could have done better and could have given me some damn tech support over the phone instead of trying to brush me off and call someone else for support on their own product!
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

actually.... after watching them.. there was no way i could DIY'd this item on my own, w/o a lift and a means to shift the engine safely with... not to mention a saw to cut the sub-frame with.. Which mind you is anther one of my complaints about the product.. you should not have to cut the frame to make a header fit.. especially if there is room between the header and engine block.. HP could have done better and could have given me some damn tech support over the phone instead of trying to brush me off and call someone else for support on their own product!
and with that I say ... you should've done your research before buying the product ... and read the DIY's. It's been DIY'ed before, so you shouldn't say that it's not possible for you to DIY it.

people usually don't buy a car without doing some research hm? ... this goes for everything you will ever purchase in life. Cars, houses, tables, furniture, cd players, stereos, tv's, cell phones, etc. research my friend.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

ManUtd0018 is an unknown quantity at this point
do you wanna cry now?

you sound like you're 16 and are blind to the fact that things don't always work out the way you want it.

ALL ceramic headers are suseptible to cracking. don't think that HP headers are the only ceramic headers that crack. There is a reason why good JDM headers are never ceramic (except for dc ... but dc sucks anyway).

plus, HP doesn't make any ceramic race headers ... only shorty 4-1 ex headers.

this is the FIRST account of a poor header installation that I have heard of with the HP race header. I have never heard of any other problems like this ... like I said earlier, I think the installer is at fault.

I don't think you should blame the company. You paid $375 for some shady techie to install your header when you could've easily DIY'ed and asked questions on this site for help.

Do i want to cry now? Um, no. But i would like to be able express my opinions without being critcised for it. Furthermore, try searching around for others that have had fitment issues. The search button is at the top of this page in case you're wondering.
And, why are you defending HP so adamantly. Sounds as if you actually work for them. I wouldn't be surprised really.
How would the installer be at fault if the product hits against the FRAME of the car? The installer didn't install the frame, did he?

Things should work out the way i plan them when i pay someone to do it. Money doesn't come easily, and i have high expectations about products and parts that i buy. That's part of preplanning and being an adult, son.

Don't get too defensive when i make comments about a company that produces sub-par equipment. Why do you care anyway?

HP hasn't been all bad. I like their header. I don't like the incorrect instructions that were put into my package, the extra o2 sensor, or the poor customer service. Dell doesn't tell me to call a local shop to fix my computer when it goes whack, so why does HP?

And, HP did make ceramic headers. They have since stopped.
Old 11-23-2005
Tejas PimP

Danger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really nice
and with that I say ... you should've done your research before buying the product ... and read the DIY's. It's been DIY'ed before, so you shouldn't say that it's not possible for you to DIY it.

people usually don't buy a car without doing some research hm? ... this goes for everything you will ever purchase in life. Cars, houses, tables, furniture, cd players, stereos, tv's, cell phones, etc. research my friend.
and like I said before... those who have DIY'd this themselves are God's in my book.. BECAUSE there is no way "I" would have been able to do it myself! I don't feel that this item is a DIY, because of the sheer amount of effort that went into it... and beyond that fact.. besides what your grandmothers fathers sisters brothers little cousin told you about installing it and trouble shooting it.. until you have done it yourself and can show pitcures of it being done.. you really have no clue to what it took to get the thing into my car.. and I did research it.. just like i do everything else before i buy or install something..
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

well said
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

do you have this header too or are you just running your mouth? have you tried to install it without a lift?
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

Do i want to cry now? Um, no. But i would like to be able express my opinions without being critcised for it. Furthermore, try searching around for others that have had fitment issues. The search button is at the top of this page in case you're wondering.
And, why are you defending HP so adamantly. Sounds as if you actually work for them. I wouldn't be surprised really.
How would the installer be at fault if the product hits against the FRAME of the car? The installer didn't install the frame, did he?

Things should work out the way i plan them when i pay someone to do it. Money doesn't come easily, and i have high expectations about products and parts that i buy. That's part of preplanning and being an adult, son.

Don't get too defensive when i make comments about a company that produces sub-par equipment. Why do you care anyway?

HP hasn't been all bad. I like their header. I don't like the incorrect instructions that were put into my package, the extra o2 sensor, or the poor customer service. Dell doesn't tell me to call a local shop to fix my computer when it goes whack, so why does HP?

And, HP did make ceramic headers. They have since stopped.
I know what kind of fitment issues HP has with their race header. I've been on this site since Nov 02 ... just under a different name ....

No, the installer didn't install the frame. But if anyone checked out the DIY prior to installation, you will know what needed to be done to get it working properly. This should have been including in your "pre-planning" ... son.

Like I said earlier, my intentions are not to defend HP. I just don't believe that this ONE case of a poor installation should sway others in not buying the header. It's a great header ... pm DJMota or Hondaluver ... those are two people I know that have successfully installed the header on their car. auto/manual tranny differences are not to blame either, in case anyone was wondering.

Again, I would personally take the dc race header over the hp ... but that is my opinion.

HP is sub-par? because one member wasn't satisfied, all the sudden their products are sub par? how about obx? since the quality looks to be okay and the fitment works alright with their dx/lx headers, they must be awesome, correct?

how about all the members of clubrsx with their dc race headers cracking? ... how about the people on this site with their dc tcs exhaust welds breaking on their stainless exhaust? How about Toda's flex pipes that crack on the rsx type s's ... I guess Toda is sub par too because it has happened to ONE person.

you are too quick to judge HP.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

do you have this header too or are you just running your mouth? have you tried to install it without a lift?
No I haven't tried it. I don't have a d17. but I trust the DIY's of others and other members on this site.

you guys really don't listen when I name off other members who already have this header, do you?
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

and like I said before... those who have DIY'd this themselves are God's in my book.. BECAUSE there is no way "I" would have been able to do it myself! I don't feel that this item is a DIY, because of the sheer amount of effort that went into it... and beyond that fact.. besides what your grandmothers fathers sisters brothers little cousin told you about installing it and trouble shooting it.. until you have done it yourself and can show pitcures of it being done.. you really have no clue to what it took to get the thing into my car.. and I did research it.. just like i do everything else before i buy or install something..
hey, I'm there with you.

There's no way I could DIY by myself either. I am not a mechanic and I would rather pay someone to do it. However, regardless of any mechanic, $375 is just too much. I'd rather get a few friends that know what they're doing, buy them both a 6 pack of smirnoff and start on a project.

because you did research it, did you think it would be easy to install it knowing there would be fitment issues? why did you even bother with it?
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

eyegiant is an unknown quantity at this point
After Hearing About This, I Am Taking Second Thought About But Them. Oh, By The Way Isn't There Two Types Of Hp Headers? Just Header And Headers With Downpipe.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

I know what kind of fitment issues HP has with their race header. I've been on this site since Nov 02 ... just under a different name ....

No, the installer didn't install the frame. But if anyone checked out the DIY prior to installation, you will know what needed to be done to get it working properly. This should have been including in your "pre-planning" ... son.

Like I said earlier, my intentions are not to defend HP. I just don't believe that this ONE case of a poor installation should sway others in not buying the header. It's a great header ... pm DJMota or Hondaluver ... those are two people I know that have successfully installed the header on their car. auto/manual tranny differences are not to blame either, in case anyone was wondering.

Again, I would personally take the dc race header over the hp ... but that is my opinion.

HP is sub-par? because one member wasn't satisfied, all the sudden their products are sub par? how about obx? since the quality looks to be okay and the fitment works alright with their dx/lx headers, they must be awesome, correct?

how about all the members of clubrsx with their dc race headers cracking? ... how about the people on this site with their dc tcs exhaust welds breaking on their stainless exhaust? How about Toda's flex pipes that crack on the rsx type s's ... I guess Toda is sub par too because it has happened to ONE person.

Well, actually it would be two people that aren't totally happy wouldn't it? And i have had personal experience with this product. Its a lot different being smart by reading books and posts and another thing by doing things trial and error. I'm not saying either is correct, but i have more emotional experiences with this header; frustration really.

And, when i purchased the hp header the dc race header wasn't available yet. maybe i would have gotten that one.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

I judge people and companies on their actions. If their customer service was better maybe i'd have a different view. Now, with that in mind, let it be known that i am not saying to anyone that they shouldn't buy HP. I like them, i do. I just don't like the problems they caused that could have been easily avoided by sending the right instructions and/or helping more with tech issues.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

Well, actually it would be two people that aren't totally happy wouldn't it? And i have had personal experience with this product. Its a lot different being smart by reading books and posts and another thing by doing things trial and error. I'm not saying either is correct, but i have more emotional experiences with this header; frustration really.

And, when i purchased the hp header the dc race header wasn't available yet. maybe i would have gotten that one.
I bet.

I wouldn't imagine that this is an "easy" header to install. I've already read the DIY's (even though I've never had this and never intended to get it) ... information about products that relate to my car interest me ... I read a lot and search a lot.

But yes, unless you are prepared to going through a lot to install one of the best headers out there for the d17, I don't recommend buying it ... instead buy a dc race header haha. I'm just curious to see how it performs, that's all.

I judge people and companies on their actions. If their customer service was better maybe i'd have a different view. Now, with that in mind, let it be known that i am not saying to anyone that they shouldn't buy HP. I like them, i do. I just don't like the problems they caused that could have been easily avoided by sending the right instructions and/or helping more with tech issues.
yep ... some companies just don't have any technical support. They made a product and expect you to know how to use it. But there are a lot of companies out there like that ... especially the smaller custom ones.

If you bought a bisimoto header, I doubt Mr. Bisi would help you with anything

Last edited by Sick Cycle; 11-23-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
what if he got a defective header or somthing? anyone can install a header/any brand....i don't care who you are....if you use this site and diy and have problems chances are somthing might be wrong or off.....if you bring it to a respected shop that charges you an arm and a leg cuz they're trying to get to bigger fish(rx7's) i'd imagine they can put a header on a stock civic...jmo but obviously w/what he's saying somthing is wrong here and maybe it's not his or the shops fault? right, exactly!
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

^ the thought crossed my mind ... but that usually isn't the case... especially for companies who mass produce (vs. hand-build) their products
Old 11-23-2005
Tejas PimP

^ the thought crossed my mind ... but that usually isn't the case... especially for companies who mass produce (vs. hand-build) their products
like i said before.. a shop does not garner the level of respect that this shop and its owner does by doing shitty work... it was quality work and its not the first time i have gone to them.. as a matter of fact i know atleast 4 people personally that go to this shop on a regular basis either to get work done or just to see what they have comming out next.. quality over quantity.. and i wonder if HP even actually makes the header that they sell...no stamp on the product.. just a weld on tag
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

like i said before.. a shop does not garner the level of respect that this shop and its owner does by doing shitty work... it was quality work and its not the first time i have gone to them.. as a matter of fact i know atleast 4 people personally that go to this shop on a regular basis either to get work done or just to see what they have comming out next.. quality over quantity.. and i wonder if HP even actually makes the header that they sell...no stamp on the product.. just a weld on tag
well, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I don't see how it is possible to melt o2 sensor threads on your nearly stock n/a sohc. If there were melted, how did you get them out? ... they would be stuck there forever. More than likely, they were cross-threaded or just seized.

you can't possibly think that because a company doesn't stamp their name into their product that they are a knockoff.

all DC sports headers have a weld on tags. Kamikaze and OBX have weld on tags. Toda race headers have weldon tags. Hell, SPOON heads have weldon tags.
Old 11-23-2005
Tejas PimP

you can't possibly think that because a company doesn't stamp their name into their product that they are a knockoff.

all DC sports headers have a weld on tags. Kamikaze and OBX have weld on tags. Toda race headers have weldon tags. Hell, SPOON heads have weldon tags.
maybe... maybe not.. does not take a scientist to weld a custom made tag onto something.. nice article in this months Modified Mag about knock-offs and having brandnames on them on Ebay... its possible, not saying it happened.. still pissed about the fabulous customer service i got from HP. ****.. my ex-girlfriend who hates me to hell and back gave me better customer service last time i talked to her.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

maybe... maybe not.. does not take a scientist to weld a custom made tag onto something.. nice article in this months Modified Mag about knock-offs and having brandnames on them on Ebay... its possible, not saying it happened.. still pissed about the fabulous customer service i got from HP. ****.. my ex-girlfriend who hates me to hell and back gave me better customer service last time i talked to her.
I bet you love the kind of customer service she gave
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

yep ... some companies just don't have any technical support. They made a product and expect you to know how to use it. But there are a lot of companies out there like that ... especially the smaller custom ones.

If you bought a bisimoto header, I doubt Mr. Bisi would help you with anything
Fair enough, not all companies have great tech support; however, installation is made a lot easier when the right instructions are included. They sent me IS 300 instructions...who does that? come on, HP.

And that DYI wasn't on here when i put mine on.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice
hahahahahahahhaa...this is ****ing funny how one guy says HP header is **** all these other people have second thoughts on gettin just becuase of one guy!..lol...you dont have to cut the subframe just trim that **** with a dremel and I just don't see how it can melt away the threads on the o2 sensor, maybe it was stripped?...hahaha I've taken mine out 10+ times when I had my civic and never had a single problem with it..
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

HeHateMe is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm running a 75 shot through my HP header set-up..haven't melted the o2 sensor threads yet part of the header turned purple though
Old 11-23-2005
Tejas PimP

Originally Posted by HeHateMe
part of the header turned purple though
Sw33t!
Old 11-23-2005
Tejas PimP

Originally Posted by 2k1civic01
one guy says HP header is ****
Well it is.. **** product, **** customer support.. should have gone with DC Sports, like I had thought about doing to begin with.. someone suggested HP to me... so

Originally Posted by 2k1civic01
I just don't see how it can melt away the threads on the o2 sensor, maybe it was stripped
well i doubt that it was stripped... when we finally did get the blasted thing off.. the threads where still stuck inside the header and they had become one piece.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

Well it is.. **** product, **** customer support.. should have gone with DC Sports, like I had thought about doing to begin with.. someone suggested HP to me... so

well i doubt that it was stripped... when we finally did get the blasted thing off.. the threads where still stuck inside the header and they had become one piece.
sounds like seized threads ... not melted. if they melted, you wouldn't be able to get them out. I could be wrong though...
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice
If I had the choice to choose from DC > HP I would choose HP> DC cause DC is ****...well DC header for em2s are ****...lol I have a dc race header on my rsx and it's not ****..hahaha...what shop put it on for you?...should've let me put it on for you, I sometimes stay in Euless wit my girll...lol

Last edited by 2k1civic01; 11-23-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

^ hey how are you liking your rsx-s?

is the powergetter good? ... I heard the piping was kinda small on it...?

Quick Reply: HP Race Header and High Flow Cat = CRAP!