Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Headers: to buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic707Style is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Headers: to buy or not to buy?

Hey everyone! I have an 01 EX auto and I was wondering if the 4-2-1 headers that connect to the stock downpipe are worth buying. I don't wanna get the one piece race headers because I'm afraid of ground clearence and it will be harder to pass smog...so I'm thinking of the 4-2-1's might be easier to get away with. So yeah, I've heard a lot of conflicting things about headers so could someone help me out here. P.S. I'm thinking of getting the OBX one's cuz the DC's seem like a rip off.

- Thanks
Civic707Style
Old 12-24-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Not worth it.

And with Race header, you will not pass smog test.
Old 12-24-2004
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
it depends.
first, its header and second, they dont make 4-2-1 header for our civics. only 4-1 is out unless you want to custom make one which is definately not worth it.

but im assuming your talking about the top portion header aka "shorty header" which just replaces the header and not downpipe. the thing about dc sport 4-1 header is that its carb legal? while others arent. you live in the bay area which is california and i know CALI is real strict on smog emissions but i think you'll fail the visual test with any header (not sure, but most likely). so either way, any aftermarket header would have a hard time passing emissions/smog.

as for the top line header, i would suggest hp racing, kamakzie*, topspeed, and dc. to make a long story short, hp racing makes a great header for the ex, kamakazie is a great choice for lx/dx ppl while dc sports has smaller pipes similar to stock diameter, but i think that may help your low end. dc = carb legal i believe

if you think spending $100-$250 for a header is worth 1-2 hp, go for it. to me, its not much but if you into modding, it does something at least.
Old 12-24-2004

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Civic707Style
I've heard a lot of conflicting things about headers so could someone help me out here

I agree with D17Gen. Sadly, not much is gained on our vics with this add on. I got a Kamikaze on my 04 LX and I did feel some gains back when I installed it (probably not even 2 HP), but you'll definately love the awesome sound .
Also, keep in mind that installing a header will activate your check engine light. There's ways around this problem like getting an "O2 simulator" so that you won't be bothered by the annoying light on your dash board.

Last edited by cubanmike26; 12-24-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2004
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
^ thats only if u have an LX cause ur catalytic converter is removed.
Old 12-25-2004
Still in the game...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
Old 12-25-2004
Registered!!

exclusive_vtec will become famous soon enough
^^^ rofl at that pic
Old 12-25-2004
Premium Member

solacivic will become famous soon enoughsolacivic will become famous soon enough
i have a dc header, megan hi flow cat and a skunk2 cat back. I defintely noticed a difference. Best thing to do is buy the header of ebay if you can find a used one thats what i did.
Old 12-25-2004
Registered!!

wrussi is an unknown quantity at this point
if u have a catback probably it will give some hp gains i loved the sound of my dc headers which im about to sell on ebay for 80
Old 12-25-2004
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
I don't think its worth it considering the lack of power gain. I'm not sure how the engine will sound ofter though.
Old 12-25-2004

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
useless, even with catback.
i had kamikaze header with tanabe racing medallion and i was never able to go fast enough for the sound they made. that's perhaps a reason that made me believe i wasn't going any faster at all.
after i swapped back to oem header and exhaust, the amount of torque i get just overwhelms me and i would never go catback and header again. an axle back is the only thing that i would spend money on if you want sound and look; only an axle back that sounds like rs*r and doesn't look oem. the only engine mod i would buy is intake.
if you want to go aftermarket header and exhaust, my suggestion to you would be to buy them used and dump them after a while. buying them new would be a waste of money in my opinion, or;
stay stock and spend money on exterior and suspension. HID baby.
Old 12-25-2004
One Slow Civic.... But I can take turns pretty well :-)

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
Originally Posted by bamb00
useless, even with catback.
i had kamikaze header with tanabe racing medallion and i was never able to go fast enough for the sound they made. that's perhaps a reason that made me believe i wasn't going any faster at all.
after i swapped back to oem header and exhaust, the amount of torque i get just overwhelms me and i would never go catback and header again. an axle back is the only thing that i would spend money on if you want sound and look; only an axle back that sounds like rs*r and doesn't look oem. the only engine mod i would buy is intake.
if you want to go aftermarket header and exhaust, my suggestion to you would be to buy them used and dump them after a while. buying them new would be a waste of money in my opinion, or;
stay stock and spend money on exterior and suspension. HID baby.
What the **** are you smoking?
Old 12-27-2004
Registered!!

Civic707Style is an unknown quantity at this point
hey thanks for the replies. Yeah I realized my error in posting 4-2-1 so yeah my bad on that and thanks for correcting my mistake. I think I'm just gonna keep my stock headers instead even though they're ugly lol. I never cared about the sound just the performance and it seems that its just a gigantic waste of my hard earned money so f*ck it. Oh and thanks scat man for the insightful reply you posted, your name says it all you are a **** head =)