Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

unorthodox crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004
just breathe...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flowerpowerlove is an unknown quantity at this point
unorthodox crank pulley

anyone have luck with lightened crank pulleys? i have read alot of bad stuff in regards to the DH crank pulley but wonder if the poor results had to do with a poor company. unortho is a good company, wonder if their pulley would yield better numbers?

PS i already have the AEM ps and alt installed...so it could be a triple play
Old 11-30-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Pure garbage. That goes for any crank pulley replacement. None of them have a harmonic damper like stock.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

j-jolly is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ yeah but i don think it is that big of a deal b/c our engines are internanlly balanced i think it is a bigger issue for v8's i think it harms you engine .0000009 or somathing like that i would have to get this book i have from my freind to see what the number was.
Old 12-01-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Then why does the factory pully have a damper piece inside if it doesn't matter?
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

because it hurts .0000009 or what ever not enough to wory about but honda sells it with everything perfect. and i have never heard of anyone saying that putting a crank pulley on there car and it sending the engine so out of balance that it meses it up. if you have show me and i will reconsider geting one.
Old 12-01-2004
TeLLy is my daddy

gtracing is an unknown quantity at this point
i already have one on my car...nothing to worry about..asked many people about them...everyone says that it's ok...unless u race ur car everywhere...but daily driven it's perfectly fine...
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
i would like to buy one and hasve had second thought but my boy said i should get one...so im thinking about it...unotherdox thou. no the dh bullshit...anywayz..do you think you can tell a differance witht his pulley on a turbod car? cause the add says like 10 to 15hp gain?
Old 12-01-2004
just breathe...

lets be honest though, that pulley must weight alot, by putting in a much lighter pulley, something good must happen. right? w/o a doubt the engine is turning less weight, how can that not = hp?
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
i haven't read anyone having decent gains w/ a lightened pulley on a d17
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

ricanswt is on a distinguished road
No problems here ^_^ nice gains all around and nice improvement in Fuel economy. Hit 37 mpg the other day on a road trip to orlando. I averaged 32 mpg before the pulley. Only problem so far is belt slippage in cold weather, i am researching if there is a slightly smaller belt i can use in the winter. Damn Aluminum...

-------Anti-Flame section-------
Stock pulley = 6 lbs
UR Pulley = 1.5 lbs

weight loss = 4.5 lbs

According to theory you gain 2.8 hp from every pound lost at the crank.

4.5 * 2.8 = 12.6 hp

Extra power without changing the fuel curve means less throttle needed to hold the same rpm. That means less air needed and thus less fuel ^_^
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
do you think you actually gained 12.6 hp?
Old 12-01-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
This has got me reconsidering??? I was a little skeptical, but Im gonna be throwin nirous in my car anyways after X-mas, and since there will be some new major parts around between jan and march I think it is, Ima gonna be buying some new toys. So if my engine blows on me, Ill just buy another cheapo D17, or maybe look for a better one wholesale.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

personally i dont rely on the but dyno. some of my friends though asked me if i had done anything recently cause it seemed faster to them. so based ony my friends but dynos it seems faster. I wouldnt doubt the 12.6 hp increase though, cause the theory is sound to the laws of physics.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

yeah 12.6hp sounds a little much i would say 5-8hp but i have heard that theroy to about 2.8 to every lb but i think that is only true to a certain extent but after it is so light there is not as much hp per lb
Old 12-01-2004
just breathe...

hmm, this is interesting. dezods got it on his website for like $200. anyone seen it cheaper than that for comparison?
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

bighav33 is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree with gearbox its pure ****
Old 12-01-2004
TeLLy is my daddy

gtracing is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't actually have numbers to prove that it actually increased hp..and honestly, i don't think it actually does increase hp....it's like putting on lighter rims, it doesn't increase hp...but makes ur car accelerate faster...or flywheel etc....

it's not pure **** because i have one on my car and i can definitely say that it has made my car pull harder after 4krpm....but with turbo i'm pretty sure u can get a few hp gain from the crank pulley...

putting on a crank pulley is just as dangerous as people who turbo charge or add nos to their cars....
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

this is confusing for people trying to decide. you have two completly different stories on gains from it. For sure 100% this wont harm the engine more than .0009%?
Old 12-01-2004
Premium Member

Good luck you guys. Do what you want. I've heard too many stories online so I won't put it on. I have a new balanced DH pulley for sale if anyone wants then.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

there's two different pulley's you can put on right? an i take it the crank one is the one that can be potentialy dangerous.
Old 12-02-2004
Premium Member

There is a crank pulley replacement that goes on the crankshaft, and then the accessory pulley kit that replaces PS and alternator. AEM doesn't make the crank pulley because they realize all the problems it could cause.
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

ah i see now. the accessory pulley wouldn't do a whole lot either i take it. well it just the same old story "d17's don't respond worth **** blah blah blah......"
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
unorthodox crank pulley isnt worth gettin?
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

^^^ Truly it is up to you.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

Chris3k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
well at www.optionimports.com
they sell the whole pulley kit for 296.00 and for a limited time have ups 2 day shippin for free on anything unorthodox racing. so u might wanna checc it out if u wanna risk ur car.
Old 12-07-2004
Registered!!

jdm_bb is an unknown quantity at this point
I have aem tru power pulley kit and combine with the unorthodox crank pully, and i can tell you, you can feel the car has more torque.
Old 12-07-2004
Registered!!

One thing you must realize is that the stock pulley can have a failure far worse than what an after market pulley can cause. That "rubber damper" in the stock pulley will eventually decompose. Causing loud squeeling as the outer ring of the pulley begins to slip around the "damper". Eventually the outer ring can completely slip off of the rest of the pulley and destroy your timing belt.

Breaking the timing belt while the engine is in a mid to high rev = end of engine.

BTW the outer ring of the pulley holds the alternator and AC belt.
Old 12-07-2004
Premium Member

That's why you replace the stock pulley with a new one when you have the timing belt changed.
Old 12-07-2004
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
well just b.c aem doesnt make a crank pulley doesnt mean its not right for the car. unotheradox makes em, and a few other companies. and im pretty sure they wouldnt make pasrt that screw the car up like what you poeple have been saying. i have a friend who had a 450hp talon and he had a crank pulley and his car had not one problem and his brother also. so unless someone has one and had problems on here then post the problem. and idk how you can say the pulley doesnt give you power. they wouldnt make it if it didnt do anything.
Old 12-07-2004
4 cyllinders are good but 5 is better!

GreatWhite02 is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.sportcompactonly.com has just the crank for 189! In my opinion the accessory pulleys aren't worth the money! They wont harm your alternator or anything like that unless you have a high power stereo system, then you need to get an Optima Yellow Top Battery. But for 75 bucks they don't do enough in my opinion. Accessory pulleys will give you MAYBE 5 horses combined and you most likely won't be able to even feel that gain. I'm going to get the crank despite the rumors about poor performance with them! Performance also greatly depends on how it was installed. A poor install yeilds poor numbers. Now granted I may not get as much power out of the crank as a GSR motor would but it should be worth about 8-10 hp at the wheels given that it is installed right. The reason some of you with the pulleys may not be feeling the power is because it is not instant power! It takes about a week to achieve the maximum hp gain because the ecu has to re-calibrate to the lighter rotational weight of the new pulley! Honestly this rubbish about damaging your engine, it's just internet hearsay and someone's word against others. Think about it, if unorthodox was making harmful parts for cars, I gaurantee you they would not be in business today. Like previous posts, Honda engines are internally balanced from the factory. Honda puts balancers on their stock puleys so that they can last for 8 to 10 years. they also have the balancers installed to reduce the cabin noise! That is all car manufactuers are worried about nowadays. Why do think the stock mufflers are so freakin quiet! But honestly who plans on having the same old d17 in 10 years? Here is a link to unorthodox's faq on harmonic dampeners: http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_pulleys.html . They have instructions on how to install pulleys as well as dyno results from a handful of cars all thought I don't recommend that you attempt to install pulleys yourself unless you are a qualified mechanic or very experienced with engines. Im sure there are some people on this site that are capable of installing the pullies themselves. Download the instructions and read them to find out what happens when the crank is installed wrong! I would like to note that the Accord V6 gained 20 horses just on the crank! Check it out!

Last edited by GreatWhite02; 12-07-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: unorthodox crank pulley