Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Pros and Cons to Lightweight Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kain3390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pros and Cons to Lightweight Flywheel

I have a 01 Civic ex 2dr and after reading some of the stuff posted about Lightweight Flywheels. Im seriously considering Getting one. Do you have any suggested weight or brand. my car is a daily driver, so i read that i shouldnt get a super light one. but if i did, what exactly would be the pros and cons.
Old 09-24-2004

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
Well if u go too light u may have idling problems. I have the ACT Streetlight flywheel and it's nice and smooth. Quicker throttle and smoother rev. May as well upgrade the clutch too. I have a Exedy Organic Stage 1 racing clutch and its very nice.
Old 09-24-2004
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
no you shouldnt get a super light one

There are a few benifits to a lighter one

1) You can, how would you say "rev faster". The engine will now be much more responsive to slight blips of the throttle. Theres more to it but I don't feel like getting into that.

2) Less weight on the drivetrain means more power making it to the wheels

The reason why you don't want a super lightweight one for street use is it would make drving normally very hard. With a racing flywheel you could slightly blip the throttle and the revs would shoot up. Can you imagine how hard it would be trying to take off from a stop slowly?? Responsiveness is good but too much is not something you want on the street.

BTW Don't get anything from DH Racing, they offer a flywheel for our cars but they are notorious for extremely bad products. When you call to tell them theyre part blew up your engine, they will simply stop answering the phone. So steer clear of them.
Old 02-01-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
What is a good high quality street flywheel for our cars?

Why change the clutch? I know that it saves time since you already open up a lot of stuff to install the flywheel, but what is the benefit of the aftermarket clutch on a civic with a stock engine?
Old 02-01-2005
Formerly 2blu

Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
I heard that if u get a really light flywheel, u will have to downshift to make it up big hills. Is it true??
Old 02-01-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
gotboost pretty much said everything. ****....im actually AGREEING with you....whats the world coming to??? hahaha...i guess if it has nothing to do w/ social issues its ok. LOL

yeah, a light flywheel will give you much better throttle response, but if you go too light it will be very tough to control. keep in mind, the civic has pretty good low end power and torque, so if you go too light you will spin out every time you try to go from a stop. thats gonna ger annoying and will most certainly attract attention from cops.

i also heard that lighter flywheels are noisier than heavier ones. so thats also something to think about if you have a daily driver. there is also that idling issue. a lighter flywheel will tend to stall easier if you dont adjust the drivetrain propperly.

also remember that youre removing a large vibration damper from the engine, thus there will be more mechanical vibration of the internal components, just something to consider when choosing the weight of the flywheel.
Old 02-01-2005
Registered!!

EM2jdm is an unknown quantity at this point
/\/\would i have those problems with the ACT streetlite since its only about 2lbs lighter?
Old 02-01-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i doubt you will really notice any major differences. i was talking about extreme changes, like if you were to get a 6lb flywheel or something like that.

but shaving 2lbs...unless you want to get something made of a different material, why not just take it to a shop and have them shave 2lbs off your stock flywheel? or do you want to keep the stock one in case you want to put it back on later?
Old 02-01-2005
Registered!!

EM2jdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PbFoot
i doubt you will really notice any major differences. i was talking about extreme changes, like if you were to get a 6lb flywheel or something like that.

but shaving 2lbs...unless you want to get something made of a different material, why not just take it to a shop and have them shave 2lbs off your stock flywheel? or do you want to keep the stock one in case you want to put it back on later?
yeah just if i wanted to sell my civic and part out the parts