Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

quick ? about AEM V2

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NaSh123 is an unknown quantity at this point
quick ? about AEM V2

when I just turn my car on, when its cold and hasn't been turned on all night, while i'm warming up the car there is a sound from the intake, like a shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, is this normal? I can hear it from inside the cabin fine with the windows up. after about 30 seconds - a minute it stops
Old 09-05-2004
Registered!!

1320Racing is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes its normal...
Just your new intake sucking in more air than your used tooo
At least mine does it...
Been doing it for a year now no problems
Old 09-05-2004
Registered!!

alright cool, when I got the intake, jgoodfella1 reccomended getting it wrapped with that heat wrap stuff, he says it improved his gas mileage and performance maybe but not for sure, any other reccomendations?
Old 09-05-2004
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
test drive it and tell me how it does man.
Old 09-05-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah tell us how it compares. That hiss is normal because the idle is higher until engine warms up. You can hear the stock intake doing it, but only if your ear is next to the inlet.
Old 09-05-2004
Mr. Clean

Changu-San can only hope to improve
thats normal on every intake. its just that you can hear it better on aftermarket intakes.
Old 09-05-2004
Boosting Daily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
Yeah my Injen RD CAI does that too. It's pretty normal dude. Does you're go SSSSHHHHHHHH when ya cut it off?? Haha, i love when mine does that. Specialy if i turn the car off with peeps around it they're always like, WHOA! Turbo!? But then i'm like........no
Old 09-05-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rEkKaShInObI
test drive it and tell me how it does man.
so far I like it, not too much power gains but then again with 1-3HP you woudln't be able to feel it even if it did. My low end seems a bit better though, because before when I floored it there would be a second or so lag but I don't seem to have that lag anymore, as for top end I guess it improved? but im not sure, i'll prolly take my car to the track sometime soon and see how it performs. i'll let you guys know, but its defn fun to have
Old 09-05-2004
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
Originally Posted by NaSh123
so far I like it, not too much power gains but then again with 1-3HP you woudln't be able to feel it even if it did. My low end seems a bit better though, because before when I floored it there would be a second or so lag but I don't seem to have that lag anymore, as for top end I guess it improved? but im not sure, i'll prolly take my car to the track sometime soon and see how it performs. i'll let you guys know, but its defn fun to have
thanks a bunch, i dont really wanna spend allota money on intakes, so i should give that one a try sometimes.
Old 09-06-2004
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by EternalBlue_Vic
Yeah my Injen RD CAI does that too. It's pretty normal dude. Does you're go SSSSHHHHHHHH when ya cut it off?? Haha, i love when mine does that. Specialy if i turn the car off with peeps around it they're always like, WHOA! Turbo!? But then i'm like........no
consider yourself lucky for people askin you if u had a turbo...haha
people asks me if i have an exhaust leak or sometimes they ask me is there sometihing wrong with my intake manifold....
Old 09-06-2004
Boosting Daily

EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by se7engen_riDe
consider yourself lucky for people askin you if u had a turbo...haha
people asks me if i have an exhaust leak or sometimes they ask me is there sometihing wrong with my intake manifold....

That's probably cuz you got AEM

Given, AEM is a pretty reliable name when it comes to performance, but for some reason our civics just don't like them. Sale ur intake and get an Injen RD CAI. It sounds alot meaner!
Old 09-07-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
if you wanted to feel immediate effect, you had to have reset the ECU
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

i think my top end improved a bit...i was flooring it a bit and i was expecting to be around 100mph the way it is but when i looked down i was doing 110...so not sure about that...how long does it take for the ECU to adapt? about a day?
Old 09-07-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
About a tank of gas usually. It will need to relearn fuel curves either way. If you reset it, then it starts over. If you don't, it should relearn anyway. The reset thing is only for idle learn if you have problems with that.
Old 09-07-2004

TurboDreamZ is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahh i love the woosh sound .. especially when u have exhuast and how it dies out all quick when the car shuts off and then wwshhiiiiwwoooooo
the intake noise hahah.. too sick..
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

I see, so far driven about 100 miles with the new intake...idle is fine....everything seems fine I guess next tank of gas I should feel the different with the intake? like the REAL difference?
Old 09-07-2004
Premium Member

Well the ecu will gradually adjust the air/fuel and curves depending on how much more air gets to the engine. So you won't feel a sudden increase. I bet when it gets colder, you'll notice a bigger difference. Have you thought about replacing the filter with one made by S&B? Theirs have more, deeper pleats and a velocity stack design for much better airflow and filtering.
Old 09-07-2004
Boosting Daily

Originally Posted by TurboDreamZ
hahahh i love the woosh sound .. especially when u have exhuast and how it dies out all quick when the car shuts off and then wwshhiiiiwwoooooo
the intake noise hahah.. too sick..
hehe, yep yep, love it!
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

haven't seen it, do you have a link and stuff? As long as its not HUGE and looks ugly I wouldn't mind a new filter because it's a new car I don't want everything to get dirty because of bad filtration, btw gearbox u respond way to fast lol its a bit scary
Old 09-07-2004
Boosting Daily

Originally Posted by gearbox
I bet when it gets colder, you'll notice a bigger difference.

Very true. My car feels faster in cold weather with my CAI. But when the humidity and temp's up....
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

Very true. My car feels faster in cold weather with my CAI. But when the humidity and temp's up....
V2 is more like a short ram so I don't think cold weather would effect it that much would it?
Old 09-07-2004
Boosting Daily

Originally Posted by NaSh123
V2 is more like a short ram so I don't think cold weather would effect it that much would it?
Hmmmm.......i'm not sure. But chances are no. Hey! I respond like gearbox!!!! Haha, do i spook ya!?
Old 09-07-2004
Premium Member

Haha. Well I'm gettin the fipk again and there's NO way I'm running their filter. The S&B is just a much better filter (design and filtration) and they've been around a long time. You just measure the length and diamater and pick a color. Looks really nice. You want the powerstack filter.

http://www.sbfilters.com/products/index.htm

http://www.intenseperformance.com/pr...e_filters.html
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
Haha. Well I'm gettin the fipk again and there's NO way I'm running their filter. The S&B is just a much better filter (design and filtration) and they've been around a long time. You just measure the length and diamater and pick a color. Looks really nice. You want the powerstack filter.

http://www.sbfilters.com/products/index.htm

http://www.intenseperformance.com/pr...e_filters.html
these filter as good as the stock intake box? or how does it compare in your opinion, since you've pretty much tried many intakes and opened every bolt on your car
Old 09-07-2004
Premium Member

Well I'm convinced the fipk is the best intake design cause it has a heat shield. Probably doesn't matter. The design of this new filter basically can flow more air than any K&N. It has a similar design to the apexi version. A closed top causes air turbulence, which is bad because it slows down air through the intake pipe. Someone else just got the S&B. They said when holding both up to the light, only K&N had the visible holes in the media. I have a feeling it will filter better than the K&N. It flows more air because of it's design. K&N flows more air than stock because the media is so thin, but filtration sucks.
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

i see....the cone that comes with the AEM V2 thats basically like the K&N correct? I mean its from AEM but the filtration is like the K&N it sucks? so better to try to sell that cone since its hardly used like few days and get the cone your talking about...?
Old 09-07-2004

TurboDreamZ is an unknown quantity at this point
i used to have my intake pipe come out wear the left light used to be with NO filter .. just a mesh screen.. even tho stressed the motor.. pulled low 16s and gave some SI's a lil scare.. heh.. single cam is the hommie
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

Hmmmm.......i'm not sure. But chances are no. Hey! I respond like gearbox!!!! Haha, do i spook ya!?
lol not really, I just felt like sayin that to gearbox because he has alotta posts and he responds fast...just a side question gearbox which bolt have you NOT opened on your car? is there any? lol
Old 09-07-2004
Premium Member

Lol, I haven't tried a catback exhaust. But probably won't want it anyway. AEM recently started making their own filters, but they still have the same crappy design.
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

so you reccomend getting that SB cone? worth the 30 bux for the long run?

Quick Reply: quick ? about AEM V2