Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

hp gains

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The jet chip isn't too good, because it may mess up the air/fuel curve or make it untunable. I think all it does is advance the ignition timing, which isn't really good to do.
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NaSh123 is an unknown quantity at this point
gearbox do you know of any other chip? something that might actually do something? My friend chipped his VW....its insane what chips for VW's do, JUST with a chip he has 260torque and I don't nkow how much HP but not to the wheels, too bad we don't have anything like that
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

skillwill has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by j-jolly
it sounds like to me that "skillwill" is an *** it was just a qustion not a statment. and from what i see we ussally get about 3-5 hp per bolt on. on an average. and i felt a good gain from my header but it is only because i put a 2 1/2" d/p on at the same time with a catco cat so with those three things i felt a good gain.
Do you also get 3- 5 hp for bolt-ons parts?
The girls don't think i'm an ******* only the chumps.
Smurfette sounds to me like he's a tough guy
10.4 on an 1/8: sounds to me like your movin fast
ultimate sleeper with stock tires
not
When you bolted-in your radio did you notice more gain

And first of all if you read the first 5 post you'll see that it starts of with a question then he starts makin his assumption. How are you gonna say you can make 160 hp from bolts, Then after dude shut him down . he's like i'll get at least 30 hp gain.
Dumbass.
that **** is still close to 160
127 stock + magic bolts(30)
You do the math.
Next time mind your business.
Go see if you can pull under 16' in your ****
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

:h grin:
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TMRakip
I have the following mods on my engine. I don't know what the actual gains are, but it does feel a little more powerful, and the way I drive I have been getting better mileage...

K&N FIPK-II Intake - about 5 HP gain, according to K&N, many on the site say it is te only intake worth buying as you don't lose any low end torque

HP Racing Header - No idea about gain, see wild claims, but no real dynographs. Headers are basically useless without:

Random Technologies Super High Flow Catalytic Converter - Your Header and Exhaust are pointless without one of these. Luckily, the RT one comes with a B-Pipe to hook on to your shiny new header, so it actually will do something!

RS-R ExMag Cat-Back Exhaust - Nicest Sounding Exhaust, to me. I don't like sounding like a giant weedwacker. This will give you a few HP, in tandem with an intake/header/catayltic converter

JetChip ECU Upgrade - Don't really know what this does, but I told them what I did to the car and they allegedly made changes. Felt a difference before/after anyway.

I would say all in all, maybe, MAYBE a total of 15 peak HP gained with these, and these are considered to be the best on the market. By peak HP I mean near the top of the RPM range, which is basically useless except for passing on the highway. If you really want power...Lighten that Pig! Look at the Lotus Elise. Under 2000lbs with a 190HP Toyota Celica Engine in it, and it will smoke A LOT of cars. Another example of extreme lightening is my M3. I have custom Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk, Front and Rear Quarter Panels and Door Panels. I have 2 racing seats in it, no stereo etc. I did do some extreme engine tuning, but it is even faster than when it came back from Dinan now that it has shed about 500-600 lbs.

And while we're on the topic. SEARCH!!!
Hey what's up! for that exhaust does it give a whisperin sound before 3,000 rpm then give a nice smooth grawl when vtech kicks in
Just curious.
Heard that exhaust is sweet.
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

thecheat is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want big power from our cars, buy a turbo
Old 08-13-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
the thing I dont understand about this thread is, of course everyone has an aggressive attitude, but I do think at first it started off as friendly advice, then when it wasn't taken and advice was doubted, tension arises, then we start bashing one another, I would bet money on it that with bolt-ons, you're lucky to get 5-10hp, I'd even go far enough to say you might not even feel the difference, but it's easy to imagine a difference in the feel of how the car drives, personally I think I feel a bit more responsiveness in the gas pedal because of the cat-back, but I don't think it's got much hp gains from it.

so overall..

A) if you ask for advice, don't tell the person they're wrong right after you just asked them.

B) uhm whats B? something about if you're doubting someone you asked for advice, don't expect to be treated nicely you're basically telling someone their wrong or you don't believe them when you just asked for advice!

--not saying anyone cares about my opinion (and I'm sure most people realize this situation anyway..) possibly Dr. Phil oriented, I just figured I'd share my opinion...

BTW; once all the bolt-ons are installed, let us know how it turned out.
(however, once someone claims something they probably won't back down even if they are wrong)

Last edited by shmik1; 08-13-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
its been proven that intake/header/exhaust/cat will not put down 160hp for your civic. if you dont believe it, be my guest and try it...

i dont think the little D17 would be able to push out so much power with a minor mod. throwing bigger pipes on an engine thats fairly small wont do for performance. if your serious about gaining power, save all the money you got for the bolt-ons and add $1500 on top of that for a turbo kit. now you can claim 160hp+
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

Civryder02 is an unknown quantity at this point
we have a really restrictive ecu ... which is why many members want to buy the aem engine management thing and get rid of our stock ecu and see how much power we can make with that
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

czechcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DaddyFatSacks
Gearbox is deffinatly into performance more than alot of use posting here. He eats, sleeps and drinks it, he has done so many mods to his car just to switch to something else, it's nuts!

Hey Gearbox, that DH Racing pulley was a total piece of crap huh, mines sitting in the box it came in. Bastards......

haha Mine is still in the box too..its even still in the original plastic baggy
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

TMRakip is an unknown quantity at this point
Skillwill - The RS-R sounds pretty much like stock until you punch it. That's what I like about it, the sound is kinda hard to describe, it is unlike anything else on the market
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
most of bolt-ons are just for "look" in my opinion...
as i posted on the other thread about bolt-ons...
save up a lil more and get it turboed...that's the only and best way.
Old 08-13-2004
Banned

acjones20 is an unknown quantity at this point
this is why lots of people go domestic (I would have if I had $$). HP TV dyno tested a 1994 Z28 camaro 6sp the other day and gained 30RWHP from header, intake, exhaust. Not bad for 120,000+ miles.
Old 08-13-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by acjones20
this is why lots of people go domestic (I would have if I had $$). HP TV dyno tested a 1994 Z28 camaro 6sp the other day and gained 30RWHP from header, intake, exhaust. Not bad for 120,000+ miles.
those engines are like twice as larger. even 6-cylinders can gain 30whp with bolt ons. not sure about 4
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

j-jolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skillwill
Do you also get 3- 5 hp for bolt-ons parts?
The girls don't think i'm an ******* only the chumps.
Smurfette sounds to me like he's a tough guy
10.4 on an 1/8: sounds to me like your movin fast
ultimate sleeper with stock tires
not
When you bolted-in your radio did you notice more gain

And first of all if you read the first 5 post you'll see that it starts of with a question then he starts makin his assumption. How are you gonna say you can make 160 hp from bolts, Then after dude shut him down . he's like i'll get at least 30 hp gain.
Dumbass.
that **** is still close to 160
127 stock + magic bolts(30)
You do the math.
Next time mind your business.
Go see if you can pull under 16' in your ****
i dont think i ever said that my car was a sleeper or that 10.4 was gods gift to speed all i was saying is that you will probably see 3-5 hp so max 15 from i/h/e wich would make a total of 15 hp which would give you the grand total of 125-130 to the wheels in an ex. and why are yuo geting so cockey any way all i was saying was to get off of peoples back for asking a qustion. and as for the stock tires i was saying stock tires as in spining through first getting a 2.6 60ft and still getting a 10.4 most civics get a 2.3 or 2.4 60 ft and only get 10.8 so my car pulls high end but i still cant belive that you know about the radio that gave me 85 hp to the wheels. that was damn good its a factory honda tape player.its my secret so dont tell anyone. dumd a$$. and i have betean a gsr which runs a 15.3 on avarege so i think i am faster the a 16 so clap clap clap for me and it is a smurf a guy smurf not smurfet get it right damn. and what does it have to do with being a tough guy on an internet forum. you are probably just some computer nerd that sets in front of the computer all day mouthing people. so right now i still dont know why i am still typing i think i will quit now.
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

mb28 is an unknown quantity at this point
On the 6th gen civics the aftermarket intake goes out further from the engine more like close to the fender. On our civics it only stays in the middle right above the transmission. Another words you will have gain for a short while until the car has warmed up.
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

xtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by imprtcivic18
i think you can get about a good 30 hp on top of stock with all that
Old 08-13-2004
Banned

acjones20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jttegx
those engines are like twice as larger. even 6-cylinders can gain 30whp with bolt ons. not sure about 4
So? I think that in a performance car larger would be better? No replacement for displacement.
Old 08-13-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well the 6th gen vics get alot more gain from mods than we do, and they have 1.6L. The ecu isn't as environment friendly tho.
Old 08-13-2004

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
haha.. the more environment destroying the engine.. the faster it goes vroom... lol..
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

j-jolly is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^^ true that
Old 08-14-2004
Custom Titles are played out

RiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gearbox
Well the 6th gen vics get alot more gain from mods than we do, and they have 1.6L. The ecu isn't as environment friendly tho.
I'm going to have to disagree about the mods on the 6th gen vics.. but i'm not gonna argue with a mod
Old 08-14-2004
Premium Member

What you don't think a supercharger will make it faster?

Actually, the 6th gen is lev and our cars are ulev. The guy up there is right saying more vroom when you hurt the environment, lol.
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO, even though u do get forced inductions for our cars, it still wouldnt be fast...for a forced induction car. correct me if i am wrong but...if i installed a turbo kit for my car...( D17a) then i would be pushin about...200 hp? maybe a bit higher??
with that..all stock v6 accord could spank me! =/
Lets just say, if u want a fast car, get somethin that has a v6 engine or bigger.
GET A DAMM SUPRA...=) ( MY DREAM CAR )
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

HoldDaMayo is an unknown quantity at this point
weight matters... you can't just ignore the fact the accord is much heavier... a turbo civic shouldn't have any problems getting into the 14's, which is definitely faster than a stock V6 accord...
Old 08-15-2004
Premium Member

The SF kit was able to do 180whp at 8psi I think. That's almost double what a normal civic puts out. You also need to consider other factors such as weight. Our civics are lighter than most cars that already come fast from the factory. I've heard of turbo civics pulling on Sti.
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
turbo civics can keep up or beat a v6 accord..that has 240 hp or how ever many hp the newest accords have?
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

im pretty sure they can...civics are much lighter than a V6 accord with bigger engine comes more weight so ya....im pretty sure a turbo civic will easily take a v6 accord
Old 08-15-2004
unique conformist

dannn will become famous soon enough
i heard the weight difference between a coupe and sedan wasnt that great.
i read in a different thread that it was like 11 pounds or so. is this true?
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

go check on the site www.hondacars.com look for the curb weight and compare...i would imagine it would be more like 100-200 maybe?

Quick Reply: hp gains