Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Fuel System Cleaner: Which do you swear by?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Fuel System Cleaner: Which do you swear by?

Well i went over to pep boys and wanted a really good fuel system cleaner.

I have a problem with my car, when im going really fast in a long corner, the fuel cuts off... One of the reasons is probably because I have low fuel (less than half a tank of gas) or the injectors are DIRTY.

Well Today it cut off while I was driving through a somewhat sharp turn and it cut off then kicked back in...Felt like I had maaad VTEC.

I was going to buy some valvolene fuel system cleaner till I saw this bottle of Redline fuel system cleaner, treats up to 100 gallons. They tell you to use the whole bottle for the first time then like 4-5 capfulls every 10 gallons afterwards. (the bottle is marked)

I figure this stuff is some good strong stuff so I buy it (5.99 aint too bad either)

I just put it in so I cant say if i notice that they are spraying better or ive gotten back to my normal acceleration.

Now the question, What fuel system/fuel injector cleaner do you swear by??
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

yea when going above 60pmh usually around 70mph on a highway onramp the car goes crazy and cuts off...then for a lil bit im unable to rev past 3k...Turned the car off once on the highway and cut it back on and the problem was gone.

If not what I had mentioned what else could be the problem?
Old 07-13-2004
Banned by Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
Might wanna get it checked out. Sounds like there is something other than your gas.
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
ok,

some said that chevron techron is good...some said it's useless...

some said that greased lighting fuel system cleaner is good....some said it's gonna make ur plugs turn green....

what should we do?

now im even afraid to use em..
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

leebregman is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem with my old 97 EX on the freeway. Back then I didn't know too much about cars so I would just down shift into 4th and then back to 5th and it used to fix the problem for me.
Old 07-13-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zen_master
ok,

some said that chevron techron is good...some said it's useless...

some said that greased lighting fuel system cleaner is good....some said it's gonna make ur plugs turn green....

what should we do?

now im even afraid to use em..

Honda has its own kind of fuel sysytem cleaner! I gotta do my 90,000 mile service this week and they told me its time to use it. So there gonna use there own fuel system cleaner. I'll keep updated on how it is.. either way if somthing goes wrong , honda gotta fix it.. keep u guys updated!!!
Old 07-13-2004
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
Greased Lighting Fuel System Cleaner, I used Chevrons but did no good.

Yes the GL Fuel Sysmtes Cleaner did turn my spark plugs a little green, not much at all it might have been my minds since it was suggested on the board, but with a few miles on the car the where back to normal.
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Quijano187
Honda has its own kind of fuel sysytem cleaner! I gotta do my 90,000 mile service this week and they told me its time to use it. So there gonna use there own fuel system cleaner. I'll keep updated on how it is.. either way if somthing goes wrong , honda gotta fix it.. keep u guys updated!!!
that, i think, it's probably the BG-44 fuel system cleaner....around $16

u can find em on the dealer or.........most likely, on GM dealer.
Old 07-13-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Techron is useless. Very mild and doesn't do anything. I have proof.

Use greased lightning and huge difference! Engine sounds very good without any ricey growling noises. I took it to 6500rpms and it pulled the whole way up. Yes it stains the plugs a bit, but you can always just take them out and wipe it off after the tank of gas is done. Great stuff.
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

dnbguy86 is an unknown quantity at this point
okay guys....just a fyi...i work in a dealership and all those fuel system cleaners are useless, not to mention they hurt yur 02 sensors...
Old 07-13-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
How do you know? Alot of these cleaners meet or exceed cleaning standards of BMW/mercedes testing. I've actually looked at my pistons, and I can feel a difference after the last one I tried.
Old 07-13-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i use STP fuel system cleaner
Old 07-13-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
I have never, ever used cleaners. Never had problems, all cars ran great into the 150k's and even 250,000 miles. Don't use bargain gas. I use 67, mostly, and my station is always busy so they always have fresh gas in the tanks. So no sediments or rust.

I think cleaners are over rated. I used to rebuild a carburettor or 2 in my days, and the problem was rarely the fuel, but the crap that got in through a bad/cheap/or dirty air filter.

If your car suddenly acts up, it may have gotten some bad gas from the last station. It'll go away on the next fill.

I got gas a few years ago, and the car at some point refused to start. After a LOT of troubleshooting, I finally drained the tank. Out came mostly water. It wouldn't even light! No fuel system cleaner would have helped there. (Duh)
Point is, you can spend your money on whatever you want. But you shouldn't need any cleaners for the injectors. By the time they may need cleaning, they are likely worn and should be replaced anyway.

Just use decent fuel from a station that DOESN'T water their gas down, and has good turnover. You'll never have problems.
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

Prism111 is an unknown quantity at this point
I noticed that u guys r havin these problems when takin turns and goin fast. I think it might be the lack of gas in ur tank. On a long turn goin real fast all the gas goes to the side of the tank where the fuel line cannot pick it up. You feel like its getting cut off because at high speed ur car uses more gasoline so it is more noticeable.

I dont know thas jus my guess. LOL
Old 07-14-2004
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tinman
I have never, ever used cleaners. Never had problems, all cars ran great into the 150k's and even 250,000 miles. Don't use bargain gas. I use 67, mostly, and my station is always busy so they always have fresh gas in the tanks. So no sediments or rust.

I think cleaners are over rated. I used to rebuild a carburettor or 2 in my days, and the problem was rarely the fuel, but the crap that got in through a bad/cheap/or dirty air filter.

If your car suddenly acts up, it may have gotten some bad gas from the last station. It'll go away on the next fill.

I got gas a few years ago, and the car at some point refused to start. After a LOT of troubleshooting, I finally drained the tank. Out came mostly water. It wouldn't even light! No fuel system cleaner would have helped there. (Duh)
Point is, you can spend your money on whatever you want. But you shouldn't need any cleaners for the injectors. By the time they may need cleaning, they are likely worn and should be replaced anyway.

Just use decent fuel from a station that DOESN'T water their gas down, and has good turnover. You'll never have problems.
Exactly you use "67" in a station that seems to always have fresh gas and without sediments or rust. So for you fuel cleaners and cleaning your injectors are “overrated”, and I agree with you, some cleaners are overrated, but they do work to some extent.

You are saying that nobody should need to use fuel cleaner, well I agree and disagree, some people don’t use premium gas, they go for the cheap stuff and who can blame them given that gas prices are too high. In my town there is only two, so called, good gas stations Chevron, and 76, both which are always deserted cause their prices are above the roof. Once in a wile you will see a guy with a Corvette, a Porch or the guy with a rice out Daewood there but that’s about it.

I drive my car about 27k – 33k miles a year. I put gas were ever and whenever I need too some days its 76, some days its Bob’s Gas and Rental Movies. So in my case I do need to use fuel cleaners.

This guy asked for help regarding fuel cleaner, lets help this guy out, by giving him our experiences with fuel cleaner for we don’t know his situation on why he need it. Good advice such as yours is always good and welcome, I just wanted to point out cases in which some one would need to use a fuel cleaner.
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
When do you fill-up your tank? You might have deposits in your tank. If you drive close to empty, the deposits wil settle at the bottom and get sucked into the injection system to be burnt up in the engine. The refuel your car any go on about your life. You can also try using a fuel treatment that also treats water if it is in your tank.

btw, the Honda fuel treatment would be a good idea. It's like $100, but I believe they take off the im clean the ports and injectors. You can call them and ask all that they do.
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

Free is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel Power

Fella's try Fuel Power by Lube Control www.lubecontrol.com. Comes highly recommended by the folks at www.bobistheoilguy.com and by Terry Dyson of Dyson Analysis.

Very good product and will not hurt your 02 sensors.
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

holy what?? $25?
Old 07-14-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
$25 a gallon.
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tinman

Thats exactly what im sayin, i use A crappy K&N filter and a K&N oil filter, i know i have sediments and crap in the engine... So Which cleaner should i use?

Originally Posted by Green Civic
When do you fill-up your tank? You might have deposits in your tank. If you drive close to empty, the deposits wil settle at the bottom and get sucked into the injection system to be burnt up in the engine. The refuel your car any go on about your life. You can also try using a fuel treatment that also treats water if it is in your tank.

btw, the Honda fuel treatment would be a good idea. It's like $100, but I believe they take off the im clean the ports and injectors. You can call them and ask all that they do.

And yea I heard the GM industrial strength one is like 69 dollars...and that one probably can hurt the o2 sensors..I remember them saying you should only use
Old 07-14-2004
Premium Member

Use greased lightning. It worked wonders, but there is no way to fix engine damage caused by dirt that wasn't filtered enough. I'm gonna try the lucas cleaner next time.
Old 07-14-2004
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Redline SHOULD have a good product... their synthetic oil is in two words: The ****.
Old 07-14-2004
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
ive never added anything to mine...no problems thus far

i buy the same gas everytime:

76 brand
87-octane
from the same location
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
Use greased lightning. It worked wonders, but there is no way to fix engine damage caused by dirt that wasn't filtered enough. I'm gonna try the lucas cleaner next time.

same here....ill spend the 50 bucks
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

TurboDieselDrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Free
Fella's try Fuel Power by Lube Control www.lubecontrol.com. Comes highly recommended by the folks at www.bobistheoilguy.com and by Terry Dyson of Dyson Analysis.

I agree with this guy!!!! Everything else is just a pointless waste of money!
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
well, i dont swear by any. ive used b&g 44k which supposedly works very well. but after doin a bunch of research i plan on tryin red line si-1 sometime, it sounds good.
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

how's ur BG-44 working for ya???
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

Storm897 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Free

Originally Posted by TurboDieselDrew
I agree with this guy!!!! Everything else is just a pointless waste of money!
Lube Control and Auto-RX are THE BEST products to protect your engines oil, power steering, and transmission systems as recomended on www.bobistheoilguy.com and by searching the net.

I just bought Auto-RX & will try it on my transmission and oil.
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by zen_master
how's ur BG-44 working for ya???

i used the 44k in my old eclipse gsx and i dont remember how well it worked, probably not very good if i cant remember. but this is just off "Feel".. things couldve improved and i just didnt know.
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

icc...

im only interested in the MPG though, hehehe...

Quick Reply: Fuel System Cleaner: Which do you swear by?