Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

OBX racing headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004
Escaped Convict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
for the ex it bolts right up and there's no o2 sensor to worry about and no CEL should come up
Old 05-19-2004
Registered!!

lid6662 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good thats what I wanted to hear
Old 05-20-2004
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have a EX after you already have the Header, Cat-Back and Intake, once you put on the Hi Flow Cat it will make a noise like "ARRRRRRRGH!" right before you hit VTEC. It's a nice sound if you ask me.
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

Heres a pic of
I got the right header this time from the company but wrong Cat! Its like 1foot to short or so.... Only got 20 miles on it so far but seems to pull a little better up top! The holes are bigger and theres nicer curves for the flow of the header than the stock ones!
Old 06-09-2004
Escaped Convict

what does the cat look like? well i suppose if its 1 foot off then its not really for the car. heh.
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
Does any one know whats the correct part number for the 01+ Civic header?

I got this and just want to make sure I have the correct one. The box says 10057 which could be the part number. It has one O2 bung.

My LX-to-EX exhaust system (Magnaflow with RandomTech hi-flow cat. EX swaybar is also pictured)
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

Well, it turns out that I was sent the wrong OBX Header.

The upper pipe, which is the b-pipe with RandomTech cat. While the bottom pipe is the OBX pipe.

Old 07-18-2004
4 cyllinders are good but 5 is better!

GreatWhite02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fitiment

Will the Kamikaze or OBX headers BOLT on without ANY modifications what so ever? I've heard that people have had trouble with downpipe fitting and problems with emissions compatibility. i want to get either header but if it is gonna trip my CEL then I dont want to mess with it.
Old 07-18-2004
Registered!!

if the Kamikaze and OBX is for LX application, its a bolt on.

if you are worried about the CEL, get the LX-to-EX conversion mentioned above.
Old 07-18-2004

so can i use my magnaflow cat-back in this conversion? Is the sway bar absolutely neccessary? And what is all this sh** about o2 simulators?
Old 07-19-2004
Escaped Convict

hey 518.. yeah you were sent the DX/LX header.. not the EX one..

although what you could do, since you got the magnaflow exhaust.. it has the extension pipe you have pictured there.. which was made for DX/LX application..

you can just simply bolt the entire exhaust without any high flow cat. magnaflow exhaust.. DX/LX extension pipe... DX/LX header.. and you wouldn't have to swap out the sway bar.

but you did went through the trouble to get this conversion.. so might as well send that DX/LX header back, and get the EX header.. so you'll have a working convertor that wont require o2 simulator.

as for the other question from the other guy.. you'll need a sway bar yes, because if you're getting an EX highflow cat.. it'll get in the way of the DX/LX sway bar. and an o2 simulator is for getting rid of the check engine light that will go on, if you get a "highflow cat" that doesn't really have catalyst in it.. basically just a test pipe.
Old 07-19-2004
Escaped Convict

btw 518, can i save ur pics and use it for future reference? If I ever write any articles I may need a picture for better example and reference.
Old 07-19-2004

Ok so let me get this straight. For the OBX or Kamikaze headers to be legal and for the CEL to stay off, I need to get an o2 simulator, an aftermarket cat. and the sway bar from the EX Civic correct? Is the junkyard the only place that I could get an EX sway bar? How can I be sure that the pipes will all be long enough or short enough to fit? Someone was also saying something about getting an EX header. I thought the EX headers wouldnt fit LX's cuz they are bigger? Maybe Im wrong.
Old 07-19-2004

Hey guyz I have an update on the situation with the OBX and Kamikaze headers. I talked to both companies and they said there is no way to customize the setup to be smog and carb legal. All that stuff about Ex conversions is obsolete. You cannot move your cat. to another location cuz the computer is programed to operate with the cat where it is. If you move it your computer will not operate correctly and your car's performance will decline. If you dont care about passing inspections or getting tickets for smog violations than do what you want to do but be advised that you are going to run into alot of problems down the road. Even if it doesnt seem to be causing problems immediately after installing, it will eventually. Not to mention that these headers wont give you much if any hp boost at all. About the only thing they will do is make your exhaust sound a tad louder and more grumbly but to me that isnt worth the trouble of getting it to operate properly.

Last edited by GreatWhite02; 07-19-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2004
Escaped Convict

no one said it was gonna be legal.

I see all these post by you and you seem to be getting yourself confused. i mean you got some facts right.. but you're getting yourself confused over words.

go take a look at your car.. the engine bay.. the pipping below to get a better understanding of whats going on.

you can grab an ex sway bar anywhere.. not just the junkyard.. the dealer can have them to you brand new.. some EX owners have swapped their front ones for aftermarket ones.. so you can check in the for sale forum.. you can also grab it online at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com, which also has more diagrams for you to look at for comparison.

if you do the correct setup, or conversion it should all bolt up fine. just gotta extend the o2 sensor wiring.

anyways I wish I can type it all out and explain to you why those companies are giving you safe answer.. and although they're correct in some sense, it doesnt necessary apply for us too.

just do some more searching, I and many other members have went over swapping out the exhaust system.. the yield it may gain, etc. etc.

I dont know why you're so confused, a lot of people have done the ex to lx exhaust system swap, and they're all running fine.. like I said, go take a look at your car maybe it'll help out more to get a better understanding..

it'll help especially to have an ex owner you can check out too. or just check out the site i mentioned above, and take a look at the diagrams.
Old 08-09-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CapYoda
btw 518, can i save ur pics and use it for future reference? If I ever write any articles I may need a picture for better example and reference.
You probably have, but you can use the pic anyway you want.

thanks for your reply too.

By the way, I was sent an Eclipse header but has been replaced by an EX one.

I am just about to install the exhaust this wednesday.

One question, and its been bothering me for a while.

The RandomTech Hi-Flow Cat end, why is it shaped like that? Will it still fit an EX header? The EX header will be tucked inside the RandomTech, the way I see it. I tried test-fitting the RandomTech and the Magnaflow, it looks like it will have some kinda leak due to the tapered end of the RandomTech. (see pic.)
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

civiclx4dr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I Will Buy The Header Off Of You I Need It Asap Tahnks Let Me Know
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

All I have is the downpipe for a dx lx!
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

Obx Header For Dx/lx Models

what gains do you get with the lx dx obx header?
Old 08-20-2004

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
if u have a dx/lx then read this
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169411
Old 08-20-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xproductionz
In reference to what?

I Will Buy The Header Off Of You I Need It Asap Tahnks Let Me Know
Get it from eBay for $135. Another seller started selling the header for 0.99cents with no reserve. The seller is cleaning up the inventory, according to the text.

what gains do you get with the lx dx obx header?
Butt-Dyno tells me nothing. all I know is that I feel a bit of a pull at 4K rpm, something's pulling you but its not the vtec

For the record on my LX to EX conversion:

1. I didnt need the swaybar. 04 LX has the same swaybar as the EX.
2. I didnt need the O2 sim. One of the O2 sensor wire can be extended and reach the RandomTech hi-flow cat.
3. No leak regarding the non-tapered flange of the RandomTech since a donut is used.

Hey guyz I have an update on the situation with the OBX and Kamikaze headers. I talked to both companies and they said there is no way to customize the setup to be smog and carb legal.
Makes me wonder why OBX says on their site, CARB exempt. I could care less anyway. Just to be on the safe side or get less hassle, I have the EX RandomTech hi-flow cat. Its better than not having any at all, I hope.
Old 08-20-2004

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
Originally Posted by Xeno2k1
I was just wondering if anyone has the OBX racing headers and if so, do u like em or not? Thanks
im just answering the original question which i referenced to the topic i made earlier to prove that i do have it and also a dx to ex conversion is possible
Old 08-20-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xproductionz
im just answering the original question which i referenced to the topic i made earlier to prove that i do have it and also a dx to ex conversion is possible
You could have just said you like it or you dont. Your link points to "DIY - DX/LX head swap to EX Vtec" topic. But I dont blame you, if I DIY something Id be proud to flaunt it in every thread that I could find
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

Hey I bought the dx/lx obx header for a 2003 civic lx. Is it good for gains, and will the engine light stay off?

Thanks

al R&D catback, and I have great gains on my DX stick. I don't know how some of you guys can say it doesnt do anything because it is EXACTLY the same mold as the Kamikaze header and that header is one of the best on the market today. I only paid 130.00 shipped from Ebay for it too. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone with an lx/dx.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

03CivicEX4Door is an unknown quantity at this point
whats the part number for that obx header for an 03 ex
Old 05-31-2005
Registered!!

Civic707Style is an unknown quantity at this point
can't you just install the EX 4-1 headers without the cat and downpipe that come with them sometimes? That's what I was gonna do. I know the power gains are about as big as Vern Troyer but my stock one is ugly and I want a purrrrty one.
Old 05-31-2005
Registered!!

Civic707Style is an unknown quantity at this point
ooops meant 4-2-1 header...had a lil' to drink my bad hee hee
Old 06-01-2005
Registered!!

CiViCLiZeD714 is an unknown quantity at this point
umm the topic is olddddddddddddddddd
Old 06-01-2005
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
^ yup...very old. i ordered obx header not too long ago. i should get it next week thursday or friday. some people here say that they felt a better pull on top end. hmm...im sure its not much but its always good to know that your car got a little bit faster eh? haha
Old 06-02-2005
Registered!!

civicph is an unknown quantity at this point
what are the OBX headers copies of? I see some say Kamikaze others DC, which do they look like?

Quick Reply: OBX racing headers