Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Confused about Kamikaze....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HondaBrad01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Confused about Kamikaze....

Ok, Im pretty sure Im horribly mistaken here. I though that the Kamikaze header for the EX's came with the down pipe that eliminates the cat?? Or is HP the only one that offers it?

I thought I ordered the header w/pipe, so I got the MIL eliminator too. What I got was a shorty header. So I guess I dont need the MIL.

So where do I go from here? Do I need to order a test pipe then? I dont live in an area that does emissions testing.

Thanks for any help/info. Please refrain from any flaming. I feel bad enough as it is. lol

-Brad
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

Dont everyone speak at once now....

The help around here is astounding. lease:
Old 03-25-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
I have a LX, my exhuast system is kamikaze with tanabe srm, I do also have MIL eliminator. From what I saw, the mechanic connects the MIL to the first cat, which I think is located near the header itself, not after it. Tanabe does eliminate all cats, hence I ordered an aftermaket cat from Rob@bigjoshracing too, I never did put it on though. To answer your question, you might want to take a look and see if the MIL goes to the cat, the first cat, that locates close to your header, and not the one after that. I hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

bamb00- Thanks for the reply, but that didnt help me at all. Im not even gonna use the MIL, since I still have the cat. I thought I ordered the header w/pipe, that eliminates the cat. I guess I was wrong.

So does Kamikaze not make the down pipe for the EX's then? Will I have to buy a test pipe, or have one made?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 03-25-2004
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Confused about Kamikaze....

Originally posted by HondaBrad01

Ok, Im pretty sure Im horribly mistaken here. I though that the Kamikaze header for the EX's came with the down pipe that eliminates the cat?? Or is HP the only one that offers it?

I thought I ordered the header w/pipe, so I got the MIL eliminator too. What I got was a shorty header. So I guess I dont need the MIL.
Nope. Actually there are two. There is a DX/LX version (the popular one) and then there's the EX version.

The LX is a long tubed 4-1 header with a straight pipe that leads directly to the exhaust. It eliminates the header and automatically the cat converter located on the header itself. This is probably the best header you can get.

The EX version is just as you described... should look just like a stock EX header.

The reason for this is because both headers require different exhaust systems as the DX/LX has a different exhaust set-up than the EX. So technically you cannot put the LX Kamikaze header on with the EX exhaust due to the location of the cat.

What do you have? LX or EX?
Old 03-25-2004
All Eyes On Z

So does Kamikaze not make the down pipe for the EX's then? Will I have to buy a test pipe, or have one made?
I assume you have an EX so this is what you want.
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

verzo70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the piping on the Kamikaze header larger in diameter vs. the stock header? Also, is the piping on the Kamikazee header larger in diameter vs. a DC Sports Ceramic header?
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

02VicLx is an unknown quantity at this point
the kamikaze header is larger in diameter vs the stock header and the dc sports header. the stock header and the dc sports header are very similar.
Old 03-25-2004
All Eyes On Z

Re: Confused about Kamikaze....

www.topspeedauto.com has that. Not only HP. eBay has plenty of them for DIRT cheap.
Old 03-25-2004
All Eyes On Z

I think I kind of like this header's design over the popular one HP/Top Speed have for sale. It's just how the header bends. The tubes are considerably huge. They look a bit thicker in diameter than HP and TopSpeed's but I might be wrong.

At any rate, if I don't like the one I just got (a replica of HP's shorty) then I'll look into Top Speed's if this one gets good reviews. Their LX header is probably the best header you could buy.
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

wantaturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
i have that kamikazee shorty on my ex, but i also have a megan racing downpipe with high flow cat. i love it and it looks hot too
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

Thanks for the replys.

SlammedBlueEM2- Yeah, thats the shorty header I got. I think Ill just leave the cat on for now. Ill eventually either get a high flow cat or test pipe. I found that the quality of the Kamikaze to be fairly high. Theres just one concerned and its that where the primaries meet the flange (on the inside), its not quite lined up just right....so ther is a small lip in a couple of them. Im gonna smooth everything out with my dremel and a die grinding bit. The only other thing I found, was where they used the wire welder.......THEY LEFT A PIECE OF WIRE, WELDED IN ONE OF THE PRIMARIES!! DUH!! It was easy to get out, but jeeez...

Kamikaze--->
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

verzo70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it CARB legal?
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey bamboo, you said that you hooked your MIL eliminator up to the sensor on the header??? I have always heard that you hook it to the cat sensor...I have an EX and my eliminator is hooked up to the cat and works fine...Is there a difference when using a Mil eliminator from LX/DX/EX?
Old 03-26-2004
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by verzo70
Is it CARB legal?
That's a good question because the shorty is NOT for off-road use, unlike the LX header. If it's replacing the cat then it's a definite no.
Old 03-26-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
HondaBrad01 your from Il right they do emissions testing I took my grandfather car to have it done man...
Old 03-26-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Its illegal in the US to replace a CAT unless its rusted to $hit but most states that have inspections won't check unless the exhaust note is really loud. In Cali, it would be tough to get away with that mid pipe, but in Florida where there are really no restrictions, you could get away with it. It kinda depends on what state your in as to what you can do to your car. I got pulled over in NY recently because my "exhaust was to shinny".
Old 03-26-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Which one is the best High Temp Black Coating or Nickel Polish Chrome or High Luster Ceramic Coating for Kamikaze header let me know
Old 03-26-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
which one do you like? I think the chrome looks hot once it gets used after a while.
Old 03-26-2004

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by cwick187
Hey bamboo, you said that you hooked your MIL eliminator up to the sensor on the header??? I have always heard that you hook it to the cat sensor...I have an EX and my eliminator is hooked up to the cat and works fine...Is there a difference when using a Mil eliminator from LX/DX/EX?
If it works fine then you shouldn't have to worry about it. I think mine is hooked up to the o2 sensor on the header, I DON'T REMEMBER I DIDN'T DO IT lol
Which one is the best High Temp Black Coating or Nickel Polish Chrome or High Luster Ceramic Coating for Kamikaze header let me know
High Luster will be slightly cooler than than black coating, they make no difference, no noticeable difference anyway, mostly for the looks. I remember Rob himself saying, I quote, "I would take black coating over high luster ceramic anyday."
Old 03-26-2004

Originally posted by blouisgod
which one do you like? I think the chrome looks hot once it gets used after a while.
I have the nickle polish one, and it has the rainbow colour now so go figure...
Old 03-26-2004
All Eyes On Z

If you want to get away with emissions just:

A) Put the stock one back on for the testing, whether it be header, header & high flow cat or just high flow cat

B) Find someone who'll pass for you or make a deal with someone.

As for which one is the best, it won't be the black one because the coating will eventually come off the header. It's been said here that chrome is just for show although the finish of it can really suck over time and ceramic is to keep it cool but ceramic tends to crack. As for nickel, I dunno.

On the other hand, it says ceramic coated - I guess I can't really help but this is a topic that's been talking about here a lot. Search it up.
Old 03-27-2004
Registered!!

Just because I live in IL doesnt mean that we ALL get tested. I live in a town where the pop. is 5,000. No worries!
Old 03-27-2004
All Eyes On Z

For reals. If you live in a state like Louisiana, there are no emissions standards. Open-header all day.
Old 03-27-2004
Registered!!

CelCUs is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not hard to find someone who will pass it . . . I get my oil changed with new oil filter and all new fluids for like $10. Just go to some guys that look like they don't care and their boss isn't around, I guarentee they'll pass whatever you throw at them for $15