Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

DH-Racing Pulley Has Arrived!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DhRacingJosh is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a stock mark on your stock timing cover

Match them up. Mark the pulley on the timing mark.
Old 02-17-2004
Banned

I mean pretty close will do but you can see where when you move it either way will go up or down and wont continue in the same motion, so you will be pretty close.
Old 02-17-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
damn, this seems confusing, lol
Old 02-17-2004
Banned

Call me with any isssues better yet call Dave haha number is on the site
Old 02-18-2004
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
can we get the UPS Tracking# ???
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
So what your saying is we turn the crank by where the crank pulley is and see if the piston is on top and thats how u mark the timing. Am i right on this?
Old 02-18-2004
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Originally posted by VTECTypeR
So what your saying is we turn the crank by where the crank pulley is and see if the piston is on top and thats how u mark the timing. Am i right on this?
Yea, this is what I am totally confused about.

WTF does marking the pulley have to do with setting the timing? How the hell is that gonna change anything?
Old 02-18-2004
Banned

If your car isn't timed properly when you set the ignition timing, ect... then it will be way off. You won't get maximum power from your motor. That's the big deal I know you all care about ;-)
Old 02-18-2004

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Gah! I guess I'm not making myself clear enough.

When you turn the crank, that moves the piston up the the top of the cylinder. Then you put a little mark on the pulley. How on earth does that change the timing? Would you have to tighten a bolt or do something else? I think I am just totally missing the point of this whole thing because I keep hearing the same answer over and over. It still isn't making any sense to me.

BTW, yes, I am retarded.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

Entropy is an unknown quantity at this point
What I'm getting from this is, you mark the pulley when the piston is at the top, then you rotate the pulley to line the mark up with the timing mark on the cover, attach the belt and your good to go. Is that right?
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

mootlif3 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is over my head for right now :/. I'm sure once I see what I'm doing I'll either slap my head and know what you were talking about or fubar my car. Hehe.
Old 02-18-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Entropy
What I'm getting from this is, you mark the pulley when the piston is at the top, then you rotate the pulley to line the mark up with the timing mark on the cover, attach the belt and your good to go. Is that right?
Although I am pretty sure I have no idea how to do this.....^^ his idea made a lot of sense. I believe we have a winner.
Old 02-18-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
Now that I think about it.....where do u mark the pully when the piston is at the top, and which pistons, the outer or inner?
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

czechcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont think were changing timing...I think were kepping it were its supposed to be...I think
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

czechcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
What he said

Originally posted by YS
can we get the UPS Tracking# ???
Old 02-18-2004
Banned

Ok the #1 piston is CLOSEST TO THE TIMING COVER. You mark the puley to know where your timing is then you use that on the distributor, ect...to tune the car with proper tuning. If you go to tune your car and have no idea where the timing is then you wont be able to get the peak HP from it. It wont make sense till you are on a dyno trying to make the most power from your setup, or you take it to someone to tune it. I can't explain it because you guys have never done it so it wont make any sense till you have seen it done.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

RoBBUsaF is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CarbonFly

BTW, yes, I am retarded.
admitting your flaws is your first step. good job.
Old 02-18-2004
Banned

There is a mark on the timing cover you can see it. When you have the piston at top dead center then you make that mark on the pulley at the same spot the mark on the cover is, dont move the pulley or anything like that because it will just move the spot. You see the mark on the cover and just make that on the pulley.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

Entropy is an unknown quantity at this point
and then what will you use the mark on the pulley for? Or will the pulley only attach to the crank a certain way and that is to line it up correctly, then you can attach the belt?
Old 02-18-2004
Banned

The mark on the pulley is to know where the timing is, then you can tune the car properly. I really can't explain it, it will never make sense. Take it to a dyno and let them show you in person how it affects the performance.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

mootlif3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I understand it, sorta. Move the cylinder to the top, when it's at the top make the mark on the pulley to set timing straight. I understand, I think lol. I guess this is to make sure everything is straight when you put the belt on/tighten everything, right? Please don't hate, I'm just the new local slow thinker ;P.
Old 02-18-2004
Banned

No hating in here. It helps with everything. It will make sure everything in the motor in in unison.
Old 02-18-2004

keepin_it_clean is an unknown quantity at this point
ok how about this haha, first person *cough* fly *cough* that does a good diy, including pics and captions etc for the pulley install, gets some points or something from each of us wanting to know how to do this. its probably a lot easier than were making it out to be, and its definately harder to explain things over the net instead of face to face. What do you guys think?
Old 02-18-2004
Banned

Yeah please someone help me out. I dont have a D17 to work on here. It will help everyone out *cough, cough* wish I could help

hehe
Old 02-18-2004

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by CarbonFly
Gah! I guess I'm not making myself clear enough.

When you turn the crank, that moves the piston up the the top of the cylinder. Then you put a little mark on the pulley. How on earth does that change the timing? Would you have to tighten a bolt or do something else? I think I am just totally missing the point of this whole thing because I keep hearing the same answer over and over. It still isn't making any sense to me.

BTW, yes, I am retarded.
Out of all the people in this thread, it odd that nobody understand this. I think I know why Fly doesn't. Just because you are putting the mark on the pulley, doesn't mean you are CHANGING the timing. Think of it better as "standardizing". You are placing the mark on the pulley to indicate TDC for the #1 piston.

Simply, the mark you are putting on isn't changing the timing. It's setting up the basis for the stock timing. When you go to a shop and get on a dyno, the shop will retard/advance the cam gear Xdegrees BTDC/ATDC. Setting the notch in the pulley just let's them know where TDC is to begin with. There is a relationship between the crank pulley and the cam gear that nobody has talked about yet in this thread, and it may be why you don't understand.
Old 02-18-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Wow now I'm really lost. So to have the pulley installed properly, it has to be tuned? So you put a mark on the pulley that matches the mark on the timing cover when the piston is up. Then a shop does something? So the pulley won't work until it's tuned?

What needs to be done during the install? And where's the smiley with ?? above his head, cause that's me right now.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

Civictuner04 is an unknown quantity at this point
When u install ur pulley, rotate the crank till the #1 piston(the one closest to the pulley or on the right side looking at the engine from the front) is all the way at the top. Then u make a mark on the pulley at the place where the mark on the timing cover is. That is it.

What boosted Boosted2k2 is saying is that putting the mark on ur pulley allows anyone who trys to tune it know where the pistons r at any given time allowing them to adjust varioius other parts of the engine to maximize performance. You dont need to tune ur car at all to get the pulley to work. All tuning allows u to do is to get the most out of the pulley.

I hope that clarifies some things.
Old 02-18-2004

Originally posted by Boosted2k2
Out of all the people in this thread, it odd that nobody understand this. I think I know why Fly doesn't. Just because you are putting the mark on the pulley, doesn't mean you are CHANGING the timing. Think of it better as "standardizing". You are placing the mark on the pulley to indicate TDC for the #1 piston.

Simply, the mark you are putting on isn't changing the timing. It's setting up the basis for the stock timing. When you go to a shop and get on a dyno, the shop will retard/advance the cam gear Xdegrees BTDC/ATDC. Setting the notch in the pulley just let's them know where TDC is to begin with. There is a relationship between the crank pulley and the cam gear that nobody has talked about yet in this thread, and it may be why you don't understand.
OK, now that fvcking made some sense to me. Not a whole lot, but more sense than what Josh is saying. I'm still clueless about what you are saying josh.

Josh, you said you had 2 D17's at your shop in another thread. Give us a pic!!!!
Old 02-18-2004

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by gearbox
Wow now I'm really lost. So to have the pulley installed properly, it has to be tuned? So you put a mark on the pulley that matches the mark on the timing cover when the piston is up. Then a shop does something? So the pulley won't work until it's tuned?

What needs to be done during the install? And where's the smiley with ?? above his head, cause that's me right now.
Same as civictuner04 just said. You don't need to have it tuned at all. But say someday, you decide to have the valve timing tuned... that notch would have to be in the correct place. As is, the pulley is doing it's job there with or without a notch. It could be in any position you please. But the only time the notch matters, is if you are going to go tune something (ie: valve timing, valve clearance, etc etc.). It would apply for ignition timing as well, except we have a DIS ignition.

Last edited by Boosted2k2; 02-18-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2004

So we can just slap it on and it wont screw up the engine if we don't worry about this timing crap? My shop can figure it out once i get it in there to dyno tune the VAFC II, etc.

Quick Reply: DH-Racing Pulley Has Arrived!!