Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

My problem(s) with AEM...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
My problem(s) with AEM...

I used to love the company. I had one great product from them. A CAI for my 95 NT eclipse. My frind bought one for his car (95 NT). It fit like crap even though mine was fine, and the filter was MISSING altogether.

A member on this site, who I will keep anonymous, installed an AIM CAI on his K20 (not swap). Fitment was "ok" but there was about 4+ hours of labor put into it just to fit.

I install bolt-on parts on a weekly basis (for other cars). I just did one to the EVO 8 I've been working on. Fitment is horrible. BOV doesn't sit flush. And 2 HOSES were not the correct diameter. They needed severe stretcheing (injured hand geting hose over the air filter). The stress put un the flat part of the filtet to get the hose over the lip severely kinked the filter element. The element also came in shipped (brand new mind you) already damaged
from the box.

I was upset with the very poor fitment with the product and will be using Injen for my next CAI install on an 03 GT-S Eclipse.

I bought a K&N FIPK2 for my Civic before I turbo'd. Quality was amazing. Looked as if it were meant to be there, installed perfectly and everything was tight, and stayed tight.

My friend bought a FIPK for his 97 Eclipse GSX. Fitment was perfect and very simple to do.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed similar problems. Is Injen like this? If it is I'll stick with K&N and HKS/Greddy for the powerful cars. Let me know your experiences. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2003
Registered!!

Silversleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had one of my best friends fall victim to one of AEM's design flaws. He has a 99 Integra LS. He too bought an AEM CAI with bypass. The bypass was on the upper pipe, obviously between the transmission mount end and the throttle body end. Now, you know how an engine rocks back when you hit the gas? Well, in my friends case, everytime he hit the gas, the engine rocked back, along with it the throttle body and CAI upper pipe. Note that the other end of that pipe is stationary due to the transmission mount. And the bypass valve in the middle. The rock back cause the pipe to pull the intake back, thus breaking the bypass valve. Eventually a couple pieces of plastic got sucked into the throttle body, causing his engine to rev on its own. Almost caused him to crash into a fence off the road.
Old 11-23-2003
Registered!!

prawdigy is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed a CAI for a rsx.. took a long time.. cuz of the craptacular instructions and the re-wiring and relocation of the washer bottle.. and also did a CAI for a 96 integ.. fit perfectly. AEM is a good company.. but some of their products arent worth the time and money.
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
well, you said the first AEM you did was fine also, so you can't do one K&N and compare all the work. I didn't have a single problem with mine
Old 11-24-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Silversleeper
Eventually a couple pieces of plastic got sucked into the throttle body, causing his engine to rev on its own.

That is NOT cool!

My K&N FIPK II fit perfectly. I give them an A+ on construction.
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like my ebay intake, but it does fit fairly well. and it only cost me $40
Old 11-24-2003
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
my aem cai fit perfectly on the civic
and the aem v2 also fit perfectly on the rsx
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

eviLsliDinciVic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the 03' Sedan and bought the AEM CAI without the bypass..but I had some problems basically the filter came off 2 times and finally bought a urethane filter for it..The molding where the clamp goes is so flexible and doesn't hold not sure if it's the heat coming off my tranny or what the prob was but after I bought the urethane filter no other problems..The clamp would just cut right into it..piece of crap filter..
Old 11-24-2003
Premium Boosted Member

So I guess I'm not the only one. And I did 2 K&N installes so far not one. Both were FLAWLESS.
Old 11-24-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
I never had problem with injen intakes. Fits perfect. No parts missing.
Old 11-24-2003
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
I recently installed my AEM CAI...dang thing fit like a glove! Didn't have ANY problems with it, polish was glossy, nothing was scratched/dented/bent. I'm happy with my results, sorry to hear you didn't have the same luck.
Old 11-24-2003
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally posted by FattyMcJ
I recently installed my AEM CAI...dang thing fit like a glove! Didn't have ANY problems with it, polish was glossy, nothing was scratched/dented/bent. I'm happy with my results, sorry to hear you didn't have the same luck.
yup same story here.
Old 11-24-2003
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
Yes I switched from AEM CAI to the K & N FIPK II about a year ago.
I noticed much better improvements with the K & N FIPK II
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

pxboarder is an unknown quantity at this point
My AEM CAI fit perfect in my 03 ex took about 30 min to put in very nice system
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

czechcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I Installed my aem v2 on my 03 and it also fit perfect....
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
I haven't had any intake besides my FIPK II so I don't really have anything to compare it too but I love this intake. It's built strong and sturdy and I've gotten lots of compliments on it from mechanics and body shop guys.
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
I already contributed but I just thought I'd mention again how much the FIPK II rocks!

FIPK II =

And I'm talking performance. I don't give a **** what it looks like or anything. People are all like "ooooh I like my intake it looks so good." Duh. Did you buy your intake for looks? How often do you drive around with the hood open for people to see it? Intakes are for PERFORMANCE (unless you're a ricer, then they're for sound). K&N FIPK II is the best PERFORMING intake out there for our cars at this time.
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Member

^ and not that it matters, but it looks pretty cool, too.

Yeah, it might not be all SHINY, but did you notice that its non-shiny plastic doesn't conduct heat? Yeah, that's right, you can drive for hours and it will still be cool to the touch when you're done.
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Boosted Member

Yes I agree the FIPK is a much better performing intake for our cars. Maybe AEM put the right amount of R&D into the intake for our cars and just not enough into some others, along with quality inspection.

The box was perfect but the filter inside was still damaged. I checked up in the EVO intake, the filter hits the hood, and is slightly more bent now. There's no way to adjust the height of the filter so that was pretty upsetting too.
Old 11-25-2003
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by IronFist
I already contributed but I just thought I'd mention again how much the FIPK II rocks!

FIPK II =

And I'm talking performance. I don't give a **** what it looks like or anything. People are all like "ooooh I like my intake it looks so good." Duh. Did you buy your intake for looks? How often do you drive around with the hood open for people to see it? Intakes are for PERFORMANCE (unless you're a ricer, then they're for sound). K&N FIPK II is the best PERFORMING intake out there for our cars at this time.

LMAO...passionate much?
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by FattyMcJ
LMAO...passionate much?
No, but I hate rice much
Old 11-25-2003
www.AbsouluteDriven.com

obtix is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an Injen CAI on my car the installation was amazing.. My friend (also with a 7th gen) got the AEM SRI and I installed it for him. The AEM was missing a hose and the fitment was awfull, just today he told me that the hole for the O2 sensor has air breathing out of it. I never liked AEM but oh well