Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

ebay intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J-Tizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
An Intake is an intake, the only differance is SRI or CAI, go with that ebay one or a different one. i have a SRI on my 03 from ebay and it works great with great sound. Peace man
Old 11-10-2003
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
I agree....I had a AEM CAI and switching to a short ram ( K & N FIPK II) I noticed more
low end torque and dropped into the 15.7's without N2O.

Not only with the AEM CAI having restictive long piping, it would also get hot
due to radient engine temperature.

The K & N FIPK II would stay cool since it is made out of a thick plastic.
I can make the tires bark in 3 gears.
Old 11-10-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, the FIPK II is by far the best intake for our cars. But there are differences in intakes, especially quality of construction. I don't have one, but from what I've heard the FIPK is made very well, and fits into our cars without much modification. The ebay intake, on the other hand, is made ouf of cheap, thin metal, with a cheap filter, and I had to modify mine to get it to fit properly (its still crooked, but at least its secure)
Old 11-10-2003
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Any one have HP#'s on the AEM CAI?
Old 11-10-2003
Banned

DhRacingJosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by fine02civicgurl
i bought that one i asked about... today. $42 plus shipping
Cheaper is better with intakes. 90% of intakes are made from the same material, same design, and same filters just shaped differently. The intake is not where you are going to get power, it's with a larger throttle body and custom intake manifold where you will see 30+ at the wheels. Then moving on to a ported head which proves to bring the same amount of power. With this setup right here we have gotten low 14's on street tires.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
I dunno about ya'll, but I bought this generic (probably ebay) intake off a member from this site. When I installed it nothing was wrong (no mods needed) and works fine today still. Intake is intake...probably the filter is what matters the most. And of course if you want power gains then do some serious engine work.

Old 11-10-2003
Bodacious Member

hey 7thgencivic, did you paint your valve cover (and battery cover, and fuse box cover)? Im thinkin about that, but how hard is it to mask over the letters?
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

Re: ebay intake

Originally posted by fine02civicgurl
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438912711

this may have been posted, but i was wondering if this is a piece of crap or something. because most intakes dont fit all models. anyway, just wondering what you all thought about. it looks kind of funny
Not a piece of crap by any means. SSSAuto is my close friends and they don't produce junk. There will be some mods like he said, but the ram air effect is the most efficient and powerful way to bring air to the motor with little modifications. Intakes are just for sounds and a little more airflow, you need to go for the real work if you want power otherwise just get it to have it and hear it.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
Originally posted by jwalker87
hey 7thgencivic, did you paint your valve cover (and battery cover, and fuse box cover)? Im thinkin about that, but how hard is it to mask over the letters?
My little secret...just paint the valve cover the color you want, then color in the letters with a perminant marker. Works great! no fading/peeling, etc. And forget about using touch up paint like the other members say. poopy
Old 11-11-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Alright guys, no offence, but I don't see how you can say "an intake is an intake" when you have the following factors:

Tube material (plastic vs. metal)
Tube shape
Tube diameter
Tube length
and that's not even including filter design/size/type/etc.

I would like to think that people with knowledge of fluid dynamics put a little bit of effort into these designs so we're getting more than a "filter on a stick."

I mean, I'm sure there are some crappy companies out there who don't research anything and just make crap, but still. I doubt they're all the same.
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

Originally posted by IronFist
Alright guys, no offence, but I don't see how you can say "an intake is an intake" when you have the following factors:

Tube material (plastic vs. metal)
Tube shape
Tube diameter
Tube length
and that's not even including filter design/size/type/etc.

I would like to think that people with knowledge of fluid dynamics put a little bit of effort into these designs so we're getting more than a "filter on a stick."

I mean, I'm sure there are some crappy companies out there who don't research anything and just make crap, but still. I doubt they're all the same.
An intake is an intake because you cant create more CFM without more vacuum through a chamber. If there is a huger opening with small runners, and small ports what purpose does it serve. Do you know that to this date that an intake on a high HP motor has not made more then 2-4 HP, so on a stock motor what are you going to gain 1 HP. Yes as to me when you get an intake it is for sound, if you want to go fast and see numbers, then you need more CFM created by large plenums, big bore throttle bodies, high flowing port work in a cylinder, head, and compression. A motors is made up of airflow and fuel and compression. They may have spent hours on these intakes, but hours spent are hours wasted, because either you have a 2 HP gain or you have RAM AIR intake which is the most power you will see on a stock motor. What is the point on spending money on a AEM V2 for $200+ FOR WHAT!?!?!? 3 HP WOW. These intakes are junk. I have a Open Pipe Short Ram On My Civic and that's the best for any all motor setup. I bet there was hours put into Individual Throttle Bodies but they don't make near the power a Single Throttle Body setup makes. When installed on any motor you will lose 200+ CFM instantly. I am not some young kid with no knowledge I do this for a living and we have the most powerful setups on the planet, world records, fastest street Hondas in the world, and soon to take back the all motor world record with our 350 HP All Motor car. We know what makes power, the intake is just for sound and maybe 5 HP on a HIGH HP Motor.
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

No offense intended, just stating that intakes are not power gainers they are proven to make SOUND, and 2 HP at the wheels. Power lies in built motors and larger flow not in intakes.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

IRONMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
^^well said
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

<b>Anyone who want's to go fast should have done their research, and if they don't know where real power comes from then they are one rip off waiting to happen. I strongly urge all enthusiasts out there to do their homework, and trust is those who take time to write your emails back and show you they care, rather then being out for the money. I see a lot of kids on here just waiting to get screwed.</b>
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

Forgot how they have this site setup hehe.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Re: Re: ebay intake

Originally posted by DhRacingJosh
Not a piece of crap by any means. SSSAuto is my close friends and they don't produce junk. There will be some mods like he said, but the ram air effect is the most efficient and powerful way to bring air to the motor with little modifications. Intakes are just for sounds and a little more airflow, you need to go for the real work if you want power otherwise just get it to have it and hear it.
I disagree, i have watched SSAuto's products for the past couple of years. All they sell are generic stuff. They buy their stuff from other people and sell it. Its not like they producy ANYTHING.
Old 11-11-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
DhRacingJosh has the same arrogant attitude that I have when I get into a discussion about a topic in which I am knowledgable.

Do you know that to this date that an intake on a high HP motor has not made more then 2-4 HP,
Didn't an AEM intake dyno at like +18 or 20 hp on a RSX-S?
Old 11-11-2003
Bodacious Member

thats what AEM claims...
Old 11-11-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
DhRacingJosh has the same arrogant attitude that I have when I get into a discussion about a topic in which I am knowledgable.

and what are you knowledgeable in?
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

ccajun4real is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by DhRacingJosh
An intake is an intake because you cant create more CFM without more vacuum through a chamber. If there is a huger opening with small runners, and small ports what purpose does it serve. Do you know that to this date that an intake on a high HP motor has not made more then 2-4 HP,

This is not even close to true. The vararam intake on the C5 Corvette typically shows gains of 12-22 rear wheel horsepower. Mine gained 18rwhp and 20rwtq with the vararam. It is true that you need a larger intake and throttle body to take max advantage of the extra air. You also need some type of custom tuning, but you can see good gains from a CAI if the application and construction are good quality.
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

That's a false dyno which has never been seen, there is no way a intake is going to produce 18+ HP, the record to date is 2 HP at the wheels by the ICEMAN intake. I have dyno'd all of them and like I said they aren't power gainers, they are for sound. We got 29 at the wheels on a ported intake manifold (Stock), and billet throttle body, if an intake can do more then 1/2 that I would pay $300 for it, but It's Not True.

I disagree, i have watched SSAuto's products for the past couple of years. All they sell are generic stuff. They buy their stuff from other people and sell it. Its not like they producy ANYTHING.
They do, but they also weld up some of the headers they do like the new ones they are coming out with which have bigger collectors, ect... I was just saying that the stuff they produce may be cop offs, but it doesn't fall apart, and that ram air intake is the most straight forward charge you can get from an intake.

I'm not on here to be arrogant, but I just don't take well when people come on here claiming that there is some huge design in Intakes, no one knows that almost every design follows the same thing. There is maybe 3 different blueprints out there. Also Cold-Airs while everyone believes them to make more power, they don't. The piping is too long and causes restrictions for airflow. Even RSX's don't create enough vacuum for it to be beneficial. I'm just trying to help those who don't know because while I am on the forums, I do this on a daily basis, building motors, porting heads with Dave Hickman, and test and tuning all the time. I also am around all the pro-drag Import leaders out there Stephen Papadakis, Leslie Durst. Most are friends of ours, and with us leading the streets being we can make over 200 wheel HP on SOHC Motors (All-Motor), and 350 to the ground on our GSR, 300 on our LS-Vtec (Both All-Motor) we are ahead of the game. No boasting here, just like to put my insight in and help out.
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

Originally posted by ccajun4real

This is not even close to true. The vararam intake on the C5 Corvette typically shows gains of 12-22 rear wheel horsepower. Mine gained 18rwhp and 20rwtq with the vararam. It is true that you need a larger intake and throttle body to take max advantage of the extra air. You also need some type of custom tuning, but you can see good gains from a CAI if the application and construction are good quality.
Come on man you are talking about a V-8 REAR WHEEL DRIVE Powerplant which doubles most of the wheel HP a HONDA Puts out, not to mention rear wheel motors retain HP through the drivetrain better then Front wheel Drive Of course you got 18 HP, it's a V-8, especially when talking about cold ram air. Ram air like I said makes about 5 at the wheels maybe 6, so sure with twice the displacement, and twice the HP what would that be equivilent to. Your also talking about bigger throttle bodies I am talking about stock intake charge, stock throttle body diameter, and a cheap intake. You can relate your C5 to a Honda, but only to those who know the %%% for drivetrain loss from FWD to a RWD Vehicle. Also for those who know about displacement, and mass of a motor compared to a Honda. I don't see where you got I was saying intakes don't work on any vehicle. I was merely speaking of a 4 cylinder Honda, not a Dual Cylinder Head Corvette. Doesn't really make sense to compare the two. Show me where a intake has made anywhere over 10 at the wheels on a Honda (STOCK MOTOR) and then we will see how real it is. Thanks for the challenge though I like doing formula conversions from big block V-8 to a 4 Cylinder Engine.
Old 11-11-2003
Bodacious Member

i believe you just got owned
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

The statement was made that the gains have not been seen on a high HP motor. To me that means any motor that has high HP, I guess it was my mistake. So how much does it cost to port the throttle body on a civic? Let me know, may be interested. Thanks for the education there bro

Cajun
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

The statement was made that the gains have not been seen on a high HP motor. To me that means any motor that has high HP, I guess it was my mistake. So how much does it cost to port the throttle body on a civic? Let me know, may be interested. Thanks for the education there bro

Cajun
No biggie, it's just sharing thoughts. If you want to port your stock throttle body it would be $150, but I would suggest just the billet throttle body and some manifold work, could see as much as 40 HP combined. Let me know if you would be interested, and which civic are you speaking of?
Old 11-11-2003
Bodacious Member

how much is the billet TB and manifold work?
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

no1superspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
hey, I have it in my car, and it runs great. I don't know why people having negative opinions on it, but I personally think it's good for that price. the only one thing is to take a while to install it.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

I just got a 02 civic ex and definitely have to have some more HP. Let me ask you this.............The VTEC in my S kicks *** when it comes in, why does the VTEC in the automatic EX suck so bad. I dont even feel the thing kick up even at WOT? More education needed?........
Old 11-11-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
I just got a 02 civic ex and definitely have to have some more HP. Let me ask you this.............The VTEC in my S kicks *** when it comes in, why does the VTEC in the automatic EX suck so bad. I dont even feel the thing kick up even at WOT? More education needed?........
SOHC VTEC < DOHC VTEC

SOHC VTEC is weak. not for performance at all..

i take that back. provides a little bit of better performance, but its mainly for fuel economy.

edit: unless your Dave Hickman or work for him.

Last edited by cambo; 11-12-2003 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2003
Banned

Originally posted by cambo
SOHC VTEC < DOHC VTEC

SOHC VTEC is weak. not for performance at all..

i take that back. provides a little bit of better performance, but its mainly for fuel economy.

Wow Wow Wow I take offense to that. I have an all motor SOHC Vtec. 12.9 on the motor and 11.7 on a 50 shot. But hey to most people they are junk, and here are things you are missing. One you have an AUTO which isn't going to engage Vtec as hard because with SOHC Motors you feel and hear the Vtec at peak power band high RPM. Another thing is your cam. Auto Cams don't have big grinds, if you want to feel and hear the Vtec you are better to get a bigger grind to where the Vtec will come on with a bang. Next you need more airflow ($750 For The Custom Manifold and Billet Throttle Body By The Way) a custom manifold comb and ported head combined with a cam would show you what a Vtec really sounds like. Putting SOHC Vtec against DOHC I-Vtec is hardly anything to compare. He is right when he says "SOHC VTEC IS NOT FOR PERFORMANCE" because while off the factory they are a very impressive 4 Cylinder Stock they don't compare to a RSX Type-S Which like the Integra Type-R comes pre-built from the factory, and has high compression pistons, pre-ported head, nice manifold and throttle body, so you really can't compare it to the bleak build up of the SOHC Vtec from the factory.

Quick Reply: ebay intake