Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Yellow Top Optima Concern need help....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
thats cool to see a blue-top optima battery in a car. but i'm going to just stick with the yellow-top cause i'm just looking for a good car battery thats going to act like any ole battery, except it's a WICKEDLY strongass battery! LOL. all i'm hoping is that the yellow-top is NOT only good for the stereo or the electronicle part. but to ALSO be a good battery for starting the car. i mean, the yellow-top IS more expensive than any of the others right? not by much but i think it's the most pricey colored-top battery that optima has. 170 dollars seems like a bitch to let go JUST for a battery but it's all worth it cause the (CIVIC) deserves everything GOOD!

i went to pepboys on my luch hour today from work and found nothing of the group 51 size that i needed. looks like my next stop is either autozone or napa. i'll try autozone first. i like them.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

mndthegap1 has a spectacular aura aboutmndthegap1 has a spectacular aura about
you might have a hard time finding the group 51 optima but a hold on them till june they arent shipping any more till then they are redesigning it from what i was told.
ebay has a few though...
Old 03-16-2006
Registered!!

HonCivX02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Johnold
thats cool to see a blue-top optima battery in a car. but i'm going to just stick with the yellow-top cause i'm just looking for a good car battery thats going to act like any ole battery, except it's a WICKEDLY strongass battery! LOL. all i'm hoping is that the yellow-top is NOT only good for the stereo or the electronicle part. but to ALSO be a good battery for starting the car. i mean, the yellow-top IS more expensive than any of the others right? not by much but i think it's the most pricey colored-top battery that optima has. 170 dollars seems like a bitch to let go JUST for a battery but it's all worth it cause the (CIVIC) deserves everything GOOD!

i went to pepboys on my luch hour today from work and found nothing of the group 51 size that i needed. looks like my next stop is either autozone or napa. i'll try autozone first. i like them.
The blue top is the most expensive usually, and is stronger in theory. Yellow top is the cheapest. Audio placed ususally sell them for less then autozone stores
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

krill328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well it is really hard to find the 51. So to put in a normal size red top optima correct me if Im wrong.

I need to remove the bottom battery tray. How many bolts?
Bend the battery tie down bar? Could I use some kind of strap instead?
Anything else Im missing?
If anyone has pics or if they can list exactly what to do with how many bolts that would be greatly appreciated. Not very good at doing car stuff.
Old 03-17-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the tray just lifts out
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

^what he said lol
Old 03-18-2006
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
so there aren't really many places that carry the group 51 yellow top right? cause i've been looking around and can't find any. am i most likely going to have a retail auto place pre-order the battery? i went to this place called "batteries plus" here in town and even THEY didn't have it LOL. a store all about batteries. but they said they could order it for me for about 155 dollars and will take about 5 days. i guess the price isn't bad right?. and whats up with the "new design"? i haven't heard anything about optima re-designing their batteries at all. why mess up something thats already perfect?
Old 03-18-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i got mine for $125 local at farm and fleet here.
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

CustomXSpunjah is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HonCivX02
Blue tops work fine in cars too.... A lot of people run blue tops. You have to put some sort of clamp on the other outputs but it still runs perfectly. They are NOT just for marine vehicles.

And im not going to wait for someone to tell me that you cant lol. Heres some proof. This is a 1994 Honda Accord that was in a magazine (so sorry about the quality of the pic) But its pretty easy to put in, fit might be tight. No power related problems at all. Mines on the way lol. Ill let ya know how easy it is to put in once i get it in.
thats from Performance Auto and Sound i believe, the blue top will work for cars but its just not "made" for that application. He just used the blue-top to match the blue color scheme
Old 03-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CustomXSpunjah
thats from Performance Auto and Sound i believe, the blue top will work for cars but its just not "made" for that application. He just used the blue-top to match the blue color scheme
Correct! Vol 7 IS 7. Anyways the reason i posted that was because people were saying you cant put a blue top in a car. Its advertised mostly as a Marine battery but it still has no component problems with a car.
Old 03-25-2006
Registered!!

still a waste of money though, there are better batteries out there for the same price
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

^such as? Optima has been tested as the best. By far exceeding all other batterys to my knowledge.
Old 04-02-2006
Registered!!

^for the price of a blue top you can get a nice battery with wayy better cca's... im just sayin buy the Yellow Top to get the most bang for ur buck
Old 04-03-2006
Registered!!

mndthegap1 has a spectacular aura aboutmndthegap1 has a spectacular aura about
i just got the d51 brand new from ebay for 131 shipped.
Old 04-10-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CustomXSpunjah
^for the price of a blue top you can get a nice battery with wayy better cca's... im just sayin buy the Yellow Top to get the most bang for ur buck
called around. Ill stick with blue top
Old 04-10-2006
Registered!!

cj2185 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive had my stock battery for around 4 years now, but def. gettin those yellow tops when it goes.
Old 05-10-2006
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
recharged my stock and finally died again, yellow here i come
Old 05-10-2006
Registered!!

BERGER will become famous soon enoughBERGER will become famous soon enough
i got my yellow top a few weeks ago.. a full size one too.. just need to remove the stock battery tray and it'll fit perfectly.
Old 05-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
I bought a yellow top as well when my stock battery died last summer. So my stock one lasted about 4 years. My yellow top is very good. I don't drive my car often and it still cranks up after sitting for months. I would definitly recommend it, if you dont mind shelling out a lil more cash.
Old 05-14-2006
Premium Member

wow my stock barely lasted 2 yrs.