HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

post your headlights!

Old 12-02-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: post your headlights!

Originally Posted by canadiankid
. It was super cheap, only cost me 25 bucks in supplies and a pizza for my friends who helped out.
whatttttttttt? no beeeeeeeeer??!?!!

haha they look good tho.
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
canadiankid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
whatttttttttt? no beeeeeeeeer??!?!!

haha they look good tho.

nah man no beer haha. but thanks man. i really proud of my first little project on my car.
Old 12-02-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

cheapest hids ever is to get the morimoto mini pnp projector and stuff it in your oem reflector (no cutting or modding needed, it screws into the H4 hole). they cost around $120 for a pair, then you just need bulbs and ballasts. you can have a fully functioning and very nice retrofit the proper way for around $200-250 easy. not to mention, they are bixenon so you get lo and hi beam in the same unit with the same bulb. only the shield moves down to expose all the light for hi beam.
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Wow, this is the great HID thread : ) After reading the posts, I want HID kit badly, ei ei,but retrofitting will take quite sometime to do it. I need to do more research about them a bit.

Usually, Could anyone here give me the explanation between the D2S and H1? Which one that you are using right now.

BTW, today one chevy truck almost blind my eyes with its freakin' headlight. I think they uses highbeam or something because even I was far away from that truck the light still got into my eyes.
Old 12-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I really hate when lifted trucks put PnP HID kits into their reflector housings.. It's freakin terrible.

The difference between H1 and D2s is much like the difference between an H4 bulb to say, a 9006 bulb (disregard the fact that an H4 is a hi/lo bulb and a 9006 is a single filament bulb). Its more-or-less a different bulb size. D2S is an OEM HID bulb size, and H1 is a halogen size. The Morimoto Minis have a version that accepts an H1 HID bulb

p.s. I'm sure there are more major differences (i.e. light production quality, etc) but I don't know them off the top of my head. I'm sure gearbox know though.. lol

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 12-02-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^correct.

D2s or H1 are just different types of bulbs...by types i mean "socket size"

D2s, D2r, H1, H4, H7, HB4, 9005, 9006, 168....are all the different sizes.

/////edit

also, any D series bulb are OEM hids. (d1s, d2s, d4s, d1r, d2r, d4r)

second number is the generation. third letter indicates either its for a Shielded or Refraction application.

Shielded = projectors, Refraction = reflector

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 12-02-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the mini h1 is much better in terms of light output, but you are stuck using aftermarket h1 hid bulb. the d2s version is dimmer but you can use oem bulbs. both are bixenon (lo and hi beam in same unit).
Old 12-03-2010

Originally Posted by gearbox
the mini h1 is much better in terms of light output, but you are stuck using aftermarket h1 hid bulb. the d2s version is dimmer but you can use oem bulbs. both are bixenon (lo and hi beam in same unit).
have u had any experience with the morimoto yourself gear? im rreally thinking of buying them justs to compare the output
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

+1 I'm going to buy the morimoto set- up after christmas/tuition but it would nice to hear more about it
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member

no personal experience but you can look at the comparo pics and judge yourself. its on par with most of the hi end projectors.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-TL-E55-FX-etc
Old 12-03-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware of the height difference issues. But if that's the case it should be made illegal for trucks to have them... It's more of a complaint than anything, oh well. HIDs do look very nice though I like everyones on here.
Old 12-03-2010

no personal experience but you can look at the comparo pics and judge yourself. its on par with most of the hi end projectors.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-TL-E55-FX-etc
thank to you i just bought a pair.

now i have an extra pair of FX45 projectors lying around.

i think my laziness of aiming them got to me...
Old 12-03-2010

expect a DIY thread next week.
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

A friend of mine on another forum just spoke to TRS and they are willing to charge between $200-250 a kit shipped to Canada depending on our border duties if we can get 10 people. Anyone interested please let me know.

It would be great if we could make a group buy happen on this forum or my other one.
Old 12-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Man.. the LS430 projectors are ridiculous. By comparison, the TSX projectors are terrible.. hahaha.. Oh well. Like I said, it illuminates plenty and is still 129034879283471827634x better than my halogen projector bastardization I had goin on.
Old 12-03-2010

Originally Posted by MindBomber
A friend of mine on another forum just spoke to TRS and they are willing to charge between $200-250 a kit shipped to Canada depending on our border duties if we can get 10 people. Anyone interested please let me know.

It would be great if we could make a group buy happen on this forum or my other one.

the kit is 120.
comes with shroud and everything.

all u need is ballast/bulb

or u can buy the kit with the high quality morimoto bulbs+projector $145

and then buy DDM 35w ballast bulb for 25 bucks (lifetime warrenty)
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

so for about 150, u can get a full kit. lol.

or 175 for the projectors + morimoto bulbs + ballast (you'll have an extra pair of bulbs)

reason why TRS says ddm will void warrenty is because they are in direct comeptition with DDM... so they play dirty... but that just business. lol

ddm hids are perfectly fine. ive ran em in my cars, motorcycles and boats for the last 4 years. no problem.

its either they work or they dont....and if they dont, the lifetime warrenty takes care of it. lol

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 12-03-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2010

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Man.. the LS430 projectors are ridiculous. By comparison, the TSX projectors are terrible.. hahaha.. Oh well. Like I said, it illuminates plenty and is still 129034879283471827634x better than my halogen projector bastardization I had goin on.
did u know, in japan, the LS430 projector is bixenon? US market only gets single xenon.

btw, the 430 + 55w bulb......THATS ridiculous.
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I was originally planning on going with the cheap DDM kit, but theres the sterotype that goes along with cheap components..

I'm really curious to see the results you get with a DDM ballasts and morimoto projectors. Please post pics as soon as you can, and if you don't mind I'd like to repost them on my local forum planning the group buy with the complete kit.
Old 12-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I'm rockin the DDM d2s 55w slim kit in my tsx retro. performs nicely
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Now I don't know what to do..

$200 for complete morimoto or $175 for DDM/morimoto.
Old 12-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I wanna do a morimoto retro in my sister's 2010 fit, and I'm prolly gonna go the ddm route.. Then again, I still have my old xtec kit and lla few sets of h1 bulbs
Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Hi guy i have been a long time reader of this forum and i have been reading this site so long now i feel i know a couple of you guy(well like a xbox live friend or something). But anyway i have a 5000k 35w from ddmtuning.com which i got the info from one of riceboys or gearboxs post cant remember and i am very interested in doing this but what is the best place to buy these from. thanks for the info and help oh and i have a 03 civic ex sedan.
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member

www.theretrofitsource.com has everything you need. and www.hidplanet.com has the info and pics if you need to do research.

the only reason TRS is voiding warranty if using ddm bulbs is due to many user complaints stating that ddm bulbs caused shroud melting. this started happening recently and to protect himself, Matt does not allow ddm bulb to be used if you want the warranty (he did still provide free new parts to the customers who caused damage with ddm bulbs, to be fair).
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member

how did you like the IS250 output haha

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Old 12-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Gave me a good laugh.. haha. even moreso because my little brother's been having issues with his OEM HIDs. The dealership kept replacing the bulbs until my dad had me go and tell them it was a ballast issue.
Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Thanks gearbox for the answer now iam about to place a order and buy a h1 4300k buld but does anyone know if need a new ballast or can i use the ddm one form the h4 i think it was or the plugs different sorry for my ignorance but tried to search for it and did not find anything.

forget it reread the the post and speedy pretty much answered my question thanks

Last edited by SpeedDownZone; 12-03-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2010

www.theretrofitsource.com has everything you need. and www.hidplanet.com has the info and pics if you need to do research.

the only reason TRS is voiding warranty if using ddm bulbs is due to many user complaints stating that ddm bulbs caused shroud melting. this started happening recently and to protect himself, Matt does not allow ddm bulb to be used if you want the warranty (he did still provide free new parts to the customers who caused damage with ddm bulbs, to be fair).
correct. thats why i opt to buy the morimoto H1 bulbs along with the morimoto projectors.

good quality bulb + good quality projector....

as for teh ballast, it either it works or it doesnt. if it doesnt, lifetime warrenty takes care of that. ddm has been serving my bikes (and all my friends) and car for a long time.

hell, im still rocking the 50w ballast i bought from you gear!
Old 12-03-2010

i had a friend do s retrofit with the is250. output sucked compared to my tsx. he was pretty mad. lol

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
Thanks gearbox for the answer now iam about to place a order and buy a h1 4300k buld but does anyone know if need a new ballast or can i use the ddm one form the h4 i think it was or the plugs different sorry for my ignorance but tried to search for it and did not find anything.

forget it reread the the post and speedy pretty much answered my question thanks

remember to get the morimoto projector + the morimoto h1 bulb. should come out to be about 145.

id trust the morimoto H1 bulb more than i do the ddm H1
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member

haha you still have the "yourhid" ballasts? those were the bomb, way back when china actually made decent quality stuff unlike today. i think those cost around $150 at the time but i put a year on them and never had a problem. i wouldve kept em but 50w just too much for me.

and yeah if you get h1 morimoto projector and bulb, most aftermarket ballast will work so long as they have the standard AMP connectors (most do). if you really want the best quality, get the philips rebased h1 bulbs. its not real philips bulb, but the capsule is real philips put onto a different h1 base. will last longer and prolly be brighter than the mori h1 bulb. but mori bulb is still pretty good quality.

Last edited by gearbox; 12-03-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2010

yes man, the "yourhid" rock. they are solid and light up every time. rain, snow.....whatever.

i play on putting the morimoto H1 bulbs on the 50w ballast i got from you gearbox.

but sheesh, 90$ for philips... ill pass. lol

Search this Thread