West Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

3 tickets in less than 6 hours

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Essa is an unknown quantity at this point
3 tickets in less than 6 hours

Hey guys, I probably should have posted this in the General Rambling, therefore please don't flame me.
Yesterday, out of the blue, me and my wife decided to go to LA to visit my sister. We left around 5 pm.
First, I got pulled over in Phoenix for doing 70 mph in a 55 mph speed limit.
Then I got pulled over again near Cabazon for doing 85 mph in a 60 mph speed limit. I supposed, I should be greatfull that he didn't catch me while I was doing 100 mph or over. Anyway, this time he didn't just give me a ticket for speeding, he also gave me a ticket for having modified exhaust [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
I didn't know that having modified exhaust is illegal in California.
Oh well, I'm so **** [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
So next time if any of you guys is going to LA...be very careful
Old 06-21-2002
The Righteous

RBABE is an unknown quantity at this point
Essa, I'M SOO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] I think that about sums up your feelings as well as mine and your wife's!!! RIGHT? Yeah, Cali is strict as hell about their exhaust laws!!! Make sure you take traffic school for atleast one of them, unfortunately, I think you are only allowed to take traffic school once every six months or so! By taking traffic school if after you fight it and the charges are not dropped, your insurance premiums will not go up and you will have no points added to your driving record!!! That bites, you and your wife decided on the spur of the moment to go enjoy yourselves on the road and in Cali and all this shiizznick happens? Again, I'm so sorry!!! Fight what you can in court and take traffic school for the rest and that will hopefully save you money, points on your record, and insurance premium hikes!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow that really sucks, yeah most 55's here in Phoenix people do 70 I know I do sometimes. Yeah a lot of people have had problems with Cali Exhaust laws. They had a article in the new Sport Compact Car about exhaust Noise Testing in California. Yeah California has a lot of tuff laws on stuff like window tint and some other stuff. With it also being expensive out there, I was pulled over in my new ride in Cali so I have had to deal with them before.

Sorry to hear of your tuff trip to CA, did you take your ride out there? The one that was at the last meet?

Nick
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

AlphaInfinity is an unknown quantity at this point
I personally whould have slowed down after the first ticket hehe. That sucks about the exhaust though.
Old 06-21-2002
7thgens other Official Five O'

AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Too bad Essa...My friend got 6 tickets in a span of 3 days a few weeks ago and most of them because he is moron. 2 of the them were because his registration wasnt current, 1 for not having his DL updated with his current address, 2 for speeding, and another one for no seat belt or something. So, what now? You have to appear for court in Cali?
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

Essa is an unknown quantity at this point
NickDaMans02Civic, yes I took the ride that I brought to our last meeting. I should have listened to my wife in taking her ride instead of mine.
AZ2K1civic, I don't know about the court date. The cop didn't give me any court date. He said, my court date will be send through mail.
RBABE, I'm not sure if I can take a driving school since I took my last driving school like 3 months ago.
My question is, will tickets from other state would earn me some points in my driver license? Would my insurance goes up? I don't know to deal with tickets from other state. Some people said that it would not earn my AZ driver license any points. If I don't earn any points from other state tickets, my insurance wouldn't go up since they don't have any record right.
Anyway, I'll let my wife drive me home tomorrow [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

RevHigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Ouch, got pulled over even before leaving Phx? I think Phoenix freeways are kind of misleading, where they will be 65 in many areas (I believe all of the 101 is and parts of the 51 and I-10) and 55 elsewhere. Too often I'm part of the group brake dancing all over the freeway when the speed limit drops and there's a group of cops on motorcycles waiting to hand out tickets.

As for the modified exhaust - I THINK you should be able to get by, because having a modified exhaust is legal in the state where the vehicle is registered. I'm not sure about this, because I've only had experience with tint issues (because tint on front windows isn't legal in CA, but because the vehicle was registered in a state where it was legal, it is acceptable). Hopefully it is also applicable towards your exhaust, though CA is really stringent on their emissions and what not.
Old 06-22-2002
The Righteous

[hr]Originally posted by: Essa
NickDaMans02Civic, yes I took the ride that I brought to our last meeting. I should have listened to my wife in taking her ride instead of mine.
AZ2K1civic, I don't know about the court date. The cop didn't give me any court date. He said, my court date will be send through mail.
RBABE, I'm not sure if I can take a driving school since I took my last driving school like 3 months ago.
My question is, will tickets from other state would earn me some points in my driver license? Would my insurance goes up? I don't know to deal with tickets from other state. Some people said that it would not earn my AZ driver license any points. If I don't earn any points from other state tickets, my insurance wouldn't go up since they don't have any record right.
Anyway, I'll let my wife drive me home tomorrow [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][hr]
Okay, with your PHX ticket, it will either stick up or drop when you go to court or you will have to pay it via mail. You mos def cannot take traffic school for this one because you took it 3 months ago. You will have one point thrown on your record and that cannot be helped since you cannot take traffic school and they most likely will not drop it because of your past driving history. Although, you never know, they could drop it! I would mos def go to court and fight, maybe you were passing a vehicle or jus coming off of a hill! Would one of those apply to you as a defense? If you were coming off of a hill, they cannot stick that ticket to you!!! If you were maybe passing a vehicle, jus sometimes depending on prosecution and judge, that will be acceptable and they let you off. It really depends on how much of an *** the prosecutiuon is!!! OR, you pay the PHX ticket by mail and let the one point hit your record! You are allowed up to 8 points on you driving record before you can no longer drive. How many points do you have on it now? Your insurance will go up for points on your record, traffic tickets, and accidents whether they are your fault or not! You need to stay clean for 3 years in AZ before insurance in AZ considers you crystal clean!!! Essa, keep your butt crystal clean for three years after the last date of you last ticket and you will have excellent insurance rates with a crystal clean record with them atleast!!! GOOD LUCK, Essa!!!

Now Cali, you can go back and fight it in their courts and take their traffic school if they do not drop it! The speeding ticket that is! NOW, as Joey RevHigh mentioned, the exhaust issue really cannot hold up for you live in a state where it is legal!!! If you don't want the hassle of going back there then you pay the speeding ticket by mail and you will not have points added to your record or insurance premium hikes!!! Again, BEST OF LUCK!!! I KNOW WE ALL ARE WITH YOU!!! But Essa, mos def, SLOW IT DOWN A BIT!!! Or if anything, get yourself a good radar detector so you know when it is safe and not safe to speed a little bit!!! And jus a little bit!!! I think all of us and especially your wife want to keep you around for a little bit!!!
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

02CiViCbOi is an unknown quantity at this point
dayem that suks..i would have stopped speeding after the first ticket..
Old 06-24-2002
The Righteous

Yeah, I would of stopped speeding after the first ticket too. But sometimes your just so bent out of shape that you kinda just keep on wit it! You know? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] I think almost all of us have been there at one point or another!
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
Ouch!! That totally blows!! I know that have your car slammed, so you're lucky you didn't get another ticket for having the center of your headlights less than 22 inches off the ground....
Old 06-29-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Blows donkey.
Old 07-20-2002
Registered!!

Niter1dah is an unknown quantity at this point
To think that the Chips would just leave you alone after they see you have out of state plates. They must have really not liked you to go the extra mile in filling out forms associated with out of state cars.

Didnt know cali had such strict exhaust laws as well as the front window tint. I was going to have both done before my 4 week vacation I just got back from last week. Im sure I would have had some problems and probably will had I not seen this post since im probably moving to cali in the next 8 months or so. Im still going to get my windows tinted but when they mean I cant have it done in the front does that mean i cant have anything there or can I have the tint brought down from the top to a certain length?
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Well, here is what I know of the CVC (or, Calivornia Vehicle Code):

You can't go to traffic school if you have taken it in the last 18 months. That is California specific, tho. If your traffic school was in Az, then you can still do Ca traffic school. You can do it over the net, it takes like 6 hours.

As far as the modded exhaust, just go to court and tell the judge that your car isn't garaged in Cali and therefor does not have to meet the states smog specs. However, if you only have a cat-back, you can offer the judge to take it to any smog station in Cali and have them certify it. Ask if you do that if he, the Judge, will dismiss that ticket.

Your court date is sent to you by mail, you can mail in an argument for your case. If it comes back denied then you can always go to court. That means you will be fighting the same ticket twice. I'd do it that way.
Old 09-07-2002
The Righteous

Essa, how did everthing go??? We have not seen you or heard from you! Everything okay?
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW

since someone mentioned it in the thread earlier...

having out of state plates DOES NOT exempt you from California state law regarding window tint on the front doors.

I cannot qoute that as a definate for other items such as exhuast and etc.... but probably holds true as well.

California makes it very clear that it is not their fault if you are not aware of their motor vehicle laws before entering the state (as they do make them publicly available). This is also a nice way for the state to nickle and dime you to death... something CA is well known for.

Anyhow... it is not uncommon to see CHiP cars sitting 20 miles in from the border watching out of state cars enter and then hitting them with illegal tint tickets and other minor items. It's a quick and easy revenue source, also as is mandated in many other states (not sure about CA), but many State Police officers are supposed to have a certain number of "contacts" per hour (on average). They don't neccesarily have to write a ticket, but they have to have some kind of documented contact with a motorist. In Alabama it's 5 or 6 per hour (average) ~ one stop every 10 minutes supposedly.

ANYHOW ~ on point, California basically says "look motorist, you need to find out what OUR laws are and make sure you conform to them before you come here, if you don't, we'll bust you. If you don't like it, don't come here!"

~~to make the point illustrated, that reasoning could be extended. In MANY states it is NOT illegal to be under the influence of a drug (THC, cocaine, heroine etc)... BUT it IS illegal to be in possession of it... so that really means "if we find you, and you're high but have NO drugs on or within reach of you, you're not breaking the law." ~~~***~~~ NOW, say you're a resident of that state but you go to visit your cousin in say, California... you get all geeked-out on "speed *****", crack, GHB and methamphetamines.... BUT YOU RAN OUT, YOU HAVE NO DRUGS ON YOU, AT ALL!!.... you did them all... you're out face down on the cousins lawn... routine cop patrol drives by, stops, gets you up... you're obviously torqued... you get arrested, go to jail after getting out of the detox at County General..... finally show up for court... you stand in front of the judge and say "But your Honor, there's been a misunderstanding... In the state where I reside... what I did was perfectly legal!" ~~ At which point he laughs in your face and then proceeds to ask you if you were in that state when the cop hauled you in....