1st - 5th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

Tips - 1991 Civic Rear Motor Mount Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jfmac71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tips - 1991 Civic Rear Motor Mount Removal

I just figured out how to change the rear mount. First, remove the heater hoses from the htr core. Remove the cable that control the heater control valve and loosen the fuel filter clamp and move the filter out of the way. No need to remove the fuel lines from the filter. The tricky part if fitting a shallow 14mm swivel socket with an extension. I bought one at Sears for $8.00 and it did the trick. When inserting the socket and extension down by the firewall, it has to be perfectly straight, not at an angle. There is a bracket coming out of the firewall that connects to the fuel line, you dont have to remove it, the extension should fit right underneath it, then fit another extension on to that one and then a loosen with a ratchet and Voila....

There is no need to lower the crossmember as some have suggested. Just a little patience and the right tools.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-30-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added "Tips" to the title
Old 02-22-2011
Registered!!

hellboy51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1991 Civic Rear Motor Mount Removal

awesome intel. i also have a 91 lx and changed the driver's side and front mounts, the rear seemed like a bear to tackle, so i left it for another day(i had little patience after replacing oil pan gasket which led to front mount to side mount to replacing power steering fluid(ended up removing power steering pump).

will handle this weekend.
Old 10-30-2011
Registered!!

pbricmont is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1991 Civic Rear Motor Mount Removal

Any tips on removing the heater core hoses? I got the clamps loose but the hoses won't budge. It's so tight with all the vacuum hoses and cables I can't get a pliers on the heater hoses at the firewall fitting.

Also, can you post a photo or link for the socket you used? I've got a standard 14mm socket and a swivel adapter which is prob too big.

Thanks