Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

Swap info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed3jose is an unknown quantity at this point
Swap info needed

I have a 91 civic I have rod knock so I'll.be needing a swap soon should I get a jdm d15 stage 1 vtec engine or would I get more power from building my block and doing head work chipped ecu and tune need help I'm new to this please no rude comments thanks Honda family
Old 12-24-2015
Registered!!

Kanjozoku is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Swap info needed

New motor, without a doubt, the amount of time and money you will have invested into building your old motor will shoot threw the roof. Consider rod knock, chances are the pistons have damaged the sleeves, then you got the crank, push rod play means now the bearings are probably garbage from off balance. You wouldn't superglue an old band-aid to yourself? Go all new or close too.
Old 12-24-2015
Registered!!

Ed3jose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kanjozoku
New motor, without a doubt, the amount of time and money you will have invested into building your old motor will shoot threw the roof. Consider rod knock, chances are the pistons have damaged the sleeves, then you got the crank, push rod play means now the bearings are probably garbage from off balance. You wouldn't superglue an old band-aid to yourself? Go all new or close too.
Would the jdm d15 stage one vtec be worth putting in my car? Would the power or torque be reasonable?
Old 12-25-2015
Registered!!

Kanjozoku is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ed3jose
Would the jdm d15 stage one vtec be worth putting in my car? Would the power or torque be reasonable?
Yes but are you talking about the ZC block with the DOHC head? *Pardon if you look at this message odd-balled but Besides the ZC/DOHC or ZC/SOHC mix, im not that good with D-Series motors in all honesty, but I can say bang for buck just by default logic I would say yes, better a B-Series motor but if its what you only have available to you, then go for that option because regardless rebuilding a motor with knock even more so a D-Series is just beating up a dead cat... well as far as expenses go, but hey on the other hand if you want a learning experiences, a rebuild where sure teach you some things.
Old 12-25-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Sticky right on the top of the section
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...fications.html
Old 12-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ed3jose
The answer is subjective, I am happy with my D16 in my civic with 106 hp. You are not happy with a D16 and others could have a different opinion.

Establish some guidelines, how much hp do you require? How much do you want to spend? What is your goal for this swap (rally car, DD, auto x, show car)?
Old 12-25-2015
BPL Namdata

Miss EJ6 has a spectacular aura aboutMiss EJ6 has a spectacular aura aboutMiss EJ6 has a spectacular aura about

most often times it depends heavily on the individual them self. building the motor cost time and money depending on what setup you'll like to run. you don't have to to stick to D series engines you can swap to other Honda motors. i personally wouldn't find it worth it unless your getting the motor for extremely cheap or free. In the past d16z6 vtec motors was sold in the streets as much as 350$ in a prime condition/low miles here in NY. But for the same price i was able to get a F22b1 sohc vtec in good/prime condition from the accord which was much bigger 2.2L vs 1.6L.