Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

89 Civic Dx No Start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jpenadela is an unknown quantity at this point
89 Civic Dx No Start!

First off I've never had any problems out of this car it was a 1 owner and he was a old man that kept up with the service of his vehicles. I own it now and she has 180k on the odometer. The other day I was heading to work and it started misfiring really bad and could smell fuel in the cab. I killed it and went about my day. Later when i got it to leave it cranked but was still misfiring so i popped the hood and pulled the furthest right plug wire off and it died instantly not to start again. I've checked fuel pump which is working. Got pressure all the way out the filter housing to the injector. All plugs are sparking. Did replace dizzy cap cause I had broken contacts in it and still nothing. When i pulled each plugs out they were soaked with oil. Never have seen this on anything before. Just had exhaust installed prior to this happening 2.5" from cat back to new muffler and tip. Any input guys on what's going on I'm clueless. Is there a ECM fuse on these models or what cause I'm not seeing one. The road I go down to work every day is a rough cliche road so I'm thinking maybe there's a possibility of something rattling loose...idk
Old 04-20-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 89 Civic Dx No Start!

When was the timing belt done?
Old 04-20-2018
Registered!!

That I couldn't say
Old 04-20-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Might have jumped time! Should be done every 90-100k miles.

I would check the timing, sounds like it might be off.
Old 04-27-2018
Registered!!

Ol Mans 91 LX is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, if you have oil on ALL the plugs, check the spark plug tube seals. Those do go bad & cause the oil soak deal.
Make sure you get a good gasket set & do both of them (Top & bottom) along w/the valve cover gasket, and adjust
the valves while the valve cover is off. Then set the timing at the distributor............
Old 04-27-2018
Registered!!

All new valve cover gaskets and seals. That fixed that. I finally got the ecu to flash a code 15 for ignition so I looked that up and people were saying igniter issue. Put new distributor on and still nothing. Now it's not showing code 15
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Cars in shop now I want gonna throw money at it anymore. Will let yall know the outcome
Old 05-22-2018
Registered!!

Well first shop wasn't any help took it to another that only deals with honda. They said I'm not getting primary injector pulse and had me order another ecu. Put that 1 on and still nothing their at a loss now as well. Said timing looks good and it has a new dizzy. Code 8 still
Old 05-22-2018
Prelude Owner

It was a code 15 before? Code 8 is TDC sensor which is located in the distributor. Was is OEM or reman? Check all the wire's and connectors for the distributor.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...y-fix-3051787/
Old 05-22-2018
Registered!!

Yeah I was getting a code 15 that went away. Still getting the code 8 for tdc. Also dizzy was purchased new from O Riellys. What wiring needs to be checked on the dizzy,I mean you only have your 2 harnesses that come off of it and connect into thier spot off main harness.
Old 05-22-2018
Registered!!

Was getting a code 3 at 1 time as well for MAP. That's now gone. It would run before I put it into the shop the second time but just really crappy like no power and dies instantly when you let off the gas.
Old 05-22-2018
Prelude Owner

Did you read the thread I posted? Yes those 2 connectors.

Some aftermarket ones have the wires wrong and also with it being an older car the wires may have deteriorated.
Old 05-22-2018
Registered!!

The guys at the shop earlier told me they did a ohm test and whatnot everything checked out as it should. Sounds like what that post you tagged was talking about. 2 ecu's and 1 brand new dizzy and same thing I just dunno. Thursday another new dizzy will be here so for ***** and giggles were gonna try that.
Old 05-24-2018
Registered!!

*Update
installed 2nd new dizzy today at the shop still no crank. Did not throw code 8 TDC this time but my code 16 is back. Put noid light on primary injector connector off the main harness and no pulse constant light on.
Old 05-24-2018
Prelude Owner

Code 15 or 16?
15 and 8 were the old ones and now there is a 16?

Code 16 TS guide.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/hy...749a19437e07ee

Does it start and run like before but idle bad and die?
Old 05-24-2018
Registered!!

Yes code 16(injector) will not even start. From what I understand a code 16 wouldn't cause a no start.
Old 05-24-2018
Prelude Owner

According to the flow chart I posted there is a part to follow if the car wont start.

Says to check a few places for resistance and some voltages.
Old 05-24-2018
Registered!!

All that's been done and checks out
Old 05-24-2018
Prelude Owner

I'm all out of ideas then, sorry.