Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 hatch. P0420 code, new cat still bad.... d16y7, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juicenstuff is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 96 hatch. P0420 code, new cat still bad.... d16y7, PLEASE HELP!

My hatch pulled the p0420 threshold code, so bad that it acted as if it was misfiring terribly and go completely dead. Guy at the shop was SURE it was the clogged cat. Purchased brand new cat ($406) same problem. The car dies, and spits when trying to crank back up.. I'm sure the car isn't misfiring because I changed plugs, dizzyCap, and cables less than a year ago. It's been in the shop for a month PLEASE HELP! Thanks for any, and all help!
Old 05-25-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 96 hatch. P0420 code, new cat still bad.... d16y7, PLEASE HELP!

Did the mechanic reset the ECU after cat converter replacement?

Was a dry and wet (with oil) compression test ever performed?
Fuel pressure tested?
Spark tested?
To rule out a cylinder misfire do a power balance (drop test)
How many miles on the o2 sensor?

Just because you changed iginition parts:cap, rotor, plugs, wires doesn't mean it's not misfiring.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-25-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Mechanic is broken.....Replace mechanic?
Old 05-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Guy at the shop was SURE it was the clogged cat.
What about the old cat was failed?
If it broke apart, pieces could still be lodged in the rest of the exhaust causing severe restriction.

Is that the problem? HellifIknow. I'm not the one who can see and test the car.

I'm sure the car isn't misfiring because I changed plugs, dizzyCap, and cables less than a year ago
Anything done last year doesn't mean squat right now.

If the engine runs poorly enough, even a brand new cat can be ruined in less than a minute.
It's been in the shop for a month
Why? WHO is dragging their feet?
PLEASE HELP!
Tow it to someone who can fix cars on purpose? (Replace mechanic)
Old 05-25-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Mechanic is broken.....Replace mechanic?

With all the seemingly half-assed mechanics out there I might as well buy a jumper suit and name tag and start wrenching too..
Old 05-25-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Megalodong

With all the seemingly half-assed mechanics out there I might as well buy a jumper suit and name tag and start wrenching too..
Lawl!

OP, a catalytic converter is a piece of pipe that has a metal waffle/screen in it that converts deadly emissions such as CO to less harm full emissions CO2 (plus other gasses).

They generally do not fail on there own from chemical saturation for years, even a decade, depending on driving habits "... given an "average" life of about 100,000 miles...." http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-...erter-last.htm

However, if your engine is sending far more contaminated gases than usual it can kill the cat., that's why Ezone was asking about the testing.