Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hot, Humid Outside TB Surging Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Hot, Humid Outside TB Surging Again

1995 Civic EX Coupe with B20b swap.

Trying my best to keep this thread short and on point..lol.
Here's my previous thread links concerning this subject:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...alve-tb-s.html Bottom line of that long winded (my fault) thread: Ezone suggest replacing with another throttle body. Seems it's the only solution.

I cleaned the TB and has been working decently for past two weeks. Today weather is hot and humid here in Florida and high idle surging is back. I have noticed this high idle surging on past hot, humid days and I find it odd that hot, humid weather influences the present throttle body into a high, surging idle.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-10-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Hot, Humid Outside TB Surging Again

Update!

Today I removed the TB pulley and spring and I can see and hear the bottom part of throttle blade hitting the bore. There is some play in the blade shaft and with the pulley and spring if I lift the (pulley) side of the shaft while pushing the blade open with my fingers it doessn't scrape the bore. For a temp fix I used synthetic grease on the bore walls, greased the spring and the area where the blade shaft exits the bore.

Before I purchase a replacement I will use 320 or 400 grit and wet sand the edge (outer circumference) of the blade. I may use 600 grit and very lightly sand the bottom of the bore as well. I know I want to take as little off as possible to not effect air flow/idle yet, prevent the blade from sticking. It may not work but I feel it's worth a try before purchasing another one.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-21-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell if this unit uses ball bearings as your other source mentioned?
Old 05-21-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Can you tell if this unit uses ball bearings as your other source mentioned?
I can't tell visually but, it looks as if it may. With the pulley and spring off I sprayed that area with TB cleaner and then lubed it with synthetic grease. The grease didn't need to be pushed in much which leads me to believe a ball bearing is occupying that space. I should've taken pics. Also, I can't find a bushing kit replacement online which also leads to the probablity of it being a ball bearing.

Can I get away with careful sanding to shave enough off without affecting air flow/idle at blade's fully closed position?
Old 05-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can I get away with careful sanding to shave enough off without affecting air flow/idle at blade's fully closed position?
You have nothing to lose LOL but I think you're fighting a moving target.

If it has the big ol air bypass screw you might tweak minimum air rate a little bit with that, but that all relies on the throttle blade closing to an extremely consistent position every time.
Old 05-21-2017

You have nothing to lose LOL but I think you're fighting a moving target.
True. Might be worth a try for a while though.

If it has the big ol air bypass screw you might tweak minimum air rate a little bit with that, but that all relies on the throttle blade closing to an extremely consistent position every time.
Also true.

Replacement options look to be:
1) Pull one from junkyard (if, can find one still on motor) $30 local LKQ
2) Car-Parts nearby yard, already pulled $75
3) OEM.. expensive
4) Skunk2 Alpha series 68mm $125

A new skunk2 68mm is reasonably priced but from what I've read the additional size of bore compared to stock (60mm) decreases hp and torque below 4k and a slight increase in hp and torque above 4k rpms. Unfortunately, they don't sell a 60mm.