Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D15B7 leaking oil and knocking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
majeurp is an unknown quantity at this point
D15B7 leaking oil and knocking.

Hi, I just bought a 1993 Honda civic with the D15B7 engine. Today I took it for a ride for about 30 minutes and noticed that it smelled like oil and coolant. I looked while it was idle and my friend was driving it and when I'm accelerating there's white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. I popped the hood and noticed a BIG oil leaking that seems to come from the headers on the left (where cylinder number 4 would be) and near where the valve covers closes. Not sure where it was leaking I took an old piece of clothe to wipe it down and see where it would drip from, thing is, as soon as I wipped it off and started driving again the motor started knocking each time I'd take off or shift (Low rpm). I took it to my nearest friends garage who luckily was 2 blocks away and stopped driving it to prevent damaging it.

My guess is that I either have a blown head gasket, exhaust header gasket or something is wrong with my valve cover or head. This being my first car I am rather clueless what it could be and what suddently caused the knocking.. So I'd like to hear what you guys think about this and how i could go about on fixing this.

I also checked my oil level which was close to full and not of a ''milky'' color.

Any ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit : While this isn't my car, pretty much this whole area is covered with oil and old oil on this area of the engine.

Name:  9pqgN6Q.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  19.8 KB
Report this image

Last edited by majeurp; 05-01-2014 at 06:45 PM.