Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'89 1.5L wagon rebuild head, engine won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yanger94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy '89 1.5L wagon rebuild head, engine won't fire

i had the head rebuild because of burnt valves, now that i put everything back together, the motor will spin but will not fire. there is fuel going to the throttle body, voltage at the injectors, there is spark, the timing is on, all the electricals are plugged in, ground wires are secured, vacuum lines are connected. i put in new head, exhaust and intake gaskets, new breather box. when i crank the motor it spins as if there is no compression(i will check for compression as soon as i get a gauge). i sprayed engine start into the throttle and nothing changes. i look into the throttle body and sees a pool of fluid sitting at the bottom so obviously nothing was sucked into the engine. not sure what went wrong but i really hate to take everything apart without knowing a little more of what is going on. i don't know too much about this engine so ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: '89 1.5L wagon rebuild head, engine won't fire

Originally Posted by yanger94
when i crank the motor it spins as if there is no compression
that normally means the timing is off, or the cam is not turning at all (broken timing belt).....check the compression
Old 04-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Out of time, and valve adjustment?
Old 04-10-2014
Registered!!

timing is on, but no compression on all cylinders. took the motor apart again, can't seem to find anything wrong. will put it back together and give it another shot.
Old 04-10-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
that normally means the timing is off, or the cam is not turning at all (broken timing belt).....check the compression

timing is on and everything turns as it should be. all the vlaves open and close as it should. i cranked the motor with the covers off just to make sure and turn it by hand.
Old 04-10-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yanger94
timing is on and everything turns as it should be. all the vlaves open and close as it should. i cranked the motor with the covers off just to make sure and turn it by hand.
your valves may not be sealing/seating properly,

check you compression!
Old 04-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. You're overlooking something simple.

I'm still guessing timing is wrong or you haven't adjusted valve clearances properly yet.
Or you bent a bunch of valves like another recent poster did?
Old 04-11-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
haven't adjusted valve clearances properly yet.
Or you bent a bunch of valves like another recent poster did?
thats what im thinking too.....