Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1994 Honda Civic EX Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lazypunk502 is an unknown quantity at this point
1994 Honda Civic EX Issues

My 1994 Honda Civic EX makes an electrical clicking sound more often than not. Also, when coming to a stop (or at least this happens mostly when coming to a stop. It will happen randomly throughout a drive.), the brake pedal is pushed up. I would describe it as a bubbly push up, as in, the brake pedal pushes up then releases. This pushing up and release happens 5-10 in rapid succession. Any thoughts?

Let me know if any more information is required for any speculation. Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: 1994 Honda Civic EX Issues

First... this "electrical clicking" is it when you are starting the car? where does it sound like its coming from?

As for the brake pedal i am not sure what you mean, When you are done pushing it in and release it, then it comes back up or it chatters are you push it down?

is it hard for you to stop? do you have to push to hard, how close does it get to the floor?
when was the last time you flushed your brakes and or changed them?

please provide some more detail.
Old 03-19-2013
Registered!!

lazypunk502 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gunner,

The "electrical clicking" does not occur when cranking the car. It may occur a minute or two after the car starts or 10 to 15 minutes into my journey. The clicking seems to come from either behind the radio or from the glove compartment on the passenger's side. I would assume its coming from the engine compartment, but I can't say for sure.

As for the brake pedal, a better way to describe the issues would be:

Pretend there are air bubbles in the brake line. As the bubbles reach the pedal, the air pushes the pedal up (or toward me or past the resting place of the pedal). The bubble passes through and the brake pedal returns to the original resting place. Image there are 5-15 bubbles in the line, each one after another. They pass in rapid succession. Does that make anymore sense?

I am still able to come to a stop without issue, however, I am forced to push harder on the brake pedal to assure a complete stop is made. I am aware of the situation, so I brake sooner than usual to ensure stopping in time. However, the issue with the brakes does not occur only when coming to a stop. It happens anytime it wants to do so, when cruising, stopping, or sitting still.

Also, it has been quite a while since the last brake job, flushing of the brakes, or changing of the brakes.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-20-2013
Registered!!

J-Master Flex is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely recommend doing a brake job on the front and rear, and bleeding down the lines to see if that helps you any. Usually more back pressure on the brake pedal is good, as long as your car is braking adequately. But if it's not, it could either be your brakes or a bad brake cylinder.

As for the clicking, it's really hard to say what it is from a perspective of anybody who isn't driving your car, but check to see if any electrical components are acting weird, like dimming or flashing lights, or strange noises from your radio or other things. If that doesn't help, take it to somebody who can help you figure out what the issue is.
Old 03-25-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Yes def do a brake job, as for the clicking it could be a loose wire that is shorting..but without taking your dash apart it is hard to find, is your radio stock? Basically have to start taking things apart looking for exposed wires, and loose connections with things that have power going to it.
Old 03-25-2013
Registered!!

jimmycivic is an unknown quantity at this point

the brake pedal part sounds like you either just need a rear drum adjustment or if you have abs the gear around the axle that the abs sensor reads can get clogged if you have abs just clean that and see if the problem persist