Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

need help fast! engine overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi-driver1126 is an unknown quantity at this point
need help fast! engine overheating

Hey there, I recently bought a 1994 Honda civic CX with the 1.5 liter D15B7 engine. (16 valve) It has 357,271 km. When i bought it, it ran really good. Ive had it for over a month now and it ran good every day until now.

I was driving down a really rough gravel road with some puddles at a fair speed, water splashed everywhere. By the time i reached dry pavement again, i realized the motor was running very poorly. Here are a list of its symptoms.

- poor engine power when throttle is applied
- heavy hesitation
- temperature gauge fluctuation. Rises up and down near the 3/4 portion of the gauge
-usually starts up easily, sometimes has trouble starting and staying at idle
-engine sputter, revs high but power delivery is weak

I thought maybe it was my thermostat because the lower rad hose was completely cool while the upper rad hose was really hot. I changed the thermostat and it still overheated. I completely removed the thermostat after that and now it stays at normal temperature (1/4) on the gauge. Although it still runs the same. I REALLY need help with this, as i use the car for work
Old 02-28-2013
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go-part is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: need help fast! engine overheating

I thought maybe it was my thermostat because the lower rad hose was completely cool while the upper rad hose was really hot. I changed the thermostat and it still overheated. I completely removed the thermostat after that and now it stays at normal temperature (1/4) on the gauge. Although it still runs the same. I REALLY need help with this, as i use the car for work
That would usually be caused by a blockage in the radiator.

poor engine power when throttle is applied
- heavy hesitation
- temperature gauge fluctuation. Rises up and down near the 3/4 portion of the gauge
-usually starts up easily, sometimes has trouble starting and staying at idle
-engine sputter, revs high but power delivery is weak
The problems you are having are electrical related. I would start off with having your battery and alternator checked out.