Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1990 Honda Civic DX - Battery draining issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suicide Ernie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1990 Honda Civic DX - Battery draining issue

I have a 1990 Honda Civic DX that won't turn over all the time. When I first bought the car back in 2009, it ran just fan. When the car first started having issues in 2011, I would end up popping the hood and ensuring all wires and plugs were tightly secured. Now this doesn't do anything for the car and I suspect the battery is either on its last legs or being drained rapidly from a source else where in the car. I don't know much about this car in general and my buddy who's a mechanic did most of the work for me. The most mechanical matters I know involve carbs (i.e. my 1987 Dodge Ramcharger) and those are my weekend mechanic moments.

I'm currently in the process of taking the alternator out so I can go to my local parts store and have them test it. They've already tested/charged my current battery about 6 times and every time I put it back in, I'm able to turn the engine over just fine. However, if I shut it down and go back to turn the engine over it won't take. At times it takes about 3 or 4 start ups and shutdowns for this issue to occur.

I assumed it was the alternator seeing as how its job is to cycle the power. My buddy told me it was a clogged fuel injector, but if this was the case, why would my car start up at all and even sustain itself for upwards of 15 minutes before being shutdown?

Any help or technical advice would be greatly appreciated. If all else fails, I'll wind up jumping the battery and taking it to Pick n Pull for scrap metal payment. I'd like to avoid this though seeing as how my mpg is about mid 20s and I've been diving at the pumps with my Ramcharger.

Thanks again guys/girls and happy holidays.

- Ernie
Old 12-29-2012
Former Sponsor

go-part is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1990 Honda Civic DX - Battery draining issue

Have you checked all of your fuses?

Its was a good idea to get the alternator tested.

This is either a fuel or electrical issues, so your mechanic friend may be right about the fuel injector may be clogged.. the only true way to know is to test it.

Dont give up on your car just because of a few breakdowns, it has the potential to last forever. Plus its going to save you a good amount of money when gas prices increase.
Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

jrstroh_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1990 Honda Civic DX - Battery draining issue

Take your alternator in and check it. or you can get a multimeter. Put it on DC and put black lead to negative side and red lead to positive side. with the car off the battery should read 12.25-12.65. Start the car if it doesn't read 13-14.65 you have a bad alternator. If its over 16 it has a bad rectifier and it can be rebuilt. Under 14 and just get a new one. Either case go get a new one.