Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 Civic front wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cessnakyle is an unknown quantity at this point
94 Civic front wheel bearing replacement

My 94 Civic is in need of front wheel bearing replacement. Does anyone have any links or insight as to how difficult this task is? I searched the forum, but came up empty in regards to what troubles/challenges to expect during this process.

Are the wheel bearings the only parts that I'll need to purchase? How much are they? I have a press, air tools, and I'm considering doing this myself and saving some of the $400-$500 my mechanic qouted me for replacing both.

Any thoughts, technics, advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 11-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 94 Civic front wheel bearing replacement

Bearing only..... Have seen a couple threads here now about short lived bearings, like low quality or counterfeit parts. Beware, and think carefully. This is a lot of work to be doing over again.

Front bearings are listed in the "front brake" section http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

If you have the hydraulic press and some know-how, you can probably do it.
Get a good service manual and go for it.

If the ABS sensor seems stuck, leave it alone and just unplug it from the cars wire harness instead. Don't break the sensor. The small bolts may be stuck too, so if any seem like trouble then leave it alone and unplug the wiring instead.

Even if you only get the knuckle off the car and decide you shouldn't do the presswork, carry it in to a machine shop and have them press it for you.
Old 11-12-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I may heed your advice of just removing the knuckles, and bringing them to a machine shop. Sounds sensible, and will probably save me $$, headaches, and self inflicted wounds.
Old 11-12-2012
Registered!!

I found this helpful link in another forum regarding front wheel bearing replacement.

With pictures!

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2685054
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

J-Master Flex is an unknown quantity at this point

Just did the same job on my 95 Civic. The job itself was not that difficult, I had to take it to my uncle's garage to use his press. The whole process took about 8 hours (including brainstorming and consulting manuals), but it's fairly simple. If you have concerns with pressing the bearing yourself, definitely take it to a shop, you don't want to do it wrong and have to buy another bearing only to realize you should have taken it to a shop in the first place.