Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1992 Honda Civic VX

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impossible is an unknown quantity at this point
1992 Honda Civic VX

My VX has no spark or fuel. No fuel pump noise... I had some problems with this at times when it was hot and humid, but usually went away after maybe 15 to 30 minutes and only happened a handful of times in a year. CEL stays on and when I try to use paperclip method to view code(s), the cel light doesn't reveal any codes (no flashes). I believe the ecu may be bad. I did try replacing the main relay and this did nothing for the issue. All fuses check out ok with a test meter. I even checked the ground on the thermostat and cleaned that connection. Map sensor connector measured 5 volts to ground on thermostat. Is there a way to test the ecu with a meter? I'm tempted to just send the ecu into a repair place to have them tell me if it's bad or not. Any advice on further tests? I drove this car for over 5 years and the fuel economy is incredible... probably at least as good as a hybrid. Your advice is appreciated greatly.
Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1992 Honda Civic VX

paper clip sometimes doesn't work right, use a peice of wire. Also pull the back seat and look at your connections to the fuel pump. You might have a short in the circuit. You have to verify fuel pump is good before going to the ecu for troubleshooting.
Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

Si4life is an unknown quantity at this point

grab a p06 comp n try a friends or so to save u the time n money of a repair shop. Ifanything pic one up for cheap on graigs list or Ebay po6 are cheap cheap
Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

Si4life is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and make sure to check dizzy 95 civ did the same n it was a bad coil
Old 05-17-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Si4life
Oh and make sure to check dizzy 95 civ did the same n it was a bad coil
I actually tested the voltage at the MAP sensor from the white wire to GND and got a better connection with my meter... this shows 11 volts... I believe it should be around 5 volts... but not 100% sure because this is a VX, but I doubt that makes much difference... I had sent the ECU in to have it checked by a place that repairs them and they couldn't find anything wrong... however the guy told me that their tests only look for visible issues, but he said it doesn't mean the ECU isn't bad... I wish I would've known that before I spent the 55.00 total to ship it and have it checked out... I may just have to roll the dice and buy one from Oreilly... I wish I knw someone with a VX that I could plug my ECU into to test it. Curses.
Old 05-17-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Impossible
I actually tested the voltage at the MAP sensor from the white wire to GND and got a better connection with my meter... this shows 11 volts... I believe it should be around 5 volts... but not 100% sure because this is a VX, but I doubt that makes much difference... I had sent the ECU in to have it checked by a place that repairs them and they couldn't find anything wrong... however the guy told me that their tests only look for visible issues, but he said it doesn't mean the ECU isn't bad... I wish I would've known that before I spent the 55.00 total to ship it and have it checked out... I may just have to roll the dice and buy one from Oreilly... I wish I knw someone with a VX that I could plug my ECU into to test it. Curses.
The distributor is almost new... actually, when I first had this issue, I took the distributor back and got another one with my receipt... obviously the dizzy didn't fix it... foiled again! Curses.
Old 05-17-2012
Registered!!

I also replaced the Map sensor... when I replaced the main relay... S.O.B! I used a jumper on the main relay to power the fuel pump... it worked... DOUBLE CURSES!
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

My ECU is a P07... I don't think a P06 will work at all... It's a Vtec according to several sources online.

Last edited by Impossible; 05-21-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2012
Registered!!

I fixed the 92 VX! The eyelet fitting that the wire is crimped to that is attached to the thermostat housing was corroded in the crimp which I figured out using my test meter. I cut off the eyelet connector and stripped the wired and put on a new eyelet fitting and connected to the thermostat housing. I put the car in the on position and voila... the fuel pump kicked on and the check engine light went out. But of course it started and ran a little rough for a tiny bit, but then it cleared up and runs smooth now. Not bad for not running for 3 1/2 years... Although I did crank it a few times every 6 months to keep it from seizing. I've missed the 43+ mile per gallon. I know this sounds weird, but this car is like an old pal... I drove it for over 5 years before it quit. I appreciate this forum... I got ideas on what to check from this place. Thanks!