Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering Wheel Alignment shift when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012
meow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slossage is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering Wheel Alignment shift when slowing down

So last night i hit a curb pretty badly. I literally just got my alignment done and i know that is going to need to be fixed but i have a warranty so that is not what i m concerned about. I was driving to work today and i noticed that when i apply the breaks or downshift fast to slow down i hear, and feel this Clunk noise and my steering wheels alignment shifts back to how it was before i hit the curb, but as soon as i put my foot on the gas peddle to accelerate it shifts back to the ****ed up alignment. Also i am heard a decently loud grinding or metal on metal sound when i slow down. Any ideas helpful comments, or possible solutions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steering Wheel Alignment shift when slowing down

The obvious answer is you have bent and/or broken suspension components that are making your car dangerous to drive.

Get the HELL off the road before you kill someone.

Get it to a professional shop, and get it fixed.

If you can't afford to fix it, get a bus pass.
Old 03-03-2012
meow

Thank you i figured it was something serious. I'm planning on getting it towed just didn't know what was wrong with it. And this is y i asked you guys because it was obvious to you, but i really had no idea what to expect.

Thanks again Ezone
Old 03-03-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slossage
Thank you i figured it was something serious. I'm planning on getting it towed just didn't know what was wrong with it. And this is y i asked you guys because it was obvious to you, but i really had no idea what to expect.

Thanks again Ezone
Yes, it's serious.
You clobbered something SOLID.
You bent or broke something on the car. (Probably broke, because the alignment is changing as you drive.) This is dangerous.
I have no idea what is damaged, because I can't see it.
Whatever it is, it should be obvious once it is looked at.

Get out your checkbook. No warranty covers accident damage.

HTH
Old 03-06-2012
meow

Yeah i broke the control arm. I took it too big O and it cost me $360 to fix it, but they fixed the alignment for free.I picked it up this morning it still vibrates a little bit when i am going on the freeway, but other than that it seems to be all good now, but thanks again for the advice.
Old 03-06-2012

Originally Posted by Slossage
it still vibrates a little bit when i am going on the freeway,
Check the rims for being bent, and tires for being out of round, and if all is good there then rebalance them.

Hope it didn't bend a hub.

HTH
Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

dstroman is an unknown quantity at this point

$360!! omg i could buy 4 control arms for that price. all you probably had to do was take the wheel off and look. control arms are easy to change, you have to rent a puller but most part stores do not charge you for it you just need a deposit on it. i would have assumed it was just a bad ball joint though, control arms are hard to break since the bolts that hold it on and the balljoints are much weaker then the arm itself