Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bucking/stalling/coolant issues after sitting 24hrs or longer

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riick is an unknown quantity at this point
Bucking/stalling/coolant issues after sitting 24hrs or longer

If I let my '93 civic sit for more than 24 hours it does the following:
-stalls at intersections
-"bucks" on the highway
-sputters a lot when idling
-has coolant displaced by air

These symptoms eventually go away after a lot of driving, only to return if I don't drive frequently enough.

Any ideas on what's going on?
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bucking/stalling/coolant issues after sitting 24hrs or longer

check the computer for trouble codes. Jump the 2-pin connector underneath the glovebox. Count the blinks of the check engine light with key at On position.
Old 02-02-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Riick
-has coolant displaced by air
You mean your coolant reservoir is overflowing? Check for failed head gasket.
Old 02-06-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kellogg6316
check the computer for trouble codes. Jump the 2-pin connector underneath the glovebox. Count the blinks of the check engine light with key at On position.
No blinks. (Check engine light just stays on when I jump the connector.) Not too surprising perhaps since check engine light does not come on when I drive.
Old 02-06-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
You mean your coolant reservoir is overflowing? Check for failed head gasket.
Chemical testing showed no head gasket problem (no traces of exhaust detected in coolant).
Old 02-06-2012
Registered!!

Exclamation Re: Bucking/stalling/coolant issues after sitting 24hrs or longer

New information:
1) The stalling and bucking begins once the engine is warm - after the temperature gauge has stopped rising.
2) After a stall I sometimes have to floor the gas for it to restart. (Then it sputters and coughs for several seconds before suddenly roaring to full throttle.)

To recap:
If the car has been sitting a few days it will stall at intersections and buck on the highway, but only when the engine is fully warmed up. When it stalls it often refuses to restart unless I'm flooring the gas. The problem goes away after I have driven the car a lot (an hour or two), but it comes back any time I let the car sit for a few days. There is also disappearing coolant and occasional air pockets in the coolant system.
Old 02-06-2012

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

LOL, After 4 weeks I'd figured you'd probably solved this by now. I didn't even notice it was an old post until I had posted the other day.

I'd be trying to figure out where the coolant is going check it hard for external leaks. Apparently there is some sort of UV dye you can put in your coolant that will help to visually see the leak. I don't know I've never done that but I've read about it lots on this forum. Once your 100% sure there are no leaks then the only other place it can be going is into your combustion camber and being burnt out the exhaust. I know you say you tested for that but that does sound like what's going on to me. ie. water/coolant in the pistons is making it run crappy.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

I'd be trying to figure out where the coolant is going check it hard for external leaks.
I did find some coolant seeping out of a cracked hose feeding the intake valve. (The Honda parts websites ID it as "HOSE, WAX IN.")
Could a coolant leak in this location cause stalling? (Like by lowering the coolant's temperature so the intake valve is positioned wrong?)

LOL, After 4 weeks I'd figured you'd probably solved this by now.
Nah- 4 weeks is nothing-- with my luck I still won't know what's going on 4 months from now!
Old 03-09-2012
Registered!!

I think Stock 99 may be correct. I taped a bit of paper towel to a dowel (securely) and the #1 piston is slightly damp. Also there is some dark gray sludge in the coolant. But coolant getting into the cylinder can't be the full story. Here's why:
1) The engine always runs smooth while it's still cool - yet this is when there should be the most coolant in the cylinder.
2) The problem persists for several DAYS afterward - yet the coolant should burn off in just a few minutes.
(Even if you assume more coolant is spraying into the cylinder when it's hot, why would this stop after a few days of use?)

So... is it possible that the sludge in the coolant is settling firmly on something while the car sits (temperature sensor perhaps) and then takes several days to wash off?

It would be helpful for me to know; I am looking for a solution (flushing the coolant?) which might buy me a couple weeks while I look into head gaskets or new a car.
Old 03-09-2012

Hmm, when the car comes up to temperature the tstat opens and starts circulating coolant through the block. As well, the cooling system won't be pressurized when it's cold. That maybe why it's doing it while its hot. Have you checked to see if your oil level is going up or your oil looks 'milkshakey'? If so then the coolant is getting into your oil. Here's a DIY on probably a different model civic engine then yours but it'll give you an idea what's involved. Look at the pics towards the bottom with the HG off and it'll give you a better idea of how the coolant is flowing around the cylinders.

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...ts-pics-71528/

Last edited by Stock 99; 03-09-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2012
Registered!!

the tstat opens and starts circulating coolant through the block. As well, the cooling system won't be pressurized when it's cold. That maybe why it's doing it while its hot.
OK, but this should also be true even if the car has been driven every day. Yet I have few troubles then. That's what puzzles me. It seems unlikely that frequent driving could cause the hole to plug itself up. Any ideas? [/quote]

Have you checked to see if your oil level is going up or your oil looks 'milkshakey'?
Oil is dark but neither cloudy nor frothy. I'll check the level tomorrow.

Great link! Any other do-it-yourself head gasket links you know of? How do I find specs on torque and such? (I think I feel a project coming on... )
Old 03-10-2012

Yeah, I was just putting that out there. Tstat/coolant pressure being the major differences when it's warmed up. I don't know how the sitting for days factors in. The only thing I can think of is the gasket is still in early stages of failure. Generally the compression of the engine pushes into the cooling system and causes your coolant to overflow from the reservoir.

It would be helpful to know what model your engine is. Figure that out and get a FSM (Factory Service Manual) it will answer alot of questions for you.

I don't know if the 5th gens are stamped with the engine model # in the same place but this is where it is on the 6th gen...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...vic-motor.html

This is a shot of my FSM with the exploded view of the headgasket. Cylinder bolts are torqued to 49 ft-lbs on my D16Y7
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cylinder head - 1999 Civic D16Y7.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	82722  
Old 03-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Try having the coolant system flushed. With the "sludge" you may have a clog in the coolant system.
Old 03-11-2012
Registered!!

Generally the compression of the engine pushes into the cooling system
After a drive with bucking problems I always find a bubble in the cooling system, but it's never big enough to push coolant all the way out of the reservoir.
I do go through a lot of coolant (1gal/400 miles?), yet there is only a tiny bit of moisture on the cracked hose. Given the steady drip of water out the tailpipe (only when the engine is running poorly), the dampness in the #1 cylinder, the sludge in the coolant, and the occasional coolant bubble, am I correct in assuming the headgasket is DEFINITELY leaking? Or could the cracked hose and sludge account for all of this?

That Field Service Manual looks fantastic. I'll check for my engine model number tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Try having the coolant system flushed. With the "sludge" you may have a clog in the coolant system.
Would that cause these symptoms?

Whatever it is it's getting worse. Now it won't stay running for more than a minute, and the engine speed is all over the place (it's not just cycling - it sounds like someone is doing random things with the gas pedal.) It used to run smoothly until it warmed up fully; now it only runs smoothly for the first ten seconds.
Old 03-12-2012

Originally Posted by Riick
I do go through a lot of coolant (1gal/400 miles?)
LOL, are you kidding? You'd think if it was leaking that much it would be easy to see. Your cooling system only holds around 1 gal so I guess you're kinda of flushing it as you drive.
Old 03-12-2012
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

If its leaking that much its leaking somewhere, so look everywhere on top and under. What anti freeze are you using cause you should only use hondas cause others can cause problems. Are you making sure you bleed it good cause it usually takes 10 mins or more to bleed it if putting a gallon in at a time. Plus with the bucking and stalling sounds like its getting into the cylinders or something, check your o2 sensors for it to be like white I think for coolant burning.
Old 03-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
If its leaking that much its leaking somewhere, so look everywhere on top and under.
1) Cracked hose connecting to the air intake valve. Not dripping, just has a spec of coolant sometimes.
2) Sometimes a drop of coolant hangs where the radiator intake hose connects to the engine.
3) The #1 cylinder is damp; just moist on top of the piston sometimes. And when the engine is behaving poorly water drips out the exhaust; not sure whether that is from poor combustion or from coolant.

What anti freeze are you using cause you should only use hondas cause others can cause problems.
Never heard that before! Can you point me to a website where this is discussed? I know orange dex-cool can damage cars not designed for it, but I'm skeptical that the brand makes much difference. Mine is the traditional green kind but I seriously doubt it's the Honda brand.

it usually takes 10 mins or more to bleed it if putting a gallon in at a time.
I put in about 1/4 cup each time I drive. Bleeding is kind of pointless because air ends up back in the system no matter how well it is bled.

check your o2 sensors for it to be like white I think for coolant burning.
Good suggestion, but I think I'd need an o2 sensor wrench so that's going to have to wait.
Old 03-12-2012
Registered!!

You'd think if it was leaking that much it would be easy to see.
I agree! I did find some leaks (see previous post) but can they account for this much loss? Based on what I've said in this thread, do you think I can DEFINITELY assume the head gasket is leaking?
Old 03-12-2012

Instead of checking your O2 sensor just check your plugs. Pic below was a plug taken from a car burning coolant.

I'm always hesitant to say 'yes DEFINITELY' because I'm just some dick sitting at a computer on the other side of the continent in another country from where your car is located. Maybe there's some information I don't have that would lead to another conclusion but like I said before if your absolutely sure it's not leaking then it has to be burning coolant. Fix your leaks and see if there's a difference. It's possible that it's leaking on to your exhaust and evaporating off so it's hard to see. You can try putting a piece of cardboard underneath your engine after driving and see if coolant is leaking somewhere you haven't noticed as well. I would exhaust all my options before I started tearing an engine apart.

Name:	Cobra 101204 Plug Sd.jpg
Views:	1372
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	82764  
Old 03-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

FYI: An O2 sensor wrench is less than $10 and is available at any auto parts or tool store.
Old 03-14-2012
Registered!!

Pic below was a plug taken from a car burning coolant.
Mine definitely aren't furry like that. But the #1 was actually moist after a particularly large amount of bucking.

I would exhaust all my options before I started tearing an engine apart.
Yes exactly. Unfortunately, I suspect that after doing all the tests under the sun I'm still not going to have any definitive answers.

My performance problems are eerily similar to what happens with low fuel pressure. I will probably get a fuel pressure gauge (and attachment) before committing to a head gasket repair.
Old 03-14-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
FYI: An O2 sensor wrench is less than $10 and is available at any auto parts or tool store.
That is less than I expected. Problem is it will be a few days before anyone can drive me to the auto parts store.
Old 03-14-2012

Well, if you take coolant loss out of the equation. Then you might want to check your PGM-FI main relay as well

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html
Old 03-14-2012
Registered!!

Well, if you take coolant loss out of the equation. Then you might want to check your PGM-FI main relay as well
Never heard of the three click test; I'll do that and also test the ignition switch test tomorrow. Looks like I also should consider testing my igniter and my coil. That tegger site is pretty nice.
Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

1) Car does not start at all now.
2) Main relay - passes first two tests, but third click is drowned out by starter motor so I can't hear it.
3) Ignition switch - passes all tests.
4) Plugs - Looks like there are white crystals on #1 after all (see pics).

Conclusion: Will keep testing spark/fuel problems... I don't think a slow coolant leak can prevent starting.

Name:	cylinder 4.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	82807   Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinder 3.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	82808   Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinder 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	82809   Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinder 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	82810  
Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

dstroman is an unknown quantity at this point

Fix your coolant problems before checking relays. the problems didn't start with electrical it sounds like it was mechanical to begin with. A warped head is going to change shape when it gets up to temperature. not sure how it wouldn't go back to crap after the head cooled. And now car doesn't run. check Spark compression and Fuel. if you have no compression the car isn't really gonna run. likewise with the spark and fuel
Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

Seems I have a bad coil. Spark was weak and orange, coil has rainbow scorch marks (see pic), and positive-secondary resistance was too low- should be 13200 to 19800 ohms but it was 10000. A bad coil would explain the bucking/stalling when warm as well as the soot on the #2 and #3 spark plugs. It will be a few days until the new coil arrives...

As for the coolant, I will replace the cracked hose, backflush really well, and also flush with sodium citrate. Then I can see whether the sludge comes back and tell how quickly coolant is going into the engine. Is there any chance the sodium citrate could increase the head leak or cause a heater leak?

Name:	Copy of 2012-03-19 006.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	82853  
Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

dstroman is an unknown quantity at this point

i wouldn't flush it with anything. chemical will only make a leaky gasket worse. just drain and fill. Strange it was only acting up on a couple cylinders. i would have just tried a used dizzy i guess instead of replacing the coil but if the resistance is off then thats probably your best bet for bucking issues. (and yeah ur spark should be like a bright blue color). coolant issue doesn't sound good.
i had 2 cars that u had to add coolant everytime you drove it and i know the 1 car for sure had a bad head gasket so adding the coolant everytime isn't a good sign but you should still be able to drive it (the second car with the problem i still have and i drove it for about 6 months adding coolant every time i drove) hopefully the coil will fix the first 2 problems then u have something to drive at least until u can replace the head gasket. i know somebody will probably yell at me for saying u can probably drive it but i never said it wont hurt it, coolant is not something you want getting into the combustion chamber because when it burns it leaves behind residue that will clog and interfere with injectors and o2 sensor
Old 03-21-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dstroman
Strange it was only acting up on a couple cylinders.
I'm sure all four were affected. The soot is just more visible on 2&3 because they don't have additional problems confusing matters like 1&4 do. You can see what I'm talking about if you look at my pics of the spark plugs a few posts back...

Thanks for the tips on chemical flush and on driving with a leak. I'll post again after the parts come and I've had a chance to see if they helped.

Quick Reply: Bucking/stalling/coolant issues after sitting 24hrs or longer