Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grn03exp is an unknown quantity at this point
Headgasket?

I have a 94 civic lx d15b7 5spd. It sat for a couple of months this winter and when we started driving it again we were have a misfiring issue. Started to notice when it was idling rather large quantities of white smoke was coming out the tailpipe. I put my hand infront of the exhaust and it smells sweet like coolant. Last night the heat started blowing cold and the car overheated. All of this points to headgasket but i just wanted to confirm.
Old 03-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Headgasket?

I'd say head gasket for sure. White smoke is a good indication of this The overheating is from the lost coolant.
Old 03-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grn03exp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats what i figured. Its my cousins car and he wanted a second opinion before we started tearing the engine apart. Any tips or tricks about headgasket replacement on the D15B7? Im not good with engine timing so i was hoping paint pen marks would save me from having to retime it. I already got the FSM.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by grn03exp
Thats what i figured. Its my cousins car and he wanted a second opinion before we started tearing the engine apart. Any tips or tricks about headgasket replacement on the D15B7? Im not good with engine timing so i was hoping paint pen marks would save me from having to retime it. I already got the FSM.

Thanks in advance.
Head gaskets are really a lot more intimidating than they are difficult, pick up a haynes manual from the auto-parts store and you shouldn't have any trouble.