Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

People keep hitting my bright red Civic.

Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aran is an unknown quantity at this point
People keep hitting my bright red Civic.

Feb of 2008:

Last Wednesday:

Think they'll total it this time? I'm having trouble even getting talked to by the insurance company, real pain in the ***.
Old 08-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People keep hitting my bright red Civic.

thats prolly around $7k of damage, and im not sure what the car is worth but prolly less than the repair. im guessing they would total it. if the rear glass is cracked, thats even more. why dont the insurance company go after the guy that hit you (obviously not your fault).
Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
why dont the insurance company go after the guy that hit you (obviously not your fault).
If it's anything like around here they're illegal and don't have insurance.

Sorry about your car. That sucks. I miss my red one.

btw- stick with the camera the first pic was taken with, it represents the colors better.
Old 08-01-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is still small claims court, but i guess if they have no money, youre stuck.
Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
If it's anything like around here they're illegal and don't have insurance.

Sorry about your car. That sucks. I miss my red one.

btw- stick with the camera the first pic was taken with, it represents the colors better.
The first photo I had the opportunity to grab my Rebel XTi and get to the scene of my fiancee's accident (Obviously she got rear-ended) and the second was taken with my Samsung Omnia which is one of the better phones I've owned but still just a phone with a camera slapped in.

As for insurance, we both have Progressive. I'm just not sure how things are going to go because I haven't heard from them since Friday.

The last accident was something like $8k in damage so I imagine it'll be something like that this time.

It's an '05 EXSE Coupe with 50k miles, so hopefully it's worth a bit above that.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jsmithe2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stop making sudden brakes!

Next time, mount some sort of pointy, Klingon sword thingy on back so people stay clear!
Old 08-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'm not sure how mounting a bat'leth to the back of your car would prevent someone from hitting you..
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I'm not sure how mounting a bat'leth to the back of your car would prevent someone from hitting you..
Nerd points for knowing the name of that thing.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

I prefer a row of rear-mounted d'k tahg launchers.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Here, I took some more pictures with a slightly better camera (Canon S50) http://cicchini.org/civic/
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Aran
The last accident was something like $8k in damage so I imagine it'll be something like that this time.

It's an '05 EXSE Coupe with 50k miles, so hopefully it's worth a bit above that.
Cheapest I saw it listed is $10,500 so, maybe they won't total it. Don't know if I'd want it back after that happened to it twice tho. If it's paid off I'd probably want it fixed just because I hate car payments. lol. Jealous of the plate border, they made 'em illegal here.

Btw-did you just get lazy and not fuzz the plate or forget?
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Don't care, I'm nowhere near anonymous on the internet.
Old 08-02-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Many people thinks that the red light means "go", so you better get a green one next time - they will brake when they see green, and accelerate when they see red...
Jokes aside, sorry for your loss...
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you got some crappy insurance. Why not switch to something better.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude I would plead with them to total it. I had the same thing happen to my old red em2 ex. I got hit at a stop light, same damage plus broken glass, a bent rim, and the front bumper fell off. They didn't total it and it never ran right again. It ate tires and brakes like a mother for the next 6 years.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Nosepicker
Sounds like you got some crappy insurance. Why not switch to something better.

Sure, will you help me with the premiums?

It's the other guy's insurance anyhow, not mine.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jsmithe2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a red convertible for 10 years... zero accident (well 1, but not even bumper scratched), no more cop-stop than my old boring brown. It's YOU. :^
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

It's the other guy's insurance anyhow, not mine.
Well, that's good to know. But I'm sure they have rules about take the vehicle to their choice of shop. If not, milk that sucker. Take it to the best shop you can find.

As for progressive...they still suck.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jsmithe2010
Had a red convertible for 10 years... zero accident (well 1, but not even bumper scratched), no more cop-stop than my old boring brown. It's YOU. :^
Except there were different people driving the car each time. There goes YOUR theory!
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

That sucks man. Don't ever ride a motorcycle with that kinda luck!
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

I ride a motorcycle.

I've been hit several times and put my foot down on gravel and fallen over at stop lights and every other stupid thing you can think of.

But anyhow... I took the car in to the Progressive shop this morning. Got a call a few hours later.

Damage estimate was just short of $9k, and with a month's worth of car rentals, plus them paying to insure a rental car, they totalled it instead.

Their offer, based on local cars for sale (The ****ing stupidest way to do so, I might add) that has no budging room, is just under $11k.

Now where am I going to find a comparably awesome car with as few miles and no problems for that little?
Old 08-03-2010
Premium Member

look for a 99-00 civic. much more reliable, alot of em have low miles.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

Don't get another civic that year unless it's an SE or you'll disappointed. Try to upgrade. Do you like auto or manual?

WTF! Why are cars so expensive there? Any of the cars I looked at are instantly $1000 less here?
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

I think I'm just going to get my Jeep back to 100% (needs brakes and O2 sensors) and save the rest of the money until something awesome comes along.
Old 08-03-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
look for a 99-00 civic. much more reliable, alot of em have low miles.
and much better suspension to play around, i guess..
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

I think I'm just going to get my Jeep back to 100% (needs brakes and O2 sensors) and save the rest of the money until something awesome comes along.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/1676199462.html
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

I ride a motorcycle.

Now where am I going to find a comparably awesome car with as few miles and no problems for that little?
You do ride! lol. Be careful out there and wear your gear.

I got my 99 Si for 1500 with a new factory installed engine. Just look around you will find something.
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

I think I may just grab whatever cheap, good condition older Honda I find and drive it into the ground, then put the rest of my money into more productive uses like paying off a few credit cards and savings.

Found a cute, nice condition Del Sol for about $2k that I'm going to go test drive tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

micheecivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is what you do, take the 11k buy the car back from them, should be able to get it back for 2k or so, then buy one with a blown motor or trans, 2k more then pay a shop to swap the motor and trans 2k and that will be the swap plus all new hoses and belts. Then you will have 6k into the car and another 5k left over, you could use the 5k on a rental till the swap is done or buy a cheep 1k car and keep it for a spare or sell it when you dont need it any more. Or get one that has minor front end damage and use your fenders and hood and stuff to fix it then you can sell it and make even more off it.
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

They want about $3800 for it. Not worth the effort.

Went to look at a '94 Miata in mint condition down the road earlier today. I'm a big guy, but I fit just fine into it, and it was comfy as hell.

Until I tried to put my foot on the clutch and slammed my knee on the wheel. Legs too long

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: People keep hitting my bright red Civic.