Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

HVAC/shifter lighting

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rduncan5678 is an unknown quantity at this point
HVAC/shifter lighting

In the 96-00 model LX (mine is a 99), is there supposed to be backlighting for the climate control ***** and also the shifter? (its an automatic). It seems rather dark and I don't remember it always being this dark, but I may be mistaken. I recently pulled out the radio to put in a 7inch screen for my carputer, so I am assuming I messed up something if it is supposed to be lit. However, I cant see any unplugged or broken wires going to the control box. So maybe there is a fuse or something? (also checked the fuse box to no avail). It isnt something crucial for me to fix but it would be nice if this is easy to repair.
Old 12-19-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HVAC/shifter lighting

Bulbs all over this one. 2 of #10 and 2 of #15.

Bulb is #1 here.
Old 12-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rduncan5678 is an unknown quantity at this point

All of the bulbs would go out at once? That seems unlikely to me, unless unplugging the control box can cause that.
Old 12-20-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I just posted the parts catalog pic for the bulbs. I have no idea what you did or even if you did something to make the lights quit. I can guess all day though. I test and diagnose things before throwing parts at it though.

It would be easy enough use a DVOM to check the contacts for power and ground with the lights on (dash light brightness turned up full blast), and ohm check the bulbs with a DVOM to make sure.

The heater panel and switches share wiring of their own, and also share a circuit with the shifter light but only to a certain extent. All of these DO tie in to the rest of the dimmable dash lights on the same fuse.

Do the rest of the dash and switches still light up and you can adjust brightness with the dimmer dial? If they do, then it is not a fuse problem.
If all of them don't work then unplug the radio and check fuse #30. Recheck your radio wiring. If the fuse blows with the radio connected and the lights on, you wired it wrong.

If you think they might just have a connector unplugged.......The illumination wiring in the heater controls runs through a couple of large multi-wire connectors....one of them (blue plastic, 24 terminals) is covered by the center console panel/accy socket panel at the front, below the radio. Another is behind the glovebox area, 16 terminal. I would think there would be a bunch of other things not working if either of those got unplugged.

The shifter light has probably been out for a long time. The heater bulbs could have had some out and just now lost the last one.
I have no idea what happened, but I know how to check them.

Last edited by ezone; 12-20-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typos