6th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

DIY Mini Jack install

Old 01-16-2011
Car Noob, fast learner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calisuni is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY Mini Jack install

Hey all,
I have a stock Alpine CD changer that I don't use.
Has anyone had success using the CD changer input on the stock radio as an iPod input?

I only ever use my iPod/iPhone via a badly damaged FM broadcaster anyways, so I wanted to run a cable to the center console.

I don't mind exploring, but I'd rather get advice before tearing it up.

Config:
'97 Honda Civic EX, 4 Dr
Stock Alpine CD changer
Stock Radio

Thanks, thanks, THANKS!
Calisuni
Old 01-16-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY Mini Jack install

the best connection (digital cd quality) would be with the usa-spec honda/ipod converter box for around $100. it will be better than sound from aux jack and fm mods. and you can control the ipod from the factory radio. one side plugs to the cd changer port, then to the box, then from box to the ipod dock connector (not the earphone jack). it also charges the ipod while in use. search for it on crutchfield.com i had one and it works great. but for the price, i ended up going with aftermarket sony deck which has usb plug for the ipod and a much nicer interface around $125.

if you are set on the mini jack and dont want to spend $100, then here you go. you still need to spend some $$ for the aux converter box tho, altho its much cheaper than the ipod direct connect unit. but nowhere near the quality. diy is for 7thgen civic but same idea.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...installed.html
Old 01-16-2011
Car Noob, fast learner

Calisuni is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Nice thread. I'll give it a try, and I'll probably make an aux port out of the odd looking spot to the right of the radio, if I can.
Old 01-23-2011
Registered!!

Connabon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in the same Place. No need to spend more than 30$!

Option 1 (cheap/confusing): taking out the CD player and finding the inputs. Now, I will say I'm not too familiar with the "alpine" cd player. But if you are able to look up online how to connect a cd changer it should have some RCA somewhere

Option 2: after market radios! Now I know that sounds expensive, but being the cheap man that I am I set up a after market head unit and wiring and iPod connecting chord for 34.95. How? Pawn shop! Depending on your aera, look for pawn shops with car audio. Find some in your price range and write down the names. Even if they are old check out their wiring compatibilty. See the audio chords that plug into the stock player probably won't connect with your after market radio. So now you have 2 more options. If you can't solder look for adapters at car audio shops and they will make it work if you get the correct one. But if you can solder and you are cheap you will solder the wires into the aftermarket plug wires. If you actually read this part and want to do this, I will totally send you or anyone the wiring diagrams and what not and walk you through it cause I wish someone had helped me you know? Just e-mail me!