Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

How to build for best low-RPM torque?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4cylracer is an unknown quantity at this point
How to build for best low-RPM torque?

Hey all,

I am getting into the world of 4 cylinder circle track racing and engine building to a point. please bear with my ignorance to an extent. I know most engines get peak hp building up to the high rpms. but with us, we are getting our engines to the range of 3k to 5500 rpms... we run the Honda 1.6 litres both twin and single cam. what my question is... other than manipulating the v tec computer program to kick on lower rpms... whats the best way to build the best hp with lower rpms. shaving head, putting high compression pistons in, boring out with larger pistons, using cams etc... cams are great for high revving... but for us we need to get most torque at what most would call lower rpm ranges. any help would be great thanks.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-14-2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Change HP to torque, range to RPM
Old 11-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Engine performance

Love the hopefulness....

Saying your racing from 3-5.5 rpm means your likely losing to the guy who’s engine is running 3-6k rpm with everything else equal..

if your not running around the track at max speed on the shortest lines, then brakes and suspension also need to be looked at.
Old 11-14-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to build for best low-range HP?

posts moved to new thread. They didn't have anything to do with the original thread, much less the same generation of honda engine.
Old 11-14-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: How to build for best low-range HP?

Supercharger if allowed.

Other than that pull out the 1.6L and install a 2.0 L high compression engine. Use LS head. Can get more gains with bolt-ons and proper tune. You want as much torque as possible in that RPM's range and a 2.0L is much better than a 1.6 for torque output across the entire powerband.
Old 11-14-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: How to build for best low-RPM torque?

What you looking for is not HP, you are looking for torque.

Compression gets the most, but you will need remap the ECU, if you have the means.

What year engines are you talking about? What is stamped on the block?