Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

What ECU can i use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondas desciple is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation What ECU can i use?

ok, so... im not familiar with the whole ECU setup..

i wanted to get an ECU that has a "2 step". i was told to get a chipped ecu, but how am i gonna find or get my hands on a chipped ECU? i wanna run it on my civic 97 swapped b17... i have a obd2a ECU at the moment.

the main question is, do i have to stick with an "obd2a" ECU? or can i get something else? im lost on the whole concept of ECU's plug n play function....

any info would sure help.
Old 04-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: What ECU can i use?

Sorry, you lost me.

You have a b17 into an 97 Civic?

I have no idea what a "2 step" Ecu is.

Why are you getting the ecu?
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Sorry, you lost me.

You have a b17 into an 97 Civic?

I have no idea what a "2 step" Ecu is.

Why are you getting the ecu?
yes i have a swapped b17 into my civic. and correct me if im wrong, but a "2 step" is also known as launch control?
i was told you can get that in a chipped ecu. and just for performance purposes.
Old 04-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hondas desciple
yes i have a swapped b17 into my civic. and correct me if im wrong, but a "2 step" is also known as launch control?
i was told you can get that in a chipped ecu. and just for performance purposes.
Tuning software includes features like boost by gear, which is useful if you're making A LOT of power, because 500whp is difficult to translate to traction in first gear.

If you just have basic mods, then tuning the engine would not be a good use of funds, you might say, there would be no bang for buck.

What ECU you can use depends on the way it was swapped, if you're running an obd1 dizzy and engine harness with an obd2 jumper harness, you can stick with the obd2.
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

Tuning software includes features like boost by gear, which is useful if you're making A LOT of power, because 500whp is difficult to translate to traction in first gear.

If you just have basic mods, then tuning the engine would not be a good use of funds, you might say, there would be no bang for buck.

What ECU you can use depends on the way it was swapped, if you're running an obd1 dizzy and engine harness with an obd2 jumper harness, you can stick with the obd2.
that sounds good enough. but yes i have a b17 motor in my civic, believe it or not, it was done. but hmm, im not sure what type of dizzy i have. my car runs great. i wouldnt want to mess with that, but i'd like to know what im running and what i CAN run for this setup...

ECU=obd2a
motor-b17
Old 04-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by hondas desciple
that sounds good enough. but yes i have a b17 motor in my civic, believe it or not, it was done. but hmm, im not sure what type of dizzy i have. my car runs great. i wouldnt want to mess with that, but i'd like to know what im running and what i CAN run for this setup...

ECU=obd2a
motor-b17
As long as the current ecu is OBD2, you can keep it OBD2.

Look into Neptune, Hondata, AEM, and Chrome <-Cheapest.
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

As long as the current ecu is OBD2, you can keep it OBD2.

Look into Neptune, Hondata, AEM, and Chrome <-Cheapest.
ok, so what will i be looking for if i went towards hondata or any of the ones mentioned?

a hondata obd2 ecu? sorry, im just starting to learn about this ECU concept as we speak, and while on google..
Old 07-12-2012
Registered!!

civicjtq is an unknown quantity at this point

Could someone help me out here... .

okay I have a Greddy turbo kit with greddy ultimate e management but I have ordered hondata flash-pro to use instead.. what do I do step by step to remove the Greddy E management.. and do I HAVE TO get my ECU back to stock somehow before letting the performance garage tune my car with flash-pro????