Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

Research for my 1998 honda civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98Honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Research for my 1998 honda civic ex

Hey everyone im trying to figure out if my motor can handle a small boost i dont really know much about the motor all i really know its a d series and if someone suggest a swap i heard to switch to a LS please let me know what i can do or what i cant do i already have the turbo and everything ready to go im just trying to figure out if i should buy a LS motor first
Old 02-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough
Re: Research for my 1998 honda civic ex

it will handle small amounts of boost, like 4-5 psi without building it up but thats about the limit without building the engine. There are better options out there but you can build up a d series for pretty cheap to handle larger amounts of boost. Just make sure that you are adding a fuel management system to get proper combustion of the fuel and spark timing. Running a stock setup will be guaranteed to blow it up. Check out http://www.d-series.org/forums/ for info on building it up and what works well.
Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

how do i know what seires engine i have i see people posting about like d15b7 and other where do i look to find mine?
Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

right where the transmission meets the engine there will be a stamp on the block saying d16y7, d16y8 etc that tells you what engine you have.
Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

ok now for other questions i want to try to put this turbo in asap
so far i have
1.1h1 Turbo vj11-8812
2.Intercooler with all piping needed
3.Getting injectors( which CC should i get? )
4.What should i do to the ECU
5. larger oil pan

and if there is alot im missing please let me know i have other things just didnt list
Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

Do your homework first, there are a lot of choices for fuel management units, megasquirt, apexi fmu, safc. First decide what hp you want to get and you will have to look into building up the block for anything over very mild boost, expect no more than 175ish hp on stock internals before you run into problems. The d series blocks stock internals are not very strong. Read up on turbo builds on the link I gave you, also look into the bisimoto cams its worth the money.
Old 02-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You'll also need a turbo manifold, waste gate and blow off valve. Going turbo isn't cheap and if you try to you will destory your motor, factor in at least two hours of dyno time at $150 an hour.
Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

i have the turbo manifold, wastegate and blow off valve and i am doing my home work thats why i am asking people that know about it

Last edited by 98Honda; 02-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2011
Registered!!

i dont plan on running alot of boost right now i have some money to spend so what CC would be good for running stock right now? someone told me 450cc would be alright for now.

also for my FMU what Raito do i get or start out yet how would i do the math to know please if you could explain that would be great

Last edited by 98Honda; 02-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2011
Registered!!

450cc should be ok to start out with at lower boost, the stock fuel pump should be able to keep up to that, the air/fuel ratio will be adjuted with the tune, a fuel management unit or (fmu) can be tuned that is what the dyno is for, they can adjust it for best performance. Just make sure they do not tune to to aggresively as it will blow the motor up, let them know that you are still wanting decent reliability on the motor.
Old 02-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

450CC injectors would work well and you can save money on buying after-market injectors by buying the OEM RDX injectors as they are 450CC.
Old 02-27-2011
Registered!!

i was reading about those injctors some people are saying they are for acura and i will have to re wire them to work with my civic
Old 02-27-2011
Registered!!

i am sorry this is going to sound stupid how do you tune a car do i use my computer with some type of program please explain i am so lost or is tuning just buying parts and puting them in
Old 02-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

research first, check list of what you want, what you need, then start getting parts...
why you so in a hurry? that could get very expensive the way you doing...
start here... a few lines below your own thread. Engine is not yours, but same theory applies...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ies-motor.html
Old 02-27-2011
Registered!!

im trying to get alot done fast before summer i have the money so i will be buying all parts fast this is why im looking for information now
i have the following already

Turbo Charging 1998 honda civic

Check list
1.Turbo
2.Turbo Manifold
3.Blow off vavle
4.Fuel regilator
5.intercooler (w/ all piping needed)
6.Larger Oil pan
7.WasteGate
8.boost controler

Getting
1.450cc Fuel injectors
2. Fuel managment system
3. ECU( i was thinking hondata but whats the best let me know your thoughts
Old 02-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hondata is best (is top on price too...) - it also includes the fuel management
Old 02-28-2011
Registered!!

if i wanted to do an engine swap for my car which is a good motor to get the motor i have no is d16y7 and yes i plan on boosting either this one or the swap motor
Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

for mild boost the d16y8 would not really need any buildup but the d16y7 would if you are planning over 4-5 psi, but on the bright side a built up d16y7 can be less costly and prone to damage as there are less things to worry about like a vtec solenoid. The b series engines tend to handle boost well so its entirely your call. A mildly boosted d16y7 would probably get you around 150ish hp without port n polishing or cam, and a d16y8 would probably be closer to 170ish hp. Those are hp numbers at the crank not a the wheels. There are lots of turbo build ups done for the D series engines though some in excess of 400 hp so its not without its merits butthe 96-00 SI (US Model or SiR canada model) b series can get you those numbers without a turbo setup.
Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

well i just got the piping needed to setup the intercooler and turbo i was wondering can i put the turbo in with everything stock and run low boost for now will stock fuel injectors work for now with out a tune i just want to throw it in for now then i will start to upgrade more i have a d16y7 motor
Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

I doubt that the stock fuel system will keep up to it, you can always try but if it goes boom don't cry to us lol.
Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

alright so if i get another Fuel management system will everything else stock be fine WITHOUT tune for now??? running like 2-3 psi boost?
Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

yes it should be.
Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

for the fmu i would need to get a fuel regulator, FMU ( what ratio is good to get?) and also will i need a high pressure fuel pump??
Old 03-02-2011
Registered!!

you would need to look at a high flow fuel pump more than a high pressure one as the fuel pressure regulator is what takes care of that, a fuel ratio if 10:1 is usually what you look for but those who do tuning would be better to ask about that as I do not do a lot of tuning.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

does anyone have a vaccum diagram i dont know where to put my lines