Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Does lowered equal harsher ride???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brazor is an unknown quantity at this point
Does lowered equal harsher ride???

So it's been a while since I've posted here. Here's the skinny. Got an eibach lowering kit (springs and struts) all the way around, but noticed that the ride is much harsher. I'm running on 15s with plenty of rubber, so can rule out the wheels as the culprit.

Are there any lowering setups that still provide a comfortable ride? A longshot, but just throwing the question out there to the forum. Thoughts anyone?
Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

My little EK-47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Does lowered equal harsher ride???

Originally Posted by brazor
Are there any lowering setups that still provide a comfortable ride? A longshot, but just throwing the question out there to the forum. Thoughts anyone?
My friend has a 2000 civic si. he got a set of Function & Form Type 1 coilovers, front and back, and F&F type 1 lower control arms.

Has it lowered quite a bit, and still, whenever we go over bumpbs or anything (we live in IL so not the best roads) it doesnt hit hard or be loud or anything, We love em. lol and they arent too hard on the wallet either!

http://www.functionnform.com/Functio...-1995_p_9.html
Old 06-26-2012
old guy

T-Bohn will become famous soon enoughT-Bohn will become famous soon enough

Yeah, overall when you go lower it is harsher.

Here's why, you have less travel, so to keep the car from hitting bottom they use a stiffer spring. This then needs a shock with more dampening control to slow the wheel movment this happens in compression (chassis down ) and rebound (chassis up the stiffer spring pushing back up )

If they weren't stiffer it would not handle any better, maybe a tiny bit because of lower center of gravity. Soft ride needs travel on the suspension (think buggys and off road racers)

You just have to ask around my hatchback with Tokico Illumina's and Tokico springs did crash and ride hard on bumps. If I set at three it would feel slightly stiffer then stock but would hit the bump stops all the time and crash and be rough.
Old 02-24-2013
Registered!!

packersfanEJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll have to look into those F&F Type 1s. They're budget friendly and seem to have everything I want. Does anyone know how they'd compare to Tein basic dampers, or if there's anything in this same category of low yet still comfy?