Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Pinch bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VA_Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Pinch bolt?

Ok so Im working on dropping my civic. I read that theres a pinch bolt for take off. What exactly makes a pinch bolt different from a reg bolt. Every where im readying says take the pinch bolt off. But no other details. is there some special details or it just comes off with a wrench? Thanks..
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Angry Re: Pinch bolt?

Ok, so I have a new question. I tried to get it off and broke the head rite off the bolt. So now whats the best way to get the rest of the bolt out?
Old 02-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Pinch bolt?

Oh no...

Broken bolts are tough to get out, especially if you don't have a the equipment. You could drill into the bolt and try to remove it with an extractor set, or completely drill out the bolt and install a heli-coil insert..
If you don't have lots of experience, then you might need to take it to a shop, because broken bolts are tough.
Old 02-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Easy outs are the method I would use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ftJ...eature=related
This works as well and you require fewer tools, but to much heat could damage the strut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTRUXRv2HFs
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Ok goin to get easy out tool. Where can I get a new pinch bolt from. Autozone had no ckueclue what it was.
Old 02-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

They should have pinch bolts at autozone, the person you were speaking to was probably just an uneducated noob. Worst case scenario you'll need to go to Honda tomorrow morning to get a new one.
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Ok got tool. Im goin to call autozone and or honda tomorrow from work n see
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Is it possible to take spring/strut off with strut fork still attached? Figure it would be easier to drill out bolt off car.
Old 02-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If you remove the 17mm bolts that hold the fork to the knuckle and the 14mm bolts that hold the strut mount to the chassis then then the whole assembly should slide out, no guarantees though since I haven't personally attempted that.
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Yeah took those off. However lower control arm n ball joint are still in my way so looks like i gota drill with it attached to the car.
Old 02-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by VA_Civic
Yeah took those off. However lower control arm n ball joint are still in my way so looks like i gota drill with it attached to the car.
Yeah, thats what I thought might get in the way. It shouldn't be to hard to drill out the bolt while it's on the car, it's very common for these bolts to shear off.

To prevent future headaches I recommend you change all your suspension bolts with new bolts while you have them out and put a little anti-seize on the threads.
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

good idea. Yeah i went to driver side and ending up the pinch bolt snapped in half on the said. lol. new bolts here we come
Old 02-15-2011
Registered!!

Ok went to honda dealer today and ordered new pinch bolts. Got 4 just in case. They should be here tomorrow or thursday. Thinking about jackin up the back tomorrow after my second jack and trying to get them done in the mean time. With the little free time I have I gota fit car work in where I can.
Old 02-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Ok went to honda dealer today and ordered new pinch bolts. Got 4 just in case. They should be here tomorrow or thursday. Thinking about jackin up the back tomorrow after my second jack and trying to get them done in the mean time. With the little free time I have I gota fit car work in where I can.
I would definitely get working on the back, that way if another bolt breaks you can order it now rather than waiting. Just remember to use jack stands dude!
Old 02-15-2011
Registered!!

Yeah def using jack stands. And yeah that was my thought is see if anything else breaks. Im running a day late cuz I went to dealer to late yesturday so they got ordered today. Add that to the two nites my girlfriend has made us plans and Im going to be busy. Hoping the bolts come in tomorrow and I will be better off.
Old 02-17-2011
Registered!!

Ok, at this point Im beyond frustrated. I got the half of the pinch bolt that broke off the driver side out. However, since I snapped the head off the passenger side I cant get it out. I've tried a extractor and with no luck. Not sure what other options I have. Its still on the car and Im out ideas. Any help?
Old 02-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Lowering older cars is a pain in the ***, because this almost always happens.

Do you have the bolt partially out now and it's gotten stuck? If thats the case your going to need to heat it up with a torch to expand the threads and hopefully that will break the corrosion, then you'll be able to remove it. If that doesn't work your options are either drilling it out and retapping the hole or installing heli-coils which you would likely want a shop to do.
Old 02-17-2011
Registered!!

Nope I snapped the head off and couldnt get it to budge. I have tried easy out and extractors and nothing. So Im going to put driver said together and passenger side together and tow it to dealer to get bolt out and new pinch bolt put in.
Old 02-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

also, PB blaster?
Old 02-17-2011
Registered!!

PB blaster? i was using liquid wrench
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

Ok, so I am trying to re bolt up the suspension so I can get it to the shop in the morning. I am trying to bolt the lower bolt for the strut fork however lining up I am having issues. I have the bolt in. however the other part of the fork where the nut goes on I can get it lined up. I have tried a jack on that side and not getting it to line up any ideas?
Old 02-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Its tought to get it back together, but i've always been able to manage by using a jack to help me line it up. I wish there was some simple trick to it, but it's mostly just experience and patience. When you were trying the easy outs, did you heat it up first?

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-20-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

My blow torch is a hair drier lol.
Old 02-20-2011
Car Enthusiasts

Raid3n is an unknown quantity at this point

lol at this comment
Old 02-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

. Haha heating up a bolt with that might take awhile, I'd suggest investing in a cheap propane torch in the future. They aren't as effective as acetalne, but still help quite a bit.
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

lol so i started on the drivers said putting it back together finally got the bolt in. working on pass side and of course i can get the bolt in it getting it out that is the problem. So taking a lil cool down break. Im sure my girlfriend will enjoy having her hair drier back. lol just kidding. once I get it through I gota bolt brake line onto strut and torque everything back to spec. Hoping they can get the old broken pinch bolt out and new one i ordered on quick tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2011
Registered!!

ok I have been working on pass side all nite, with no luck getting lower bolt fully thru. I need the fork to get towards engine and up. I have tried pushing on fork and jack however once jacking pressure pushs fork back out. Any one have any other ideas before I just have her towed to shop?
Old 02-21-2011
Registered!!

Ok, tow company want $90 to tow her 3.5 miles. Can you say no thanks. lol babied her to the shop. So all total Ive spent $400 to replace two bolt on her. lol
Old 02-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

That sucks big time man, I don't think I've heard of someone having so much bad luck dropping a car. On saturday I busted my tie rod while re-lowering my car after winter and had to drive to a shop with it hay wired in place, because the damn thing was seized on the pitman arm.
Old 02-21-2011
Registered!!

Yeah I havent either. But till the end I couldnt catch a break. So who knows. Still waiting on the shop to call when its done.

Quick Reply: Pinch bolt?