I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

97 Coupe, key won't turn ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
samscoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Coupe, key won't turn ignition.

Hey, I just bought a 97 coupe and the key won't turn. It's locked in the off position. The wheel seems locked. No left steer, limited right steer. Why is it doing this, and what can I do to fix it?
-Dx Coupe
-Manual
Old 11-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 Coupe, key won't turn ignition.

Turn the steering wheel each direction while applying some pressure on turning the key. The wheel will move a little in one direction or the other, move it to take pressure off the column lock so the key can turn.

Or let the car roll a little bit to take pressure off the column lock.
Or jack up both front wheels off the ground so pressure is relieved off the column lock.

Or maybe the key is wrong, or a cylinder/tumbler problem, or anything like that.

Why is it doing this,
A lot of the time, a person will grab the steering wheel to help get themselves out of the car, and it turns and engages the lock....with a lot of pressure against it.

Letting a little kid play in the car, they will try to steer and get the lock to engage.....with a lot of pressure against it.