I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Possible Tweeter locations with Pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012
Vintage Truck Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anthony_76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible Tweeter locations with Pictures?

I am wondering where I should mount my tweeters. I know it's up to me and what sounds the best to me, But I want some ideas and want to see where you guys mounted yours.
I am thinking of mounting the on the door pillars or in the mirrors, since my car has aftermarket sport mirrors and I can't use the lever anyways.
So guys, where have you mounted your tweeters?
Please post pictures.
Old 12-07-2012
Registered!!

Weigel21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Possible Tweeter locations with Pictures?

The closer to ear level the better.
Old 12-12-2012
Vintage Truck Collector

Well here's where I ended up mounting them...

I also mounted my engine stabilizer bar. Next project is to install a factory tachometer clusteer, and raise this car back up to its stock height! (It has stupid Tokico Blues suspention and lowering springs) YUCKY! :x

(Pictures to come of stabilizer bar)

(I should start a project thread for this car?!)

Funny I mounted these this morning and then just saw I'm not the only one. Mine swivel as well.
Next install will be a small subwoofer and a small amp.
(I wanna stick with Rockford Fosgate, any recommendations?
Old 12-13-2012
Registered!!

Well, what's your budget for this setup?

How much trunk space are you willing to give up?

Are you willing/planning to upgrade your stock electrical system if it's not up to snuff?

What's your music preference and what kind of sound are you looking to get from adding a sub or multiple subs?

You planning/wanting to buy a prefab enclosure or build a custom one yourself?

Honestly, I'd probably try going for something like an 8" P2 in a ported enclosure, but I'd have to do some checking and running some numbers to find if the sub is better suited for a ported enclosure or not. Looks like the P2D4-8 has an EBP of 74, so it'd actually do better in a ported enclosure. Calls for a .65CUFT ported enclosure, so if that's more space than you want to give up for just one 8, you could run it in a sealed enclosure of .23CUFT. Also, the ported enclosure recommendation tuning looks to be 38.5Hz, so you'd need an amp with a subsonic filter or HPF able to be activated around 35Hz. Sadly, it doesn't appear as though any of the lower powered and lower cost models offer a Subsonic filter and even most of their 2-channel amps have a HPF that only goes as low as 50HZ. Well, unless you don't mind splurging on the amp, you could always buy the adjustable subsonic filter FMOD by Harrison Labs, it has a 35Hz setting with a 12dB slope or you could get the 37Hz 18dB slope bass Blocker. Prices are $39 and $29 before any shipping.
Old 12-13-2012
Vintage Truck Collector

Well here's what I wanna do. I defiantly wanna stick with Rockford Fosgate all the way around.
I mostly listen to Classic Country & Classic Rock, I also like AC/DC & Led Zeppelin.
I just want a small single 8-12" sub and a good amp. I will upgrade my wiring if need be, but from what I hear, it's sufficient for what I want to do.
I have another $200 dollar budget for the amp and sub setup.
Old 12-14-2012
Registered!!

Well, the P2 I listed is a Rockford, but I'm sure you know that. The music yo listen to primaraly would likely sound better with a sealed sub, but a properly built/tuned ported enclosure with a sub better suited could potentially do you as well. A smaller driver tends to produce tighter punchier bass and reporduce quick drum lines more easily in my experience, not to say there's not a properly setup 12" that can't. I have a Polk MM-1040D that does quite well actually.

Anyways, a single lower to moderate powered sub likely won't stress your electrical if you haven't other aftermarket electronics demanding power.

If you're not up to the challange of building a custom ported enclosure, then a factory loaded enclosure is the only decent way to go, generic enclosures aren't designed for a specific sub, but rather to work alright with most. Also, if you were to build a ported enclosure, tolerance errors are much less forgiving.

Yep, I'd likely (now) opt for a sealed sub setup. Look for a Rockford with a lower than 50 EBP. Might want to stick to a 10" or smaller as larger driver tend to have a more difficult time producing tight rapid bass lines.

For $200, it's going to be difficult. You'll pretty much be limited to their entry level products and building your own enclosure to stay under budget.
Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

So what route did you take? Are you happy with it?
Old 12-21-2012
Vintage Truck Collector

No one has told me out of the list of subs and amps I picked, which one to choose.
Here is a PDF of the amps and subwoofers I picked for my budget, all compared side to side.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rockford fosgate amplifiers.pdf (282.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf
Rockford Fosgate Subwoofers.pdf (275.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-21-2012
Registered!!

Well, I never saw any list before now. Still, you shouldn't go out and buy what everyone says to buy (myself included), I mean you really ought to sample the subs before you commit to purchase. Good thing with Crutchfield is you have a couple months to get the subs fully broke- in and decide if they're for you or not. On the down side, Crutchfield rarely has the best deals, but they do make up for it with an excellent return policy and customer support. Not to mention, they are an authorized retailer for the products they carry. Unauthorized dealers often have better buys for your buck, but the factory warranty is often void due to the seller being unauthorized.

Anyways, of the subs you listed, it looks as thought the R2SD4-10 is suited best for a sealed enclosure out of all you listed, however, it's a shallow mount sub and in truth, I haven't met anyone who has preferred the output of a shallow mount compared to a standard size subwoofer. Unless you have an application in which only a shallow mount sub will fit, I strongly discourage the use of one. Most of the other subs have an EBP that indicate they would prefer a ported enclosure. Now that's not to say you can't place them in a sealed enclosure and be happy, but you won't know until you give one a listen.

From the sound of things, you don't sound as though you're wanting to make a custom enclosure specifically for the sub you choose and would rather buy a prefab enclosure. Is this correct? If so, then going ported is a much less desirable route IMO.

I see you had some 12" subs in the list as well. I, myself, wouldn't think they'd be well suited for dubstep, I mean doesn't it have some rapid bass lines? Now perhaps a SQ oriented 12" sub of reasonable quality, but not an entry level to low/mid-range 12" RF sub.

Given many of RFs subs look to prefer being in ported enclosures, I'd be tempted to go with a Punch P1S4-8 for $100 (or two for $200) and build an enclosure to specs. Might even tune it a tad bit lower to 40Hz instead of the suggested 42.7. However, going this route demands a subsonic filter, which none of the amps in your price range have. This would force you to find an alternate subsonic filter, such as the 37Hz bass blocker by Harrison Labs.

Looking at the amps, I see you have some 2-channel and even 4-channel amps in the list, don't bother with trying to use them, they're just not well suited for powering subs. I'd go with the Punch P300-1 ($160), it's sure to pump out a true 200RMS to a single sub or a solid 400RMS to a pair ran at 2 ohms, if you can afford that route.

If you were willing to buy from another retailer, such as Sonic Electronix, you could get a P2 8" for less than the P1 8" from Crutchfield. You could also save $20 on the amp.

That's my 2 cents.

If you can, try to sample different setups at your local audio shop.