I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

having problems keeping my volts up for my stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kilo5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
having problems keeping my volts up for my stereo system

like the title says I'm driving a 2000 Honda civic dx us made. I put a eclipse 8 v preout hu 4 kicker component mids powered by 450/4 jl amp and a 1 12in jl w7 powered with a 500/1 jl .i got a 5 farad cap first helped with the lights dimming but other than that i only seem to use it for the voltage reading.i did the big 3 wiring upgrade ran a bypass for the eld and upgraded my battery to a deka 551mrf i have a splitter for the power wires running in the back to feed the amps ..my problem is when I'm cranking it the amp for the mids is cutting for a couple seconds when I'm at idle i think because the amp for the sub is first on the splitter i thought the amp for the mids was going bad but if i throw on some classical without much bass my highs are deafening loud .i know the subs are being a power hog they have my volts jumping all around till the highs cut off what other options do i have besides a ho alternator cuz i don't feel like throwing 350 into it for just a commuting car and I'm Leary about eBay alts because of the internet reviews...........sorry for the long read...any help would be appreciated
Old 07-13-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: having problems keeping my volts up for my stereo system

Don't do eBay alt, get a good one! Like you said around $300 dollars for a high output one. You can turn down the gain on the amps. What gauge wire are you running?
Old 07-13-2012
Registered!!

o gauge for the big three and 4 gauge from the battery to the amps.i was looking at this guy on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-...item1e7011825d <<<<<<(don't know how to hotlink) he told me on the phone the same alt 175 shipped his feedback is decent to...i'm trying to avoid a new alt altogether but if i have to upgrade i dont think i need one of these higher end alts that people use for comps

Last edited by kilo5000; 07-13-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 07-13-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It's your money but I'm not a fan of remanufacted parts especially alternators. I would just turn the music down and save the extra $100 for a new one...your amp could be clipping if it is over driven. What are the speakers rated at?
Old 07-13-2012
Registered!!

i think 100-150 wtt each mid but i 'll play lets say isaac hayes for comparison sake and i can crank the volume on my head unit without no clipping or distortion fine for extended periods of time i think because the bass is more mellow theres no cut but as soon as i put on something that drops hard on my sub and i try to get the volume to high with the mids to emulate the same volume as the soul music my mids cut while bass stays knocking in background and i sing accapella like a *** its mostly always while at idle at a light ....not the biggest deal but i put a couple dollars into so far and i'm trying to keep cost down (married and its a **** conversation explaining why i need a 500 mechman alt)