Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

want to upgrade my rotors and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RizeLe is an unknown quantity at this point
want to upgrade my rotors and brakes

As the title says im looking to upgrade my rotors and brake system but idk which one is a good brand or i should just go to autozone and buy whatever they have. i know brembo are good but i dont want to spend all that money. im looking to spend around 500 or even a little less on the front and back. Any suggestion?
Old 04-02-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: want to upgrade my rotors and brakes

Up front.
Brembo blank rotors.
Hawk HPS pads.
SS brake lines.

In the rear, unless you have rear disks already, there's not much you can do to improve drums. You would need to buy an Si or EL rear disk conversion. Upgrading the rear really isn't overly necessary anyway though, the fronts do all the braking the majority of the time.
Old 04-02-2012
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Buy a set of axxis ultimate pads (or axxis ults as they're called now I believe) and a brand new set of autozone rotors and you're good to go.

Oh and a nice flush of the brake fluid also goes a long way. My preference is ATE super blue. Stainless steel brake lines also help, but probably unnecessary in your case.

Take the left over money you saved and buy a nice set of sticky summer performance tires. My preference are the dunlop star specs, but falken azenis and hankook rs-3's are also good choices. I ran falken azenis tires on HP pads (will never own those pads again, ugh) but nonetheless I daily drove on that setup for two summers straight and damn my car would dip on the stock suspension LOL.

No reason to spend crazy money on the brake system unless you actually track the car, but I am guessing you probably don't.

Last edited by Zeferint; 04-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zeferint
Buy a set of axxis ultimate pads (or axxis ults as they're called now I believe) and a brand new set of autozone rotors and you're good to go.

Oh and a nice flush of the brake fluid also goes a long way. My preference is ATE super blue. Stainless steel brake lines also help, but probably unnecessary in your case.

Take the left over money you saved and buy a nice set of sticky summer performance tires. My preference are the dunlop star specs, but falken azenis and hankook rs-3's are also good choices. I ran falken azenis tires on HP pads (will never own those pads again, ugh) but nonetheless I daily drove on that setup for two summers straight and damn my car would dip on the stock suspension LOL.

No reason to spend crazy money on the brake system unless you actually track the car, but I am guessing you probably don't.
thanks ill go and do that this weekend. im not really a track person i just want a nice looking honda that can keep up with other cars plus look hella nice on top of that.
Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Up front.
Brembo blank rotors.
Hawk HPS pads.
SS brake lines.

In the rear, unless you have rear disks already, there's not much you can do to improve drums. You would need to buy an Si or EL rear disk conversion. Upgrading the rear really isn't overly necessary anyway though, the fronts do all the braking the majority of the time.
out of curiosity why brembo blanks? why not slotted? ive heard problems with drilled rotors cracking but are slotted fine?

edit: unintentional thread jack. my bad
Old 04-04-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
out of curiosity why brembo blanks? why not slotted? ive heard problems with drilled rotors cracking but are slotted fine?

edit: unintentional thread jack. my bad
Slotted are fine, but not very necessary. The problems with brake pads letting off gas and creating a barrier between the pad and rotor, the reason for slots, was almost completely eliminated decades ago. You would need to have your brakes smoking hot, well into severe brake fade territory to have that issue now.

If you want to go as far as slotted rotors, put that money towards bigger OEM calipers, like NSX, Legend, S2000, ITR, Prelude.. or even a used wilwood setup.
Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Slotted are fine, but not very necessary. The problems with brake pads letting off gas and creating a barrier between the pad and rotor, the reason for slots, was almost completely eliminated decades ago. You would need to have your brakes smoking hot, well into severe brake fade territory to have that issue now.

If you want to go as far as slotted rotors, put that money towards bigger OEM calipers, like NSX, Legend, S2000, ITR, Prelude.. or even a used wilwood setup.
ahh...well they look nice lol.
Old 04-04-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with Mindbomber and Zeferint's recommendations. My last setup was Brembo Blanks, Axxis Ultimates and ATE Racing Blue.
Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

i would love to have brembo blanks but im a full time college student and work part time in a mall so i cant afford it. but i do have enough for axxis ultimate pads and some autozone rotors for now. thanks for the input
Old 04-05-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If you're on a budget, there's a good chance you'll be able to return the rotors rather than replacing.